Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will they fit

Quote Originally Posted by Fatskie View Post
    Thanks for all the photos!! Helped me out a lot and made up my mind, got 4 stock rims and 4 monster mudslingers on there way!!
    Nice I am still wanting a set just not yet lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Don't forget to order a pinion. From what I read the stock motor may overheat. Now I'm curious to see what I break next. Need to tighten up slipper with the extra weight. I'm finding my summit now is a totally different beast.

RC Champion
    Had a few people msg me and ask how hard it was to get them to fit. Very easy took me about a hour to trim the foams and mount and glue everything. I used a small screwdriver to make sure the bead was all the way down and hold the areas that popped up a little while gluing. Did one side of all 4 then went and did the other side. Just make sure u have a fine glue tip and med to thin tire glue and just take your time and work a small area at a time. My first glue job turned out great.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatskie View Post
    Thanks for all the photos!! Helped me out a lot and made up my mind, got 4 stock rims and 4 monster mudslingers on there way!!
    Did u ever get your tires?

RC Qualifier
    Crock Where did you order your slingers from? Do you know if they have any that are premounted. Did you look at any other rims that would fit The Summit? I was looking for a zero offset wheel to reduce the overall width, but didn't know if the tires would rub the truck. I would like to install these on my second Summit and compare them to the trencher 40 series tires I have on the other Summit. Also what is a star pattern on the foam? Thanks

RC Champion
    No they do not come pre mounted anyware. I ordered them from hobby alley. I looked at other rims but did not buy as I wanted to try on the stock rims first. I gave a measurement on outside to outside even on stock rims they are narrower. I would not want to try a 0 offset as I'm pretty sure they would rub

RC Competitor
    They where suppose to come in yesterday but the hobby shop didn't call.. Hoping Monday! What type of glue did you use?

RC Qualifier
    Crock What is a star pattern on the foam. I ordered a set of the Slingers, and I have some extra Geode wheels and tires so I'm going to give this a shot. Do you destroy the Canyons getting them off the wheel? any sugestions on how to get them off.

RC Champion
    Do a search for star cut foams that will give you a good idea of what i did. Its basically cutting the foams to like a star.. I just baked the tires at 350 for 15 min then gently pulled the tire off. I had to do some of them twice in the oven as the glue did not release the first time. They are still good to use again. Just make sure the wife is not home when you do this it stinks

This is the glue i used.. A thinner glue would probably work better but had no issues with the med.. Watch what you get i seen some glue at my local shop that was pretty thick.
    http://hobbyalley.com/store/product/...e-Glue%2C-Med/

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere to heat the tires but I had forgotten it. You saved me a set of tires. Ill look up the star pattern. Its my first time dealing with the RxR of tires and wheels. This should be an adventure. I have a set of thencher 40 series on the other mod truck so Ill do a side by side comparison and let you know what i find. Thanks again.

we should really call it "gear cut" the foams as it looks more like a gear when viewed from the side than a star lol
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Ya the pics I have up are with the 40 trencher as well.
    Gear cut ya that would be better hehe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Gear cut ya that would be better hehe
    found this online at another forum. So this would be a star cut or a gear cut on the foam. I was going to size the image and use as a template on the foam and then use a new razor knife to cut it out. Any better suggestions on tools to cut the foam?

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    I used a serrated bread knife..hehe. When i cut mine i did a angle cut from the point of the star to the bottom of each tip just to give a little more sidewall flexx.. The tires are really stiff and need some time to break in and loosen up. If i was mounting on bead locks i would have run with no foams but since their glued i figured better to run with foams then not since i could have to re glue them if i did not like it.

Now that i have my truck dialed in nothing seems to stop these tires. I barley ever have to lock up. If i do its usually because im high centered.. Even climbed up and over a log the other day like it was nothing iv never been able to climb that one since i got the truck

RC poster
    Anyone ever use something like this to cut the foam, or is the foam too soft for a hotwire?

RC Champion
    Only issue I could see with a Hotwire is it leaving a crust where u cut?

RC poster
    Good call... didn't think of that.
    I haven't mounted any tires yet. But thinking about some soon. My stock ones have pulled out a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Thinking of doing this.. Is everything relatively easy? Is there any other way to get the tyres off?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Oh and does it stink out the oven?

RC Champion
    makes your house smell like burnt rubber

RC Qualifier
    Mm that's a shame.. Okay thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Here are some more comparison pics of the Mudslingers on Axial Rockster narrow (discontinued) and Rcokster normal wheels.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    I like the look of the Rcokster normal wheels.

RC Enthusiast
    The narrows look a lot better and seem to have better sidehill grip, not to mention the Rockster normal metal ring on the inside of the wheel was cutting into the arms. The added weight of the metal ring gives the tires more bite than the lighter stock wheels.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakdoug View Post
    [/URL]
    Canyons look like the leaning tower of Pisa LoL
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Champion
    Definitely going to be cutting the small lugs down. After quite a few runs they work great untill you get into gravel or stuff where a wider bite from the tire would help. Still love these tires.

RC Qualifier
    Definitely going to be cutting the small lugs down. After quite a few runs they work great untill you get into gravel or stuff where a wider bite from the tire would help. Still love these tires.
    Can u send a picc of the tires after you cut the small lugs down? Ordered mine and a new set of Geode wheels to dechrome from my lhs. They came in on Friday I went to pick them up on Sat and the suckers sold them to someone else. They didnt label them as a special order and the manager said that he had 2 guys fighting over them. Needless to say the lhs is going to order more for stock. Good help is sure hard to find now days.

RC Champion
    yep sure will.. probably be a few days before i get to it... Hopfully your LHS is going to give you a better deal on the tires for their screw up..

RC Champion
    Got a few extra min today so decided to get them trimmed. Used a sharp pair of scissors to cut. Hard on the fingers. Definitely made the tires flex more

RC Champion
    Definite improvement. Especially side hilling they bite much better. I may get bored someday and sand down the cut lugs a bit more. Did not want to take them down to far cutting them incase the tire ballooned a bit and I cut a hole

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Can u send a picc of the tires after you cut the small lugs down? Ordered mine and a new set of Geode wheels to dechrome from my lhs. They came in on Friday I went to pick them up on Sat and the suckers sold them to someone else. They didnt label them as a special order and the manager said that he had 2 guys fighting over them. Needless to say the lhs is going to order more for stock. Good help is sure hard to find now days.
    I know exactly what you mean! Ordered mine April 18th as they still 3-4 weeks away.. :/

RC Champion
    Ouch. The shop I ordered from did not have them in stock and I think it only took two weeks for them to get them and ship out. They must be popular every time I check their online stock they are out. I know when I got mine they had ordered 8 sets.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the piccs that helps me understand what you are doing. I think I will try mine stock in my terrain and see how they do. Do they crawl on rocks any better?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Thanks for the piccs that helps me understand what you are doing. I think I will try mine stock in my terrain and see how they do. Do they crawl on rocks any better?
    From what I read they should. Don't have a lot of rock. Just a lot of bush areas and dirt. Even just messing around in the dirt I could see the traction diff. Foot to run em first before u cut.

RC Qualifier
    Got them. I ordered 4 Geode wheels got them too. Going to dechrome them using JIMMIE NUTRONS easy off with the yellow cap trick. Ill try to install this weekend. Funny thing the LHS brought in a extra set after the fiasco last weekend and the extra set had sold in less than 12 hours. Talked to the owner of the store and I think he will now stock these bad boys. CROCK did you have to put the outer wheel rings on or are they only for looks. I'll try and do some rock crawling and let you know how they did.

RC Champion
    I just used the outer ring for looks.

RC Qualifier
    I mounted the mudslingers and Geode wheels. Being the first time I have done this I thought I would post a few photos. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I decromed the wheels. I used a template to cut the gear pattern on the foam. I dont know whats in the foam but i used two razor blades to cut the foam. If the razor gets dull at all it will tear the foam. Putting the foam in, getting the tire over the wheel, and setting the bead were all straight forward, you just have to work it around. I used a cyanoacrylate glue that is black in color from my LHS. It was thin to medium and dries in 20-45 seconds. When i glued the first tire bead the glue dried faster than I thought and I had an area that didnt seat perfectly. So the next 3 tires I made sure to seat the bead where I had just glued before I moved to the next section of the tire. I would get a longer drying glue maybe a minute of two. Remember this was my first set so no flaming the novice.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    What not pics of them on your summit? and the test run..hehe Look good tire gluing is not as hard as some people think.

RC Qualifier
    What not pics of them on your summit? and the test run..hehe Look good tire gluing is not as hard as some people think.
    Action piccs coming later tonight. Stay tuned

RC Qualifier
    Do you have to star cut the foams or is that an optional thing for flex for crawling?