RC Competitor

18volt Dewalt motor

Hey guys,

I got. T-maxx and not fond of the nitro. I have an old 18volt Dewalt motor laying around and wondering what the best gearing and lipo pack would be with this motor.

Also, what is a good cheap esc I could use? I have an xl-5 esc but want to run a 4-6 lipo pack.

Thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    HW sc8 esc is good and cheap but only good up to 4s and I'm not very familiar with the dealt motors so I'm not sure what kind of escs will work within but the sc8 might
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The DeWALT is brushed... the SC8 is brushless, so it is not going to work.

For the 18v, you definitely need at least 5S if not 6 to really wake it up. Even if you wanted to run 2S the XL5 would not be able to push a Maxx around. The cheapest option might be to get a used/chop shop EVX2 and a 14v DeWALT... unless you want to drop some dough on a Castle Monster 2.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    I just got a 4s leopard esc and 2500kv Kershaw Designs system for my p4de. Thought since I had the dewalt laying around it may work. Perhsps I will just go back to Kershaw and get another esc/motor combo for this setup

RC Champion
    I'm wondering if one of the ESC that can be programed to run both brushed and brushless would handle 5s or 6s? Problem is that those ESC are usually pricey.

The EVX-2 can only handle two 2s LiPo (8.4v each) and it does an internal serial connection so the output to the would be 16.8 max. That might be a bit under powered for an 18v DeWalt. I guess it might run cool though.

The other issue that comes to mind is mounting and gearing. I'm assuming the 18v motor is larger than the 14.4 DeWalt. As it is with the 14.4 motor, it's considerably larger than the stock 550 Titans. The "Traditional" way to mount the 14.4 is to shave down the body of the tranny and custom cut the motor plate. Then put on a large pinion in order to reach the spur gear. I have seen where some folks reverse mounted the DeWalt with custom made mounts. This method puts the motor over the receiver box. mounting it in this fashion eliminates the need for grinding the tranny.

Oh wait, your talking about converting a nitro to electric… So your going to have to do some custom mounting anyways. Heck, give it a shot with the EVX-2 and some 2s LiPo's. Worst case is that it's under powered. If so then just get a 14.4 DeWalt.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    I'm wondering if one of the ESC that can be programed to run both brushed and brushless would handle 5s or 6s? Problem is that those ESC are usually pricey.

The EVX-2 can only handle two 2s LiPo (8.4v each) and it does an internal serial connection so the output to the would be 16.8 max. That might be a bit under powered for an 18v DeWalt. I guess it might run cool though.

The other issue that comes to mind is mounting and gearing. I'm assuming the 18v motor is larger than the 14.4 DeWalt. As it is with the 14.4 motor, it's considerably larger than the stock 550 Titans. The "Traditional" way to mount the 14.4 is to shave down the body of the tranny and custom cut the motor plate. Then put on a large pinion in order to reach the spur gear. I have seen where some folks reverse mounted the DeWalt with custom made mounts. This method puts the motor over the receiver box. mounting it in this fashion eliminates the need for grinding the tranny.

Oh wait, your talking about converting a nitro to electric… So your going to have to do some custom mounting anyways. Heck, give it a shot with the EVX-2 and some 2s LiPo's. Worst case is that it's under powered. If so then just get a 14.4 DeWalt.
    The DeWalt 12V 14.4V and 18V are the same size motors, physically. The mount is different depending on how old the tool is. If it's an XRP, the mount should work, if it's an older VSR series, it has a funny mount that I'm trying to figure out how to make work or how to remove... see photos in #22 (12V motor) and #30 (18V motor) of this thread:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=dewalt

The older EVX2 ESC can handle 5S as long as the 3S battery is on the non-BEC battery connector. The newer EVX2 ESC with LiPo LVC can only handle up to 4S.

Good luck!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?