RC poster

Castle creations Mamba max pro 2400kv in my stampede

I am putting the Mamba max pro 2400kv in my stampede. Two questions. First I was told to use the slash chassis, is that Really nessisary? Also what is a proper gear size to use for pinion and spur? I manly bash and love speed, but love the wheelie thing to. What I don't want is something going over 60 mph, but I also want a setup that will keep the motor ice cold on a 3s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Others will chime in regarding gearing. You don't need the Slash chassis, but you will need to modify the stampede chassis to fit the larger motor. Here is video showing how to mod the chassis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05cEh0Bppo

RC Enthusiast
    I just put the 1415 2400kv and mamba max pro sct in my pede, fits great everything's cool... But the motor. It's real hot to the touch after a 20 minute run 3s 4000 mah, esc feels hot and the esc fan wasn't on either. I am using stock gears 11/54
    Anyone know if hot to touch is still safe? Suggested gearing for general bashing? I fried the crap out of the stock motor, went with castle thinking it would run cooler... I guess without a temp gauge I just don't really know...
    Is it better to increase pinion teeth to run cool? I thought as you go up in pinion teeth, so do temps.
    If someone can suggest gearing to keep motor cool I'd like to hear

Help appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaljack View Post
    Is it better to increase pinion teeth to run cool? I thought as you go up in pinion teeth, so do temps.
    If someone can suggest gearing to keep motor cool I'd like to hear

Help appreciated!
    You are quite correct when you said that the higher you go up in pinion teeth, so do the temps. But the real answer to that is it really depends on what gearing combination you have and what application are you using the pinion for. If your into speed runs, running the 9-tooth pinion is not ideal. Or if you are a hardcore basher, putting an 18-tooth pinion will overheat the motor and cook the esc. (Keeping in mind that both pinions mentioned above are paired with the stock 54 spur on 3s).

Most important thing to do is get a temp gun first then experiment with different types of pinions. IMHO, a temp gun is a very good investment and the next best thing to get after getting a good charger. What I did was I went to my LHS and purchased a variety of pinions. 9t, 10t, 12t, 13t, 14t, 18t. I started with the 9-tooth pinion and went up from there. Ran it for 10 minutes bashing, took temp. Ran it for another 10 mins doing speed runs. Took temp. Changed to a higher pinion and did the same thing. I found the stock 11-tooth pinion to be the most ideal on 3s for mine. Take note, the experiment I did on the pinions are all based on the stock 54 tooth spur on 3s. For my pede, my max operating limit is 180 degrees and that's with an ESC fan and dual integy fans on the motor. 200 degrees is really pushing it but I don't make the motor run to that temp.

Anyways here's something to remember:
    Go up in pinion teeth: Slower acceleration, but top speed will be higher.
    Go down in pinion teeth: Faster acceleration, but top speed will be lower.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-31-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added more info for the OP to read
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Racer
    Just to add what the others have said... I run that setup in my stampede, for general bashing I would not exceed a 17/54 combo. I run this ratio myself, however my average air temp right now is 50F, when mid July comes I will drop a few teeth Im sure. I would say though it is a very quality setup and do not regret going with it.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC poster
    As for the gearing, I'm a little confused. I was told by a hobby guy that the Mamba 2400kv setup could run on 3s lipos all day on not get too hot. Granted he didn't mention the mh or c rating on the battery. He also didn't mention the gearing. But I do know he wasn't making it up. This guy was loaded with knowledge. My guess is if you run the right size 3s and gear, that Mamba max 2400kv should stay cool seeing how it's only a 3s vs a 4, or 5s.

RC Racer
    It all depends on your ground conditions and operating behavior. I have had 20/54 gearing with mine and temps were still in the safe zone but it starts becoming uncontrollable to run. I would say though for general use, ie fairly rough hard terrain, many starts and stops etc, I would start with a 15/16/17 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur. You have also to consider your overall kit weight, tire size and make. If your running on pavement then you could exceed a 20 plus tooth pinion. All my current running is done on 3s, I will be getting a 4s in the future but will drop to at least a 13-15 tooth pinon. Like the others said you need a temp gun and start experimenting, and go from there to actually determine your own gearing needs.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help thus far. Another question, if I leave the pinion the same and only change the spur, is that the exact same effect as leaving the spur the same and changing the pinion? Any pros, cons of going to the trouble of changing the spur, but leaving the pinion? Thanks

RC Champion
    I run 17/54 gearing in my p4de. I use a Losi SCTE 2800kv motor, which is almost the same as a castle 2400. I'm usually running ether 2.8 trenchers, or short course tires. With the trenchers, the motor can get pretty hot on 3S. With short course tires, it doesn't get nearly as hot.

I'll run 4S with smaller tires, but not with 2.8 trenchers. The motor gets too hot, but I usually snap a driveshaft before that happens.

RC Qualifier
    The only benefit of changing the spur to a lower tooth count on this truck is that it makes it easier to get the back half of the truck back together. The difference in speed going from 54 to 52T is 1.5-3 mph depending on the kv of your motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh91679 View Post
    Thanks for the help thus far. Another question, if I leave the pinion the same and only change the spur, is that the exact same effect as leaving the spur the same and changing the pinion? Any pros, cons of going to the trouble of changing the spur, but leaving the pinion? Thanks
    If you leave the pinion the same and only change the spur, it is NOT the same effect as leaving the spur the same and changing the pinion. It will be the opposite. Let's say you left the stock 11-tooth pinion, but decided to change the spur. Here's what will happen:

Go up with spur teeth (Larger spur): Faster acceleration, but top speed will be slower.
    Go down with spur teeth (Smaller spur): Slower acceleration, but top speed will be higher.

Pros for only for changing the spur, I can only think of one, which is you can get a higher top with with a smaller spur and larger pinion. Cons are there is a VERY limited of size to choose from. I believe that there are only 2 spur sizes (50-tooth and 52-tooth) for the stampede 4x4. Another con is when changing the spur. Very inconvenient since you have to pull the rear bulkhead out, get the spur out, and reinstall everything back. Changing pinions on the other hand is much much easier since all you have to do is remove the gear cover, loosen the current pinion, install the pinion that you want, replace the gear cover and your all set!
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Racer
    I generally just play with the pinion tooth count, and leave the spur alone, like others say its just easier

RC Enthusiast
    Great info guys, ill need to get a temp gun and maybe experiment with tires besides the trenchers. I have not weighed my truck either.

RC poster
    Thanks guys I think I will leave the spur alone for now. As for the pinion I have a 25t I'm not sure if that's way too much even with the Mamba 2400kv, but from what I've been reading here it seems like over kill, and high temps on the motor. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum dude i would start with a 17t pinion and keep the 54t spur and check temps if the motor gets to hot try a 15t pinion for bashing and if you are going to do just speed runs try 19-20t pinion....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    One more thing, are the hpi temp guns accurate enough for what I need?
    I see so many opinions on temp guns... I don't want to buy a 200$ snap on one if I don't need to... Anyone know of an accurate temp gun at reasonable price?
    I'm overwhelmed and I only checked a few places for them
    Much appreciated

RC Qualifier
    I use the PE2. There are aplenty of $10-20 guns that work fine.

RC Qualifier
    I use a Duratrax Flashpoint. $20-25 and works good. Can get one at most hobby shops. I use it with my nitros and electrics.

RC Racer
    I have a hpi temp gun, it is 1-2 +- degree to my $300-400 dollar snap-on one at work.

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet,
    I just ordered the HPI temp gun/new motor mount/pinions/antenna tube/bellcranks

Thanks for all your help guys

RC Qualifier
    Not sure why guys run the antenna. Just wrap it up and put it in the receiver box so you don't have to worry about it. The Rustler comes this way stock. I can drive it beyond sight so no worries about range.

RC Enthusiast
    I have had a major range issue with my pede since i bought it. I can get it to about 75-100 yards only. I called traxxas yesterday and they said the range on a 2.4 is half mile. He said i have an issue with my transmitter or receiver for sure. He suggested that i bind my pede to my e revo transmitter and check range. he said if range is better i need a new transmitter($40). if not i need a new receiver ($20)
    If i bind my stampede to my e revo can i unbind it? I want to be able to run both trucks at the same time with my family.
    Either way- i guess i need either a new receiver or a new transmitter.
    Thanks for the help

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaljack View Post
    I have had a major range issue with my pede since i bought it. I can get it to about 75-100 yards only. I called traxxas yesterday and they said the range on a 2.4 is half mile. He said i have an issue with my transmitter or receiver for sure. He suggested that i bind my pede to my e revo transmitter and check range. he said if range is better i need a new transmitter($40). if not i need a new receiver ($20)
    If i bind my stampede to my e revo can i unbind it? I want to be able to run both trucks at the same time with my family.
    Either way- i guess i need either a new receiver or a new transmitter.
    Thanks for the help
    check to see if antenna in the car is all the way to the end of the tube. And as far as i know the cars receiver can only store one transmitter at a time un like transmitter witch can store 20 cars at a time. so that wont hurt to try

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone have a suggestion for an upgrade on the transmitter/receiver?
    Is it all that difficult to install? Maybe a Futaba system? I'd like something I can pretty much drop in the existing receiver box if possible and run without needing to modify much. I don't want to go overkill but a decent set up would be nice.
    Would appreciate the input !!
    Thanks in advance