Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will they fit

RC Champion

Will they fit

Will the mudslinger tires fit on the stock summit rims?

No they will not. the mudslingers are 4.0 size (3.9 inch) the stock rims are traxxas 3.8 (3.8 inch).
    1) traxxas rims have a slight smaller inner diameter
    2) traxxas rims have a different mount "lip" than the mudslinger tires

You could cut/stretch and slice and probably make them fit but that is an $80 chance. Better to buy rims that actually fit the tires.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

If your looking for a nice tire that fits the stock Summit rims, get some Pro line Trencher X's. They fit perfect, and I love mine.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    According to their website the inside diameter of the mud slingers is 3.8 inch am i reading something wrong? All the rims they specify have a 3.9 outer diameter so im assuming the bottom of the beadlock is around the 3.8 mark or so?
    Specification:

Outer Diameter: 7.55" (192mm)
    Width: 3.5" (89mm)
    Inner Diameter: 3.8" (96.52mm)
    Tire thread depth: .31" (8mm)
    Each tire weight: 16 oz / 453 g

I don't care about having to modify the stock rims worst case i destroy one..

Already have the trenchers and rims coming but would really love a set of the mudslingers..

like I said you can make them fit but 40 series tires do not fit 3.8 series (traxxas) rims.

Traxxas rims also have a special lip/edge that only fit traxxas/3.8 tires

even RC4WD warns you on there web site

Note:

"his tire will only fit RC4WD wheel such as BL44, BL04N or other manufacturer 40 series specific narrow wheels (Such as Proline 40 Series Cheyenne Narrow Wheel Part # 2683-01).
    Mud Slingers is designed to run truck such as Traxxas Revo, T-Maxx, HPI Savage, Tamiya Clod Buster, TXT-1, Juggernaut. (You will need 40 series wheels in order to run Mud Slingers Tires)"

but like I said with some cutting and stretching anything is possible, but its not the stock rims you would have to modify, probably the $80 mudslingers.

also keep in mind that trenchers come in two style (not talking about "X" versus normal) but trenchers are sold "40 series" or "3.8 traxxas compatible". I hope you purchased the correct size.
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    The trenchers o ordered tire and rim combo so I'm good

I knew the traxas bead was different. Just not to sure what the diff is between a 3.8 rim and a 40? When I looked up the specs on the rims they recommended the only thing that really jumped out at me was the width of the rim was narrow

The 40 series are narrower than the 3.8. At least that's what I know.

NOW i WILL STUPIDLY CORRECT MYSELF

(I left my previous post up there as punishment)

40 series tires will fit on 3.8 series traxxas rims
    In the past I put 3.8 series tires on 40 series rims - it was doable but difficult (cutting and stretching) and looked " off " but doing the OPPOSITE, 40 series tires on traxxas 3.8 series rims was quite easy.

I just stuck some 40 series Big Joes on some stock summit rims - it only took 5 seconds and no cutting needed - and they look good

I STAND CORRECTED - I retain the write to be rong. Sorry for the misinformation

I think I'm gonna glue all four and sell these puppies as stock replacements on ebay
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Hehe cool. Now I'm not so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Hehe cool. Now I'm not so confused.
    I am glad my meal of humble pie could be of service.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Hehe. Well at least I know I'm not going crazy.

RC Champion
    Got the trenchers today. Got mixed thoughts on them. They seem like a pretty hard compound not much flex in them. I'm hope they will soften up? Some of the hill climes I used to do with ease took more effort and areas I had difficulty with on the stockers I climbed with ease. Also noticed the weight difference you can sure tell you have open diffs with these hehe

Probably give em to the gf when my other tires show up.

not many tires climb as well as the summit stock Canyon Ats. They are super soft for a reason.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    O well the mudslingers look like they flex pretty good those should be here next week

O well the mudslingers look like they flex pretty good

Hahahahaha you will see. Before you glue/ screw them on your rims try a slow dry run without the inner foams. The tires are not really soft, and every other lug needs to be shaved down to make them great crawler tires.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Ya planed on trimming the lugs. And was going to do some work on the foams. They seem to work well on the crawler forums

RC Champion
    Finally got the mudslingers. And yes they do fit on the stock traxxas rims. Had no issues doing a dry fit with no foams. Had a few spots were they were tight but have not cleaned the old glue out yet. Now I'm undecided about running without foams, with trimmed foams, or putting the stock traxxas foams in them. With no foams they seem to flex good but wondering how soft they will get after broken in and trimming lugs. The foams that came with them are fairly stiff compared to the stock traxxas foams that seem to be less than a 1/4 smaller and quite soft.

RC Champion
    Oh on a side note these things are just awesome pictures just do not do them justice

SO LET IT NOW BE KNOWN, 40 SERIES TIRES (MASHERS, ROCLOK, BIGJOES, MUDSLINGERS,MOABS, ORIGINAL TRENCHERS, DIRT HAWGS etc) WILL FIT ON THE STOCK SUMMIT RIM.

If I would have known this I could have saved a lot of money on all the 40 series rims I purchased
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

One thing I disliked about the stock rims is how soft they are mine were deformed eventually

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Finally got the mudslingers. And yes they do fit on the stock traxxas rims. Had no issues doing a dry fit with no foams. Had a few spots were they were tight but have not cleaned the old glue out yet. Now I'm undecided about running without foams, with trimmed foams, or putting the stock traxxas foams in them. With no foams they seem to flex good but wondering how soft they will get after broken in and trimming lugs. The foams that came with them are fairly stiff compared to the stock traxxas foams that seem to be less than a 1/4 smaller and quite soft.
    Looks awesome man!! I'm hyped that it worked!! I've been wanting those tires for so long!! Can you post a couple more photos, like a top view?

RC Racer
    It looks to me as though the bead is sticking out a little in those pics, they might work but I don't think it's a perfect fit.

RC Champion
    That's why I figured I would try mounting them first before I spent good money on rims.

I will post up more pic's when I get them permanently mounted. I rolled them off the rims on my dry run since they were not glued. Think I'm going to star cut the foams.

RC Qualifier
    Here they are sitting with no foams.

I've had mine for 2 years and they are very broke in. They flex great on the rocks but without the foams they are a bit bouncy and can be unstable when off camber.

I star cut the foams first and that worked pretty good. Then my foam rotted from water so i pulled it, now they do this!

RC Champion
    Nice thanks for the pics.

RC Champion
    When u go to glue these on make sure you have one of those super fine tips on your glue bottle. Their is not much room to pull the bead back and get glue in their. A light glue would also work well so it can flow down.
    Not bad for my first glue job did not make to much of a mess. Hehe glue the rest tomorrow

RC Competitor
    When u go to glue these on make sure you have one of those super fine tips on your glue bottle. Their is not much room to pull the bead back and get glue in their. A light glue would also work well so it can flow down.
    Not bad for my first glue job did not make to much of a mess. Hehe glue the rest tomorrow
    Ghhaaa I'm hyped it worked! I'm going to start ordering tomorrow!! I'm really hoping you can upload a top view photo! I really want to see how wide it makes it look!

RC Champion
    hehe... they are actually narrower than the stock tires or trencher 40s. Their is actually less rubber sticking out past the rims.. On the dry fit i loved the stance it gave the truck. Ill get you some shots tonight when i finnish up

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

RC Champion
    Pics as promised let me know if you want to see anything else

RC Champion
    Having issues getting the rest of the pics up

RC Champion

RC Champion

Pics are great. I'm interested in your assessment of their performance.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Still have a few more. All I can say is wow these tires are awesome! They will crawl through and over anything. Truck is much more stable with the extra weight of the tires. Had to use the lockers very little. Changed the pinion down to a 12t. Cut the foams in a star pattern and then took about 1/4 inch of the side of the points to give some sidewall flex. Did not trim lugs yet as they are working well so far. Will have to tighten up the slipper a bit. Gluing was pretty good took about 20 min with a very fine tip. The pictures outside do not give it justice on the angles and the terrain.

RC Champion

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Pics are great. I'm interested in your assessment of their performance.
    I would definitely recommend these tires. If I knew they performed this well I would have gotten them before the trenchers

RC Qualifier
    I have slingers as well. great post, thanks! what is the outside to outside edge measurement? want to know if ur narrower than my axial beadloks.

RC Champion
    They are 17 1/2 outside large lug

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the photos!! Helped me out a lot and made up my mind, got 4 stock rims and 4 monster mudslingers on there way!!