RC poster

XL-5 + Titan 550 21T - largest cell count?

With the original Titan 12T burned and no ready replacement, I installed a Titan 550 21T (14.4V) into the XL-5 Stampede. With the original gears, the engine remains cold after a stock 7-cell NiMh pack.
    The manual says 8-cell NiMH is the highest I can use, but is it still true with the higher voltage engine? Can I put, say, a 10-cell NiMH, or two 6-cell packs with the XL-5? What's the highest cell count you tried with the XL-5?
    I am asking about NiMH, but I guess 3S is another option...

RC Champion
    The XL-5 will only handle 8-cell (9.6v) maximum, any more and the system will blow!

RC Champion
    How fast is it with that motor?
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I couldn't see that motor getting any kind of high speeds with just over half it's rated power input. Not to mention the short runtimes.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    You can gear it taller with the 21T. Go up a few teeth at a time and keep checking motor temps.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC poster
    Yeah, installing a 23 tooth is something I need to do first. I see others did try it, so Xl-5 does not fry up immediately:
    http://www.*************.com/forum/s...anyone-Try-yet

It is noticeably slower, than the Titan 12T, albeit still fun to drive.

RC Champion
    I would order a new proper motor for that truck unless you don't mind slow speeds.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Captain Speed........ If your looking for a 550 12t that will last. Here it is spelled backward.. i-s-o-l
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

The electrifly s-600 is a great replacement for the Titan and is only 16 bucks at tower.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    OK it's a very old thread, but it took me a while to buy the batteries etc. I switched to 3s LiPo (25c) AND 23 tooth gear, low voltage buzzer and it works! The stampede is noticeably faster, scarily faster in fact, jumping up on speed bumps, and completely undriveable on a slush. Even with the 23t gear it does wheely with proper throttle technique (and I do not mean reverse-forward).
    The engine is hot after a few runs, but probably not more than it was with the original 12t titan. XL-5 is cool and so is the battery - unlike with the stock setup. So far I was using it for speed runs on tarmac, mostly. For off road bashing smaller gear probably makes more sense, as the top speed would only lead to breakages.
    Given that the no-sticker Titan 21T replacements (same motor) are still available for 4 bucks, I consider the experiment a success, so far. Thank you all for the hints.

If i may, I'd like to refer to the case of "As versus If" lol 😜

You're saying that you are successfully running the XL-5 with the 21t titan on 3s lipo and a 23 tooth pinion, and the Xl-5 hasnt blown smoke rings? I think I would have to see it to believe it cuz I've smoked xl-5's with less and i didn't think the XL-5 would even initialize with that much voltage input, but ive never tried. I could be wrong though and would love to see it, so if you can, post up some video.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusz.szczurek View Post
    OK it's a very old thread, but it took me a while to buy the batteries etc. I switched to 3s LiPo (25c) AND 23 tooth gear, low voltage buzzer and it works! The stampede is noticeably faster, scarily faster in fact, jumping up on speed bumps, and completely undriveable on a slush. Even with the 23t gear it does wheely with proper throttle technique (and I do not mean reverse-forward).
    The engine is hot after a few runs, but probably not more than it was with the original 12t titan. XL-5 is cool and so is the battery - unlike with the stock setup. So far I was using it for speed runs on tarmac, mostly. For off road bashing smaller gear probably makes more sense, as the top speed would only lead to breakages.
    Given that the no-sticker Titan 21T replacements (same motor) are still available for 4 bucks, I consider the experiment a success, so far. Thank you all for the hints.
    I would like to know where and if the 550 12T also has a no sticker replacement. I am going to order a electrifly s-600 to play with but for $4 I wouldnt mid ordering a few motors.

RC Champion
    The Titan 21T is a 550 motor. So in 540 terms its in the 25-30T range. Because of this it does not work the XL-5 all that hard. And while its not recommended many people in the crawler/scaler scene run 3s through the XL-5. But they are running high turn motors similar to the Titan 21T. So its not all that hard to believe. About the only issue I can think of is the low voltage cutoff. It may not be able to detect a 3s battery properly.

And with gearing you dont need a fast motor to go fast. A slower motor has a lot more torque allowing it to handle higher gearing. This is why GM got away with such underpowered cars for years and why Banks has a 217 mile an hour S-10.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    The Titan 21T is a 550 motor. So in 540 terms its in the 25-30T range. Because of this it does not work the XL-5 all that hard. And while its not recommended many people in the crawler/scaler scene run 3s through the XL-5. But they are running high turn motors similar to the Titan 21T. So its not all that hard to believe. About the only issue I can think of is the low voltage cutoff. It may not be able to detect a 3s battery properly.

And with gearing you dont need a fast motor to go fast. A slower motor has a lot more torque allowing it to handle higher gearing. This is why GM got away with such underpowered cars for years and why Banks has a 217 mile an hour S-10.
    I have a thorough understanding of gearing up high torque (low kv) motors for speed and less heat, thats why i run the castle 2400 kv In my HR p2de at 43/72.

I could see the xl-5 surviving in a high turn motor crawling application where the esc likely wont be over amped, but i would think that the bec would have to be disconnected for running 3s, no matter what motor is used. In a bashing application where full throttle pulls are done often, i have my doubts about the longevity of the xl-5 on 3s.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV

RC Champion
    I've been running a 5000mAh 9.6v pack and a Trinity Monster Maxx 21t with 90/12 gears in my SCX10 and did so for a little while with a XL-5, didn't have any issues with it then. I also have a stretched Wheely King that has been built as a monster truck and am currently running a XL-5/Titan 12t combo, which has only run with a Duratrax ONYX 5000mAh 25c 2s lipo (had it little more than 6 months and it started to puff....not thrilled) and a Thunder Power 3250mAh 45/90c 3s LiPo with a couple different gears. The last time I ran the WK on 3s I was racing friends and probably could have used more gear, or at least a good brushless system, and the electronics didn't get too, too hot. I'd prefer a 3s LiFe pack for the SCX10, just can't find any really huge ones...seeing as that truck goes 3 hours on a charge, I don't really need one, but it would be nice
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    I always wondered about an xl-5 on 3s with a 21 turn titan in a pede, in theory it sounded okay if geared right with stock tires anyway. Someone should try the stock 12 turn & xl-5 on 14/90 gearin with a 3s 20c 2200mah battery and see how that goes, heh.

RC poster
    It definitely looks OK, the voltage regulator is cooler after a bashing session than with the stock 12T motor. I'm uploading a little sampler here: http://youtu.be/0dyAKXXURuY . Not particularly impressive running, as my street is still so full of grit and sand that running straight with this monster is difficult on the stock tires. I will extend the little film with speed tests, off road runs, temperature readings and onboard camera when I have a moment.

RC Qualifier
    Come on post some more videos!! I wana see it go.

RC poster
    I would gladly oblige, but it's still snowing in here! What a spring...