RC poster

New motor help please!

I bought a used slayer on eBay, put a brand new 3.3 motor in it and am having problems breaking it in. It has pull start, good igniter and glow plug. I can get it to start and idle for like 10-15 sec then dies. If I touch the throttle it dies right away. Is it possible I have an air leak somewhere? I changed the o ring in the gas cap also

RC Competitor
    Could be your HSN and/or LSN are a bit to lean as well. Recommend that you take note of where the settings currently are and then richen up the HSN or LSN a bit (only do one at a time though) and see if that helps.

I personnaly would start with the HSN and if that doesn't help then set the HSN back to original spot and then try LSN.

RC Qualifier
    Usually a new motor is set rich from the factory. In my experiences it was a tad too rich. I leaned my hsn just a tad to get it running. I don't know if yours is too rich, but mine always were. Maybe if you can describe what it sounds like when it is running.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Racer
    Is it pushing a lot of blue smoke out the exhaust? Or little to no smoke?

Buying used youll have a lot of headaches at first until you get know the truck, i got two trucks off a customer of mine and i have nothing but problems with them.
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

RC poster
    Haven't had it running long enough to watch for smoke, however I have noticed brown fluid coming out the exhaust. Is that possible un burned fuel? I'm gonna try it again tomorrow and I will maybe lean it up a bit and try. I had tried making it richer, since the manual said if it stalls to try that.

RC Competitor
    How old is the fuel your using, I'm asking because you said you saw brown stuff coming out of your exhaust, I had this problem too with the fuel, you may want to get some new fuel.

RC poster
    I bought the fuel a couple weeks ago when I got the truck. I've been putting fresh fuel in the truck when I try to get it running.

RC Racer
    if your getting fluid out of the exhaust lean out your carb a little bit to see if it'll stay running it sounds to be too rich and as for the brown fluid are you using the old exhaust off the truck or did you get a new exhaust and is the carb new or off the old engine? Clean out the muffler with carb cleaner and the carb as well if they are off the old engine.

With a new engine always check the engine to make sure all the bolts are tight and also reset to factory setting. You never know someone may have opened the box looked at the engine and played with the needles.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Competitor
    I just bought a new slayer, the factory hsn are four turns out from closed. Go 3 , an 1 an 3/4 turns out on lsn. I was having the same problem with break in. This worked great for me.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the help, was able to get it fired up and broke in this weekend. Had to lean the hsn a little and it fired right up. On my first tank after break in though it flipped and broke the rear rod end. Lol now the real fun begins

RC Racer
    Glad we could be of assistance, and welcome to the forums! It's a tough truck so bash it HARD!!!

RC poster
    I want to also Thank you all! I am not new to rc or traxxas,however I am new to nitro. I bought my slayer yesterday and had the exact same problem today while trying to break it in. And did the exact same thing with the same results! I will hopefully get to tune it tomorrow.

RC Racer
    WOOO Yeah another converted to disturbing the neighborhood side!!!!