Thread: First RC

RC Racer

Question First RC

Hey I'm brand new to RC and i don't know what i should get for my first truck. I was thinking the slash 2x4 VXL but im not sure. Can I get some help from someone with slash experience. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    That mostly depends what you want to do with it. On road, off road, both, racing, bashing, or just an all around vehicle. Do you want wheel standing hard to control power or something more controllable. 2-wheel drive will be harder to control with more power going to the drive wheels, it will want to pull the front wheels up a lot easier. while 4-wheel drive will be a lot easier to handle especially for a beginner. I love my Jato.

Edit,same as above post.

The slash would be the strongest of the sct truck options imo.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 04-04-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    mostly bashing in the gravel pit behind my house but I may do a little bit of racing. Can I put on some weighted tires to help prevent the front popping up? And I don't mind if it is hard to control.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

Quote Originally Posted by gingersquirrel98 View Post
    mostly bashing in the gravel pit behind my house but I may do a little bit of racing. Can I put on some weighted tires to help prevent the front popping up? And I don't mind if it is hard to control.
    The slash isn't much of a wheelie truck,and with the stock titan it will stay down,even with the velineon you can adjust your slipper and shock settings.
    If you want to add weight,put it up front somewhere but not the tires,that will just be more rolling mass.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks i know what shock settings are but not how to adjust them and no idea what slipper settings are... like I said, I have never even driven a hobby RC before.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC poster
    Ok thanks i know what shock settings are but not how to adjust them and no idea what slipper settings are... like I said, I have never even driven a hobby RC before.
    i would go with the slash it a strong rc and far as the slipper clutch goes there is videos bout how adjust and shock too and a lot of the guys on the forums can give ya advice too im been in rc for a while an still learning stuff

RC Racer
    Ok thanks guys. I'm going to go get my slash VXL as soon as I sell my go-kart. I'm asking $600 for it. After I buy the truck at my local hobby shop for $350, what upgrades should I buy. (assuming i get $550 for the go-kart) My birthday is also coming up and I am expecting around $300 minus $80 for an iPhone case. Keep in mind it is the VXL so it already has the velineon or however you spell it motor and the $220 ESC.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC poster
    Oh Billy ....my slash with the 12t titan will carry the front tires for 100+feet on pavement. Found that out last week. had dirt tires on my 55 chevy bodied slash and it would ride the bumper for as long as it would go straight. Fun as heck...

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppas93 View Post
    Oh Billy ....my slash with the 12t titan will carry the front tires for 100+feet on pavement. Found that out last week. had dirt tires on my 55 chevy bodied slash and it would ride the bumper for as long as it would go straight. Fun as heck...
    Don't know how you manage to do that but for the other 99% of titans billy is rite. My slash with an 8.5 turn motor and 65c lipo wouldn't to a wheelie if I tried to make it do one, and I like it that way

Carves turns on power so fast

As far as the op's question goes, a slash vxl is a great first truck. It was my second rc and I've had mine for years. If you like to customize the slash is for you. Can be tuned for any type of driving and aftermarket support is thru the roof!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-05-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: modified quote

RC poster
    I originally bought the vxl 2wd but have since stepped down to the 12t to run in a class on a dirt oval here. and as soon as i put my 55 body on it stood up and rode the bumper forever. Sometimes it would pull the wheels out a bit and set down nice. but most of the time it would go all the way up and stay there.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks guys. I'm going to go get my slash VXL as soon as I sell my go-kart. I'm asking $600 for it. After I buy the truck at my local hobby shop for $350, what upgrades should I buy. (assuming i get $550 for the go-kart) My birthday is also coming up and I am expecting around $300 minus $80 for an iPhone case. Keep in mind it is the VXL so it already has the velineon or however you spell it motor and the $220 ESC.
    the first upgrade are tires, at least the rear tires. IMO all Traxxas VXLs do not perform to their potential because of poor traction at the drive wheels. I lent a basher at my local spot my Proline Trenchers, it was night and day, the guy almost cried, his VXL was doing things never imagined. All it took were rear tires. Before he was spinning out and donuts, after he was in complete control especially under braking and steep climbs, no more wheel spin.

RC Racer
    you need to show us a vid bigpoppa 100 + on a titan what gear

the first upgrade I would and did do was power strokes the best shocks by far
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-07-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    wheels and tires, new non progressive springs, thicker shock oil(50weight works well), and aluminum caps. you will want to upgrade to lipo batteries but they require special care and a balance charger with options to discharge and storage. dont get a 3s just yet. 2s will be good for now.

RC poster
    It didnt run 100mph but it rode the bumper for 100 feet easy.

19/86 gear and tight on the clutch also had some decent dirt tires.
    that was a stock ride height. i have since lowered it and dont think it would do it again. I have no reason to lie. i wish my full scale mustang would pull the wheels like that though

RC Racer
    I ment 100+ foot wheelie on titan? like to see it how many sells

RC Racer
    It comes with a lipo and lipo charger
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC poster
    I run a 2cell in it

RC Racer
    I would for sure say slash. I have 1/16 and 1/10 slashes. 1/10 is the way to go. Get vxl, or its not great for bashing and stuff. Very durable. Love mine would highly recommend it. As others said its slightly hard to control sometimes. You get used to it and its just a great truck. Plus you can race with it!!

RC Racer
    Edit for above.

Xl may be good for bashing, but you would need lipos, which are a pain for beginners

RC Qualifier
    Depends on were you are driving it. Stampede is a great bashing truck, jumps great, better in grass. But if you are even thinking about racing. Slash is the way to go.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    RPM upgrades, tires, aluminum steering blocks, aluminum bulkhead, etc. you'll probably end up changing everything eventually, as far as shock oils the weight depends on the condition of what you're running on and temps outside

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    RPM upgrades, tires, aluminum steering blocks, aluminum bulkhead, etc. you'll probably end up changing everything eventually, as far as shock oils the weight depends on the condition of what you're running on and temps outside
    So about the shock oil, I am running in a pretty dusty pit behind my house from temps from about 90F to probably 30F (The joys of living in maine)
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Racer
    so what shock oil weight do you reccomend
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Is the terrain loose, bumpy, smooth, rough, etc.

RC Racer
    Is the terrain loose, bumpy, smooth, rough, etc.
    its a little loose in places and kind of bumpy
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Well the hotter the temps out your shock oil will get thinner and the colder out it'll get thicker but I heard the shock silicone oil isn't dramatically changed unless it's ridiculously hot or cold, like I tell other people about shock oils and tires you can't really get a good opinion cause we're not there and don't know exactly how it is but it sounds like you'll probably be in the 30-40weight range, what shocks are you running

RC Racer
    Well the hotter the temps out your shock oil will get thinner and the colder out it'll get thicker but I heard the shock silicone oil isn't dramatically changed unless it's ridiculously hot or cold, like I tell other people about shock oils and tires you can't really get a good opinion cause we're not there and don't know exactly how it is but it sounds like you'll probably be in the 30-40weight range, what shocks are you running
    Stock Slash 2x4 VXL shocks
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    If you're going to run stock shocks try the stock oil that comes in the truck which is 30weight and see how it does but eventually you'll upgrade your shocks

RC Racer
    If you're going to run stock shocks try the stock oil that comes in the truck which is 30weight and see how it does but eventually you'll upgrade your shocks
    Ok thanks what shocks do you suggest I upgrade to. I dont really want to spend more than $50 but I will if I have to.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR