Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Need battery help

I bought a Summit and it came with two seven cell NiMH batteries. I have an Onyx 245 charger. I have charged the batteries maybe twenty times, they seemed good at first. They now only last ten minutes per charge. And that is with both batteries plugged in. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me? Do I have to buy new batteries?

RC Racer
    U pay just want to buy lipos and be done with it

RC Qualifier
    Im not sure what the issue is with the nimh batteries, worn out or not taking a charge or the charger is not operating properly. If those are the 3000mah that came with the Summit I was only getting 15 to 25 minute runs new. My suggestion is to rid yourself of those and go lipo. I unfortunately hesitated and bought more bigger batteries 5000mah nimh, before I saw the light. The Lipos have been great 1 1/2 hour run times and the power band stays constant. There are many threads on the Summit forum and general forum about Lipos. They are actually no big deal once you educate yourself and jump in. I did alot of checking around and pricing. My suggestion is SPC - Specific Points Concepts Lipos 8200mah 50c 2s2p batteries. They were about $45 each. The owners name is Tom and he was great to work with. You can look them up on goggle. The batteries have really worked well I just wish I had done it sooner and saved the money from the Nimh.

RC Racer
    I would like to only have to buy Lipos once, and when I do I plan on buying HUGE ones. I am going to get the Kershaw aluminum chassis to hold bigger batteries, so as soon as I can afford that, I will be getting Lipos. any advice until then? Btw, I REALLY appreciate all the excellent information you guys have given me. This is the link to the aluminum chassis.

http://kershawdesigns.com/Summit-Chassis.htm

RC Champion
    I also suggest to buy lipo batts

but for now

If your onyx can do it then cycle your nimh a few times (discharge completely then recharge them) I am not certain if the onyx can do it but the more fancy chargers usually can. Nimh batts have a "memory effect" and will limit the charge capacity. by totally discharging the battery you will counteract this "memory effect" and you batts will recharge closer to their full capacity.

but yes in the long term doing this too often will shorten your over all battery life.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    ps skip the Kershaw chassis. I have heard at least 3 different horror stories from respectable board member who have complained about bending, poor craftsman ship and general poor design of the aluminum Kershaw chassis.

search the erevo bourds for more info on the kershaw chassis
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    any other aluminum chassis?

RC Champion
    Unfortunalty no. Kershaw sells the only aluminum chassis for the summit - there are some old stocks of Gorilla Maxx revo aluminum chassis still floating around (no longer manufactured) but these you would have to customize from an erevo into a summit (diffs, servos etc)

Being a new summit owner concentrate on the simple stuff (tires, brushless system, batts, and a lil bling) - thats all you need to have fun. later waste money on unneccasry things like aluminum chassis and customization. trust me - my wallet is bleeding from unneeded upgrades. But its too late for me, Im addicted.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Ok, thanks. I'm sure that's best, and I will do that. I'm just itchin' to make it MY summit instead of A summit.

RC Racer
    What are the largest, reliable batteries that will fit in the chassis without cutting anything, or making permanent modifications?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brendan3216 View Post
    What are the largest, reliable batteries that will fit in the chassis without cutting anything, or making permanent modifications?
    I don't know if there are larger (that will fit in the summit) but the performance of the 8200 mAh SPC lipos is great. People get very long run times in their summit with them.

Traxxas makes some 10000 mAh and 12800 mAh batteries I think but I haven't heard of anyone using them in a Summit. I've been a Traxxas 2wd owner for a couple years but summit owner only a short time.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

The 8200 spc lipos are the clear winners around here.great company excellent service and a good price.
    The trifecta of win,BUT investigate a good quality charging setup first.
    That's a important part of this equation

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 04-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Do the SPC 8200's fit into the Summit / ERevo battery compartments with no modifications? I was going to buy the 6500's cause they have been confirmed to fit with no issues.

Also, Ive had (2) 8000's (different brand) and both died after a short time. Some folks told me that they died because I was only charging them at 6 AMPS... As you know, 5000's should be charged at 5 AMPS, 6000's at 6 AMPS - so it may make sense... Im open to hear any thoughts on that... Curious to know what everyone is charging their 8000's at???
    Last edited by MAYOR VXL; 04-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Will the Onyx 245 charger work?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    ... Also, Ive had (2) 8000's (different brand) and both died after a short time. Some folks told me that they died because I was only charging them at 6 AMPS... As you know, 5000's should be charged at 5 AMPS, 6000's at 6 AMPS - so it may make sense... Im open to hear any thoughts on that... Curious to know what everyone is charging their 8000's at???
    Charging an RC-quality LiPo pack at least than a 1C rate will NOT damage it in any way, it will just increase the charge times.
    Typically LiPo packs die from being over-discharged, or placed in a warm ambient environment like direct sunlight in the middle of the day or left inside a hot car, or they can die from physical damage and sometimes they just wear out.

I hope the 8200 batts fit,because I've been running them for months.
    I removed the fins from the rear battery vent. route them through there.Thats all i did and i did it that way because it is easier.I charge at 1c. 8.2 amps.or 16.4 amps in parallel

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    so do you have to modify the fins to make it fit or no?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I hope the 8200 batts fit,because I've been running them for months.
    I removed the fins from the rear battery vent. route them through there.Thats all i did and i did it that way because it is easier.I charge at 1c. 8.2 amps.or 16.4 amps in parallel

Sent using lipo power
    Ditto. I use the 8200 mAh SPC batteries in my Summit. Removed the rear vent fins. I charge at 1.22C for mine: 20A/16.8Ah in parallel using an iCharger 206B from ProgressiveRC. They're rated for 2C charging but to charge both in parallel would take a more powerful charger.

If you don't want to take hours to charge a pair of the SPC 8200 mAh batteries you need a charger that can deliver 15-20A or more. The iCharger 206B is a reasonably priced option. I'm sure there are others.

An Onyx 245 will work but it may take two charge cycles to charge each battery from LVC and it does not have a storage setting. It's not a bad mid-grade charger though.

RC Racer
    What charger would you suggest? I still want to be able to charge NiMH batteries too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Do the SPC 8200's fit into the Summit / ERevo battery compartments with no modifications? I was going to buy the 6500's cause they have been confirmed to fit with no issues.

Also, Ive had (2) 8000's (different brand) and both died after a short time. Some folks told me that they died because I was only charging them at 6 AMPS... As you know, 5000's should be charged at 5 AMPS, 6000's at 6 AMPS - so it may make sense... Im open to hear any thoughts on that... Curious to know what everyone is charging their 8000's at???

Ditto what Jakey said and he is the king of Lippos. I charge mine at 6 amp and they take a little over an hour. I have both SPC 6500 and the 8200s. They both fit fine. They are tight, cut out the fins on the vents takes about 15 min with a multitool. In fact I dont know why Traxxas just doesnt do that, Its really a better way to feed your leads. The 8200 run time is longer than the 6500s. You should call SPC and talk with Tom, He knows more about lipos and the vehicles they will fit than I will ever know. He also owns a Summit so he knows of what he speaks.

RC Qualifier
    What charger would you suggest? I still want to be able to charge NiMH batteries too.
    I own a Hitec 4x. It will charge all of the battery types, it charges 4 at a time, it plugs into the wall outlet or a deep cell 12 volt battery in the field, It charges max 6 amps per battery, on lipo mode it has - charge, balance charge, fast charge, storage, and discharge. I paid $210 and it has worked great. Search the forum there are more powerful ones that other members have talked about.

RC Racer
    Ok, thank you. I do want to repeat myself though. I do not want to cut or harm ANYTHING on the summit. what options do I have?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok, thank you. I do want to repeat myself though. I do not want to cut or harm ANYTHING on the summit. what options do I have?
    Then Traxxas LiPo's are truly your best best option.
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.

RC Racer
    Do they last long?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Last as in durability or last as in run time?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Can you tell me about both?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I get about 1 hour run times on my 7600's with mixed driving... hi/low.
    I have been running the same packs for over a year with LOTS of cycles on them and they are still running strong.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the SPC packs hands down.

For what little is "needed" to install they are worth it.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    What is needed?

A pair of side cutters(dykes) or a roto tool.the part is cheap to replace if you don't for some reason like it.i have two sets of spc 8200.I run with a bunch of guys.4 of us running spc so that's 8 sets
    Of them here so far.there are 10 or 11 summit owners here.Tom may have a stronghold over here soon.lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    ok, can they at all fit without this?

ok, can they at all fit without this?
    I've run SPC 8000-class packs for over 56 months. They've all fit in the E-Revo/Summit bays. I only recently cut the fins and started running the wires through the vents. I like it better but it isn't mandatory.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I've run SPC 8000-class packs for over 56 months. They've all fit in the E-Revo/Summit bays. I only recently cut the fins and started running the wires through the vents. I like it better but it isn't mandatory.
    It's a tighter fit without cutting the fins. I also ran a few times with these packs before cutting the fins. It was harder to close the battery compartment doors but it worked. I cut the fins with side cutters (dykes) and then smoothed it with my dremel. If I ever wanted to go back I bet it'd be $10 or less to replace the vents.

RC Racer
    The fins can easily be removed using an olfa knife. I don't think it took me more than 5 minutes to cleanly remove all of the fins of the rear vents.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    Ok, I think I will have to go with that battery. where can I buy them? (fyi, I am not saying I am unable to remove the fins. I am very mechanically inclined. I just don't want to. REALLY don't want to.)

RC Racer
    Here is the website that will take you right to the 8200's:

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Will I need a new charger for these?

jonesdallas
    no, I use the Onyx 245 aswell.

RC Racer
    and it charges to full capacity?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok, I think I will have to go with that battery. where can I buy them? (fyi, I am not saying I am unable to remove the fins. I am very mechanically inclined. I just don't want to. REALLY don't want to.)
    Sincerely, if you do not want any fitment problems of any kind and you do not want to consider cutting the vent vanes at all, buy the Traxxas packs.

jonesdallas
    and it charges to full capacity?
    Sure does.