Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Freaking out! Stock Stampede is as fast as a modified Stampede running Tenshock motor

Stock stampede 11 tooth pinion = 44mph
    Tenshock sc401 3400k Stampede 17 tooth pinion= 46.7mph
    I can't imagine what the stock one will do when I put in the 17tooth pinion in!
    Same drag strip, same battery 3s 5400mah 50c. What in the world is going on??????????
    That tenshock is a monster, why is it topping out?
    What are you guys seeing with your modified setups?

How hot is the tenshock dude you may need to put a 19t pinion.Mine does the same top speed on 2s that my vxl did on 3s and on 3s i have had 63mph but ran out of road.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I think there's a problem with your Tenshock... Stock is 3500kv and yours is 3400kv... They should have almost same speed!!

Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538463
    Transmission Ratio: 1
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 54
    Pinion Tooth Count: 17
    Total Voltage: 11.10
    Motor KV: 3400
    Tire Diameter (inches): 4.6
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0

Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.18 : 1
    Total Ratio: 9.04072 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 14.45 inches (367.06 mm)
    Rollout: 1.60:1

Total Motor Speed: 37740 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 57.13 mph (91.77 km/h) <------
    Effective KV Value: 3400

Stock stampede with 17t pinion can run 60mph, so you should be supposed to run AT LEAST 55mph..

My tenshock is a 3500kv and on2s its as fast as my mates mini revo on 3s and when i put a 3s in it just turns into a rocket......peace

RC Qualifier
    My 2400kv MMP can run 55mph on 3s with 22t pinion
    ...and 70mph with my 4s lipo.... But it's just crazy, I never tried it...YET!

RC Racer
    Only thing I can think of is the modified one is running trenchers, and I set the lipo cut off voltage at 3.4v instead of 3 or 3.2 and I heard the sc8 reading is off so you may set at 3.4 and its actually cutting off at 3.7 or 3.8v. At least once that I remember I was doing a speed run and it was 3/4 throttle when it got past me I went full throttle and it was like I just turned it off! I have video of it you can hear it, I shall post soon.

RC Qualifier
    thats weird. Kinda makes me feel stupid cuz i was just talkin so highly of them in another thread....
    Ive never heard of anybody getting a bad tenshock...but anything is possible

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
    Only thing I can think of is the modified one is running trenchers, and I set the lipo cut off voltage at 3.4v instead of 3 or 3.2 and I heard the sc8 reading is off so you may set at 3.4 and its actually cutting off at 3.7 or 3.8v. At least once that I remember I was doing a speed run and it was 3/4 throttle when it got past me I went full throttle and it was like I just turned it off! I have video of it you can hear it, I shall post soon.
    Lipo cut off voltage can be part of the problem if the battery is bad quality, even if it's rated 50c, it may be overrated? or is 50c the MAX burst rate (instead of continuous discharge capacity)? I have a venom 35c 5000mah 3s lipo for my MMP 2400kv and NEVER experienced issue like that... max burst rate is 70c.
    Also, what is your ESC?
    Last edited by emmanhello; 04-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    thats weird. Kinda makes me feel stupid cuz i was just talkin so highly of them in another thread....
    Ive never heard of anybody getting a bad tenshock...but anything is possible
    Well it is very rare that someones having a problem with tenshock motor but if its running cool i say gear up and turn the punch to 6 or 7.....peace

RC Racer

http://youtu.be/sEP4v3RL1_U
    Here is a video of it stuttering going down the road too, I am holding throttle steady. Weird!

RC Qualifier
    Feel like is either the esc or the battery. What brand are they?

RC Champion
    Are you running the stock VXL ESC on the Tenshock motor? is the Tenshock motor a 4 pole? If so, thats the problem

It does not even sound right are you sure none of the bearing have gone and mine did not run well with one of my first lipos and it was 6500mah 25-50c rating and now i am using a 6400mah 40-80c 3s and its hard to keep on the wheels and not the roof

RC Racer
    hobbywing sc-8 and batt is the spc brand everyone on here recommends all new

What setting are you using on the esc and is the driveline super smooth.....peace

RC Racer
    that was level 9 punch, sounds smooth untill you mesh motor to spur then its loud if you roll it across the floor, has all new bearings and a new king headz mount too.

Try the punch on 5-6 and see if it still does it and i run my lvc at 3.2 as well.and it could be asking to much of the battery
    Last edited by spenniepoos; 04-03-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: thinking to much to help a friend

RC Racer
    yeah I need to adjust that to 3.2. I am going to run the 17 tooth pinion in the stock Stampede after work and see what happens kinda like a benchmark point.

RC Champion
    I have the SC401 3500 in my Slash and I'm not impressed either. I don't know if I got a bad motor out of box or it just doesn't meet expectation. Picked up a used Castle 3800 to test but it's the smaller shaft and none of my pinions fit. Based off memory the SC401 doesn't seem any faster than my old Slash 2wd VXL or Rustler VXL.
    / 16

Does that mean my motor is a one off because it runs like a dream and other people love there tenshocks as well i just do not understand it........peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are the Trencher tires larger in diameter than the stock tires and if so by how much? What is the stock Stampede pinion gear?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The 2 motors should run about the same speed on the same gearing. They have almost identical kv ratings. Now as you gear them up, you should be able to pull taller gearing and stay cooler with the 4 pole over the vxl. That is where the advantage of that motor lies... As you give it a bigger load, the tenshock should outperform the vxl then.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

My tenshock sc411 3500kv would eat my vxl for lunch.......peace

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I will never go back to stock after running a tenshock.

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I am not saying that the tenshock will not out accelerate the vxl, just that they will have the same top speed on normal stock gearing. Gear the thing up, and the tenshock will be able to run a higher top speed due to higher torque...

The op was wondering why both motors had the same top speed... They both have the same kv rating is the answer.

RC Champion
    I recently got a 3400kv tenshock motor and I'm not impressed with it either. Maybe they had a bad batch or something? And yes my batteries are powerful enough.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

Does gearing up help?????

I know what you are saying rag and its people like you that i look up too manBut the people that are saying they are not impressed with the tenshock have maybe not looked into the settings enuff or there batteries are not up to the job with the settings or gearing they are using or just have a duff motorMine is been on point since i got it in august last year with some fine tuning on the esc like punch at 5-7,no drag brake,lowest timing,lvc set at 3.2,And lipo set at the pack size i am using at the time and not at auto pick and so on.......peace

Quote Originally Posted by noobiznessracin View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I will never go back to stock after running a tenshock.
    Well its nice to see someone apart for me thats lovin the motor..........peace out
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-04-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Does gearing up help?????
    In my case I couldn't gear up because of temps. I might try without my Dusty Covers shroud and see if I can keep heat down that way.
    / 16

Or maybe drop down to a 15t pinion and mess about with the punch and see if that helps dudeand try and use a battery over 5000mah and 40c plus rating............peace

RC Champion
    Could bad soldering have anything to do with it? I know all my solder points are pretty bad. Not sure how that would contribute to heat though.
    / 16

RC Racer
    Only solder connections on this setup are the ones at the motor, which actually turned out good (strong, shiny in appearance), I know what a cold solder joint looks like in my line of work. I now believe after the speed control started on fire yesterday it was just a bad esc from the start. Even if they warranty speed control, I am out a $75 battery.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Time for an MMP. Good luck and hope you get it sorted out man. I guess it goes with saying that customer service goes a long way when things like this occur. You said you are out 75 dollars right does this mean there is no warranty?? If so I would not purchase another esc of the same type, JMO.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Are the Trencher tires larger in diameter than the stock tires and if so by how much? What is the stock Stampede pinion gear?
    Trenchers are 4.85" diameter, which puts them around a quarter inch or so taller I believe. They'll balloon to over 6 inches while driving at speed though, and they're considerably heavier than the stock talons.

Stock stampede gearing is 11/54.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Trenchers are 4.85" diameter, which puts them around a quarter inch or so taller I believe. They'll balloon to over 6 inches while driving at speed though, and they're considerably heavier than the stock talons.

Stock stampede gearing is 11/54.
    So the truck was geared up by at least 7 teeth on the pinion gear, yet the operator saw only a 2.7 mph increase in top speed? Plus the vehicle had to accelerate heavier tires as well? Maybe the resulting amp load was just too much for the ESC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
    Only solder connections on this setup are the ones at the motor, which actually turned out good (strong, shiny in appearance), I know what a cold solder joint looks like in my line of work. I now believe after the speed control started on fire yesterday it was just a bad esc from the start. Even if they warranty speed control, I am out a $75 battery.
    Didn't realize that was your thread. I'm going to see if I can find someone to resolder my motor and ESC by mail, the one LHS doesn't do it.
    / 16

[QUOTE=emmanhello;5471943]Beware of the Hobbywing SC-8![/QUOTEThats only one case of it failing and other people are using them in all types of trucks and sct and swear by them and in all the years i have seen a ton of castle stuff go up in smoke so dont poke.....peace dude

[QUOTE=spenniepoos;5472070]
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Beware of the Hobbywing SC-8![/QUOTEThats only one case of it failing and other people are using them in all types of trucks and sct and swear by them and in all the years i have seen a ton of castle stuff go up in smoke so dont poke.....peace dude
    Kind of hard to deny the quality issues when there are so many reports of failure. Yes all companies have some failures but good companies like Traxxas and Castle take care of their customers when these things happen. With a Hobby Wing you are pretty much on your own.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I'm just saying I only have hobbywing esc's and have never had a failure.( knock on wood) and hobbywing does offer a 180 day warranty.