RC Qualifier

Stupid Question...

I'm new to RC and I am going to upgrade to brushless. I still have stock battery's though. When I get my new motor and esc will the stock stampede batterys last shorter? If they do what Lipo battery's are affordable and better?

RC Qualifier
    Yes mate you'll need Lipos to get the most from the brushless motors. You'll also need a good Lipo charger.
    Different brands of Lipos can't be discussed here (I don't think)

RC Qualifier
    If you wanna keep that truck in decent shape (without many mods) just get a 2cell with a decent (maybe 5000 mah). That will give you a good 30 plus min of runtime (on vxl)

What I mean is 3 cell will be a bit much to handle on stock platform.

Ps you may need an expansion pack to fit much bigger batteries but there only a couple bucks.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Champion
    One of the best values in lipo batteries is SPC. Less than $30 for a great quality 2S high 5000 mAh battery or get a 8200 mAh 2S for under $50 (needs battery expansion kit). They also have 3S if you want insane speeds. I only own 2S but my friend has several of their 3S packs.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    But it will be ok with nimh right?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    But it will be ok with nimh right?
    Depends on the brushless system, from what I hear. Traxxas Velineon works with NiMh and is waterproof. Castle creations systems have more power and are programmable (the new Sidewinder SV3 is waterproof) but I don't think they work that well with NiMh batteries. My stampede slash and rustler all have castle brushless run on SPC 2S LiPo batteries. My summits I run on LiPo or occasionally on NiMh batteries.

Any RC will run better on lipo batts b/c the power delivery is more consistent through the run time. You need to have a charger that can balance charge lipo batteries as well if you go lipo. Any charger that can do that will still charge your NiMh too.

RC Qualifier
    I have two nimh batteries, do you thiml I could run two of those? If I did that, where would I put the two batteries?

RC Champion
    I have two nimh batteries, do you thiml I could run two of those? If I did that, where would I put the two batteries?
    You could but all that would do is give you slightly longer performance and you would need a parallel connector. Its like putting unleaded in a lambo not good.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    I don't think the stampede has room for two batteries. You could probably make room in a rustler or slash but not a stampede, at least not with the 7-cell hump packs. You might be able to put two 6-cell flat packs on top of each other with a long Velcro battery strap but in parallel you'd be going down in voltage so going slower and in series you'd be over the voltage the ESC can handle so it wouldn't work.

Much better to buy a high capacity LiPo, at least 5000 mAh. I'd recommend 2S to start.

RC Qualifier
    Also take in account of your transmiter is it the 27mhz or the 2.4ghz the brushless is a little bit off(for a lack of better wording) with brushless I say that should be taken into account (sorry had to add my 2cents)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    Also take in account of your transmiter is it the 27mhz or the 2.4ghz the brushless is a little bit off(for a lack of better wording) with brushless I say that should be taken into account (sorry had to add my 2cents)
    Maybe a little clearer way would be to say if your truck has the older 27MHz transmitter, your range may be drastically shortened with some brushless systems. Almost all 2.4GHz radios don't seem to have this except some (expensive) Spektrum radios (don't know which models).

I experienced this issue myself:

• my Rustler with a new(er) 27MHz radio had no range problems when I upgraded to castle brushless (blue crystal). I still had >1200 ft range.
    • my very old (XL1 ESC) Stampede with 27MHz radio (red crystal) had its range drop to less than 200-300 ft

The best solution is upgrade to a 2.4GHz radio like the Traxxas TQi or a Flysky GTB2 when or before you go brushless.