RC Racer

Emaxx on 6s? Any issue? trade my stampede for a emaxx?

Hello.

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl that im maby going to trade with a emaxx brushless.
    The question is are the emaxx made for 50-60mph stock?I would say a stock stampede is not made for the high speed. I have search and someone like the stampede better and someone like the emaxx better..

Stampede 4x4 vxl have issues with the driveshafts on 3s, and the motortemp gets to fast hot when its geared for 60mph with 3s, its only take some minutes before its burn hot.
    Also looked at youtube that many users have smoked the vxl 3s esc when they have connected the battery.

Im looking for a bigger truck that is a solid truck like the stampede is, but i want it to run about 50mph without breaking anything and not get a realy hot motor.

The stampede is a real solid truck if its stock, but only on 2s.
    How is a stock emaxx on 6s? Is it any issues to motor or esc?

Need to know before i will trade my stampede out for a emaxx :-)
    Last edited by Ray87; 11-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well what do you plan on doing? Some flatland high speed runs? If this is the case, then a stock Emaxx should be fine. Now if your bashing, the truck has many weak spots (A arms, bulks, etc) that are known to break easily when bashing and jumping.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Enthusiast
    have shredded many tires on 6s on my emaxx so i switched to 4s and taped/glued a set of tires tho i think i messed them up pretty badly lol. not sure diff between emaxx and stampede but i really enjoy my emaxx

RC Enthusiast
    IT be nice if you could keep your stampede and buy the emaxx then you could have some with both!I have both i run them on road mostly 3s in the pede n6s in the emaxx both are stock and yeah they get hot but ill run 1 for a while and vice versa and ive got a fan on the esc and the motor with the stampede and bigger motor fan on my emaxx that helps with the heat lots!!ON or off road the stampede can take a beatin stock the maxx stock keep him on rd and dont hjt anything and runing 6s its a challenge but its a blast with both!! FOR bashin with the emaxx off rd yep parts r going to break ive had to hop up lots of parts but it worth it and its got power to pop a stand up wheelie at 40 mph so if you got a few bucks to put hop up parts when they break i think yer going to like the e-maxx?

E-Maxx Brushless on 6s is an insane beast of a truck. With common sense and throttle management broken parts will happen but should be manageable. If you've got a lead foot so to speak I would suggest turning down some of the settings in the ESC, mainly the start up power. This will help limit the initial shock of the extreme torque the system makes without limiting your top speed. Proper slipper clutch adjustment is also critical. Too tight and you'll see increased wear / tear on the drive train.

Anything you hit at these kinds of speeds is likely to break parts. Not much you can do about that, just avoid immoveable objects. Upgrading to a ton of aluminum stuff can be a double edged sword. Added weight = more energy moving the truck into whatever your hitting. Also, you might or might not bend the alum part but you will break the next weakest link. (bulkheads instead of suspension arms for example)

I love my E-Maxx BL, the power is addictive for sure. If you understand that you're purchasing an extremely high performance machine that will eat parts depending on what's done with/to it you'll have a great time.

RC Qualifier
    Lots of good points tireslinger. My e-maxx on 6s develops a ton of torque at all speeds and the esc can heat up quickly, but a lot of than is managed by how I modulate the throttle - ripping the truck wide open and constantly braking hard is hard on any vehicle, and 6s magnifies these effects. Conversely when I'm smoother and more considerate of throttle application the truck is completely under control and stays reasonably cool.

And the only times I have had durability concerns is when I've made a course correction error and driven into something. Last time it was a mailbox pole, which sheared off an a-arm, broke one bulk head, sheared two pins, and cracked a driveshaft. Outside of exceptions like that which would break any vehicle, I've had very little to complain about with my e-maxx. Great truck, tons of fun, and very capable on many terrains.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the good answers!
    I see, its a good truck, but more parts will broke vs the stampede because of the weight, but the weight will also make the truck better in the woods and at high speed, the mamba monster could handle 6s like the stampede could handle 3s, but it is to push the system to the max.

How could i reduse startup power om the esc? Is it important to change out the rear driveshafts to metal parts?
    I will bash a bit, i could jump up to 1 meter or more without break the a arms?
    Anyone have tried it on 5s or is it not a good idea?
    How do the diferentials handle the 6s power?

And last question, do mamba make the same esc that is waterproof? Maby a good idea to change the stock out..
    Im happy for all answers i have got, i try to figure out if i should spend money to a new bigger truck or make a few upgrades to my 4x4 pede :-)

Startup power is a programing feature in the ESC. I would suggest purchasing a product called "Castle Link". It lets you hook the ESC up to your computer and adjust all kinds of cool things.

Metal drive shafts are a double edged sword. Plastic ones have flex, which reduce diff wear but the u joints can fail more easily. My suggestion here is go half way - metal shafts in the center and plastics down to the wheels. If your slipper is correctly adjusted and you're not just hammering full throttle but actually using the power band of the motor you'll have few issues. This also applies to the diff durability, it's all about how you use it. I tell people that from the time you start rolling to when the throttle trigger is pinned you should have a 3 - 5 second count. Anything more and you're usually flipping over backwards or spinning out. Either way that's wasted power, unneeded drivetrain wear and sure to cause issues. Most trucks take a few seconds to reach full speed, and if you keep the throttle consistent with the acceleration you'll see much fewer issues. The throttle is proportional for a reason, massive power = need for throttle management. This will also help reduce motor heat because you're not forcing it to strain at max power right at the start.

Jumping is all in the landing. If you can land flat and 'pancake' the skids more or less then broke parts are pretty rare. Coming down at a weird angle can lead to all kinds of different things, from no damage at all, to arms, shocks, hub carriers, drive shafts, etc. Sometimes it just luck.

Castle offers a waterproof "Mamba 2" but Traxxas does not use that ESC. It will work with everything else on the truck from the factory as far as I know.