RC Racer

So I have upgraded just about everything on my Stampede I need Brushless...

I upgraded the shocks,springs camber links, turnbuckles, steering blocks, caster blocks. Ok you get it basically everything that controls suspension and drivetrain is upgraded. I just ran the truck and its top speed was a mere 25mph. I don't want 60mph or higher I just want to hit 35-40. What brushless motor will work for me so that I do not have to bring it in to the LHS where he is asking $140 for the motor. I just want to replace the motor and speed controller if need be and go, is that even possible?

Just looking to see if there is a direct replacement brushless motor to drop in? Or if I also have to buy a speed controller
    Last edited by ironruger; 04-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.

RC Champion
    I think the XL5 is brushed only motor, so you will have to defintely change the ESC if going brsuhless.
    Myself I have practically been doing the same as you and may go for the Caster sidewinder SV3 (combo), about 110$ new. Unless I saw it wrongly on e-bay.

Have fun shopping arround
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.

RC Racer
    It is brushless ready

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ironruger View Post
    It is brushless ready
    I may have read the manual (came in the box) wrongly. I will check later tonight. But i beleive the drivetrain, differentials are the ones that are brushless ready.

RC Racer
    Not mine it is the xl-5 brushless ready model. Says on the box and the manual which I am looking at right now. The shop I bought it from was trying to get me to upgrade when I bought it last month but I wanted to see how it was before upgrading the motor

RC Champion
    so in that I case I will have to just buy the motor...it makes a lot of differece on the pocket..the one we got is also brushless ready, but I had read some where that the ESC is only for brushed motor. As soon as I find that article tonight , I will send it to you.
    The hobby shop told me too that I had to get a new ESC, if I wanted the brushless motor.

Thanks

RC Competitor
    "Brushless ready" just means the drivetrain is ready (steel gears in the tranny).

The XL5 ESC is NOT brushless capable.

RC Competitor
    The Traxxas trade in program is not a bad deal. I will be doing that route for a VXL system when the Titan12T show signs of letting go.

I have a 4X4 pede with a VXL system and dropped that into the XL5 last weekend. It was outrageous on 2S. It would back flip on command without the wheelie bar on it

There are a lot of upgrade options out there. The hobbywing SC8 and tenshock 3800 are very well recommended. I think for me though it comes down to supporting my LHS so they are around when I need that odd $2 part.

RC Champion
    Here is another thread regarding the XL5 , apparently the ESC is not brushless
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ess-conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Here is another thread regarding the XL5 , apparently the ESC is not brushless
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ess-conversion
    That is correct: the Titan 12T motor and the XL-5 ESC will both need to be changed out to run a brushless motor system. Also, if the XL-5 models still come with bushings in the axle carriers, they would really be upgraded to 5x11x4 mm bearings.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    That is correct: the Titan 12T motor and the XL-5 ESC will both need to be changed out to run a brushless motor system. Also, if the XL-5 models still come with bushings in the axle carriers, they would really be upgraded to 5x11x4 mm bearings.
    They are still coming with bushings for sure. That was the first upgrade I did along with an RPM front bumper!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
    They are still coming with bushings for sure. That was the first upgrade I did along with an RPM front bumper!
    Yes they come with bushings, i am still in the market of getting either the traxxas aluminum carriers and bearings and silver skid plates etc.
    But at the moment before I close my purchases, I wanted to make sure that the aluminum turnbuckles I ordered two week ago arrive (hopefully this week)

RC Qualifier
    I just traded in my titan and xl-5 for the velineon combo, right before traxxas raised the price.

RC Champion
    There is a few options, you can get a Castle SV3 with 3800kv motor or the VXL. You will not need to upgrade anything else. Since you upgraded your steering blocks and bearing carries I'm assuming you have changed out the bushings for bearings.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    There is a few options, you can get a Castle SV3 with 3800kv motor or the VXL. bearing carries I'm assuming you have changed out the bushings for bearings.
    yup, I am definitely breaking going the full halt....
    thanks for all the great feed backs
    Thanks ironruger for posting this.....it answered all my requirements too
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    There is a few options, you can get a Castle SV3 with 3800kv motor or the VXL. You will not need to upgrade anything else. Since you upgraded your steering blocks and bearing carries I'm assuming you have changed out the bushings for bearings.
    Yes I have bearings now aswell