RC Enthusiast

Cool New to RCs... any general advice?

Hey, everyone! I just bought the Monster Jam Son-uva Digger for me and my 4-year-old son to have as a hobby together and we're both super stoked on our truck. I'm glad I decided to pull the trigger and get us into RCs.

So, as a total noob to hobby-grade RCs (we've had a few toy grade that we've enjoyed. We drove our Maitso Rock Crawler until it flat-out died!), I was wanting to post in here to get some advice and ideas from those of you who have been Stampede fans for a while.

We can already see that we're going to need the wheelie bars ASAP, so we've got that one covered and should be ordering that soon.

I DO have one easy question to start... the white plastic washers / spacers; you put those under the body or on top? I thought it was under but a friend said on top.

Another... should I make any adjustments to the shocks with the supplied parts Traxxas gave us with the truck to make it any better? (not like it isn't awesome already)

OK, I now open the floor to you for advice and ideas on upgrades and mods.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being an active part of this board!

Digger_Daddy

Traxxas Monster Jam Son-uva Digger
    w/ TQ 2.4GHz

I strongly recommend aluminum caster blocks once you bend the caster block pins (vertical kingpins):
    STRC aluminum ones in any of five different colors; or
    Traxxas aluminum ones in one of the three different colors.
    The addition of an RPM wide front bumper in blue or black or a Slash 2WD front bumper, also by RPM and also in blue or black or from Traxxas, esp. if you can fit it over the blue SuD bumper is also recommended.

General Advice: Unless you KNOW your LHS (local hobby shop) knows what they're doing - and all of mine do - come HERE to the forum for advice and go to the shop for parts. The reason for this is simple: this subforum is focused on one basic patform with a few variations and the members here will give you the benefit of literally man-decades or man-centuries of experience with it. The guys at the LHS can't hope to compare. Unfortunately, many don't even try to see past the $ of the part they're trying to foist on you. Still, the good ones are sometimes worth their weight.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Its opinion on the washers. Either side has advantages. Personaly I used them on the bottom of my P4de with hummer body, but used them top side with the stocker. The flimsy stock box cracks around the mount holes easily.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Champion
    I use mine on the bottom but I see alot of people using them on the top too.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

They are there to stop the pins from coming through the body. Since the underside of the body is supported well by the body mounts, use them on top. I know that it looks pretty silly that way, but it works best that way.

Now if you want to shoogoo them to the underside, it can really make that area strong, and you won't need to put them on top. Just scuff the areas the shoogoo touches on both the body and the washers. Welcome to our great hobby 8)
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    They are there to stop the pins from coming through the body. Since the underside of the body is supported well by the body mounts, use them on top. I know that it looks pretty silly that way, but it works best that way.

Now if you want to shoogoo them to the underside, it can really make that area strong, and you won't need to put them on top. Just scuff the areas the shoogoo touches on both the body and the washers. Welcome to our great hobby 8)
    Or use mesh drywall tape and shoe goo / amazing goop adhesive to fortify the area before the inevitable destruction occurs:

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Or use mesh drywall tape and shoe goo / amazing goop adhesive to fortify the area before the inevitable destruction occurs:
    Lots of people are also using liquid rubber spray from hardware stores...apparently they are great
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=liquid+rubber

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger_Daddy View Post
    Hey, everyone! I just bought the Monster Jam Son-uva Digger for me and my 4-year-old son to have as a hobby together and we're both super stoked on our truck. I'm glad I decided to pull the trigger and get us into RCs.

So, as a total noob to hobby-grade RCs (we've had a few toy grade that we've enjoyed. We drove our Maitso Rock Crawler until it flat-out died!), I was wanting to post in here to get some advice and ideas from those of you who have been Stampede fans for a while.

We can already see that we're going to need the wheelie bars ASAP, so we've got that one covered and should be ordering that soon.

I DO have one easy question to start... the white plastic washers / spacers; you put those under the body or on top? I thought it was under but a friend said on top.

Another... should I make any adjustments to the shocks with the supplied parts Traxxas gave us with the truck to make it any better? (not like it isn't awesome already)

OK, I now open the floor to you for advice and ideas on upgrades and mods.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being an active part of this board!

Digger_Daddy

Traxxas Monster Jam Son-uva Digger
    w/ TQ 2.4GHz

GLAD YOU STARTED THE AWESOMENESS OF RC ! ! !
    TO AWNSER YOUR FIRST Q, I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THE PLASTIC WASHERS GO UNDER THE BOY, NOT OVER.

FOR YOU SECOND QUESTION, THAT TOTALY DEPENDS IF YOU FEEL COMFY OR NOT WITH THE WAY THEY REACT, ABSORB SHOCKS. YOU CAN ALSO USE THE SHOCK SPACERS THAT COME IN TWO PLASTIC BAGS WITH THE TRUCK . . .

A GOOD ADDITION WOULD BE AN HPI FIREBOLT (HEATS LESS AND ALL) CHEAP : 20 $

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-d&daysprune=7

A PRO LINE BODY FOR LOOKS (ONCE YOU GET TIRED OF THE STOCK ONE) . ..
    THE COMBINATIONS ARE INFINITE . . .

GO LOOSE ! ! !

Just be sure to pay attention to the Rules here.
    Like this one:
    • Typing in All Caps. TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS LIKE YELLING!!!! Nobody appreciates it so avoid it unless you mean to yell. Of course then you will probably be running into problems with some of the other rules! (Warning points: 1)

RC Competitor
    For the Body / Shell Fiberglass drywall tape and Marine Amazing Goop is a must. I Did my Digger body a year ago, and the hols are still perfect. Its very easy to do.

I love the Traxxas Alum parts, especially the bearing carriers as they upgrade your stock bushings to bearings. That will make a difference as your tires will turn easier.

For A Arms and almost everything else, I love RPM. You should also look at the Pro-Line Masher 2.8 tires to replace the stock monster jam ones. They look amazing, are slightly bigger and work better off road.

I'm also assuming your running the stock XL-5 setup. Once your son gets older and used to the truck, drop the Velineon VXL-3s setup in there are really see what it can do. Don't forget the Wheelie bar, with the optional Traxxas Wheelie bar wheels. The stock plastic wheels suck.
    Founder of the Mini Monsters RC group

Quote Originally Posted by piedigger View Post
    GLAD YOU STARTED THE AWESOMENESS OF RC ! ! !
    TO AWNSER YOUR FIRST Q, I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THE PLASTIC WASHERS GO UNDER THE BOY, NOT OVER.
    Back when traxxas did not supply a support on the body mount, you would use the them under the body. Now that traxxas added a support under the body, its kind of redundant to put that washer under the body. It will not do anything... Put the washer on top of the body, this will protect the body from the hard sharp metal edges of the body clip from popping through the soft thin lexan body.

Ksb, do you like the amazing goop better than goo, or are they pretty much the same? Never tried goop yet...

They are made by the same company and have the same main ingredients. I've used S.G. and the Household, Marine, and Plumbing versions of A.G. All work equally well though I think S.G. may be harder when set. I find it easier to find A.G. at cheaper places, so that's what I typically use.
    Edit (answer to question below):
    A.G. 3.7oz $4.57 for one of any type, $33.14 - $35.94 for six depending on type.
    S.G. 3.7oz not sold as one, $$32.94 for six.
    Yes, I know it's more expensive in the six-packs. I don't set the prices, I just report them.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.

I get the large tube of sg at my h/w store for 6$(hobbytown sells the small tube for 9$), is the ag priced similarly, or cheaper? I use a lot of this stuff lately...

RC Qualifier
    I don't want to beat this body washer thing to death but Ill echo what Rag6 has said in #11. I'm not sure if what I do is considered right or wrong but I use mini mount body foams under all my bodies so they don't rattle and I do use the white washers on top of the body, under the body clip. And KSBs thing with the mesh tape and goop is great as well. I'm an amazing goop man, but I think it's all about the same for this purpose. I can tell you this for sure about the stock pede body, if you use it with nothing top or bottom and just put the body clip on, it's only a matter of time before body rips in that spot from an impact/crash and when you get the body clip stuck half way though there it can be amazingly fouled up and stuck to the point you need pliers to pull the pin out and remove the body. It's a mess...

Also, I don't know what the general opinion is of those DuBro body clip retainers but my opinion is they are borderline hideous, but man do they ever keep you from losing body clips, not that clips are expensive, but it's aggravating. If I had a dollar for every body clip that the wind gust blew off my tailgate into grass or stones, Id be maybe not rich, but "comfortable".

I actually really like a stock pede body because its light.

RC Qualifier
    Take a body washer, grab some clear plastic( your little bros cd case or video game case is good , especially if he owes you money). Grab a marker , outline 4 washers, drill the center holes, then cut em out with curved lexan scissors for CLEAR body washers, yeeaahhh! When yer bro asks where the case to his cd is , just act dumb.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dugsguns View Post
    Take a body washer, grab some clear plastic( your little bros cd case or video game case is good , especially if he owes you money). Grab a marker , outline 4 washers, drill the center holes, then cut em out with curved lexan scissors for CLEAR body washers, yeeaahhh! When yer bro asks where the case to his cd is , just act dumb.
    HA! That's a great idea about the CD cases. I know I always end up with one or 2 that are broken and I'm going to throw the case away, so that's a good way to repurpose them without them totally going to waste. I can see tracing those, drilling them and then hitting all the edges with some fine grit sandpaper to smooth and round them off.

Idea: What about putting the washers underneath and using some clear screen protector film (Like you would use on your iPhone, etc.) on the top of the body? You get the scratch protection you need while getting the additional stability and protection of the washers underneath. Think that would work?

I also like the idea of treating the underside with the liquid rubber spray. I might have to look into that.

I'm also sensing that I should just go ahead and spend the $20 on the bearing carriers (at least on the front?) to avoid the inevitable breaking that's going to happen on the first big curb smack.

This is all great stuff, guys... I truly appreciate the help. What else do you have for me? Anything I haven't thought of? Keep the suggestions / advice coming!
    Traxxas Monster Jam Son-uva Digger w/ TQ 2.4GHz