RC poster

2 batteries in series in a stampede vxl?

Can anyone tell me if and how I can modify my stampede vxl to run on 2 batteries in series? I purchased the connector but when i plug up oth batteried the light flases red and green. I already have a few of the regular (non lipo) batteries and wanted to see how fast I can go with them.
    Thanks in advance

2 batteries in series in a stampede vxl?

The VXL-3S speed controller has a 3-cell (3S) LiPo limit. Unless you are using two single cell (1S) LiPo packs or one single and a 2S, you cannot run Lipo packs in series.

The red and green flashing LED is the warning that the ESC is in overvolt protection.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-02-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Like KSB noted you don't want to run more than 3S on the VXL controller. What you will want to do is run a 3S and gear up. Just remember to keep your temps in check and only run for short bursts. Have you done any speed runs before??
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    To run them in series the max in nimh- 4-9cells 4.8-10.8 volts. Lipo- 2-3cells 7.4-11.1volts see the 1/8 scale combos
    otherwise your option is to go with very small batteries

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Like KSB noted you don't want to run more than 3S on the VXL controller. What you will want to do is run a 3S and gear up. Just remember to keep your temps in check and only run for short bursts. Have you done any speed runs before??
    I dont have any lipo batteries. just the regular batteries that came with it. The only speed runs I have done were on the rd in front of my house. Probably wide open for about 30 sec bursts.

RC poster
    Can I go with a different esc? please forgive me. This is my first real rc car

RC Qualifier
    You would need to go to a 1/8 scale system the castle creations momba monster 2 can take a minimum of 2cell lipos and a max of 6 cells remember a MINIMUM OF 2 CELLS so is there a conversion of lipos to nimh?? And can a 1/10 motor work with that or do you need a 1/8 motor too?? Can anyone give their input on this? (Castle has this system at $200 for only the ESC and $350 for the combo with a 2200 or a 2650 motor)

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_46 View Post
    Sure you can. There are hundreds out there. But the question asked previously about whether you have done speed runs before is valid. The stock system on a good 3S pack is more than enough to push a 2WD Stampede past what is safe or what can be kept on the ground without other major, costly alterations. Are you sure you want to go down that road?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Instead of dumping money in a new ESC & Motor i'd suggest picking up a 3S Lipo and good Lipo Charger. You would need those anyways if you upgraded to a higher end system. For the Lipo i'd look at a 3S from SPC and a good charger around $100 or so.

I think you will find running the VXL 3500 on 3S will probably get a bit of the speed running out of you. If you decide you want more after that than a Castle Creations MMP & 3800kv motor would be a good alternative to start with. Many other choices, that's one of the most popular. I have the same system geared 19/83 on 2S and I get between 35-40mph.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I've had a strictly street rusty for some time running on brushless and 3s power. I found my Dad a vxl pede and helped him do the RPM wide mod and ran it on 3s. Speed is similar but as expected the pede's handling even with the wide mod was spooky at speed. Not scary, but it did take a steady hand to pilot at full tilt speed. It's a different kind of fun for sure. If you want to pull some silly high speed block long wheelies, just plug in a 3s lipo. No need to double up or go to a 8th scale esc.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

RC poster
    I think Ill go that route. is there a 3s lipo that has a good run time and what entry level charger would you reccomend?

RC Champion
    SPC 3S 5400mAh 50c soft case. I have this pack and it is priced well and performs fantastic. They also have a 2S with the same specs in hard case and it performs very well also. My advice, please start with a 2S and get used to the power before jumping to 3S. At a minimum if you are insistent on getting the 3S you should put the truck in training mode until you get used to it. As stated above, the Pede vxl is rated at 65+ MPH, that doesn't mean shove a huge battery in it and away you go. It takes a very steady hand and a huge area to achieve that kind of speed. I will see if I can find the videos of my old Rustler vxl and ANZA Slash/Raptor vxl so you can see the 2S/3S difference. I was only able to get my Slash to half throttle due to lack of room. These things cover mass amounts of space in no time at all. Also consider the cost of broken parts due to inexperience with RC. Again, I am not trying to tell you what to do, just giving advice. We have all been here and done that. I would certainly do a search on 3S batteries in the forum to make a better decision. You will also need a lipo capable charger if you don't already have one. It should have an internal or external balancer to properly charger lipo. Other add ons would be a lipo charging sack and an IR temp gun. Good luck and I will post the videos as soon as I find them.

dc

Rustler vxl on 2S

ANZA Slash/Raptor on 3S half throttle max
    Last edited by dcsally97; 04-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    Dcsally97 that is a little had to see could you by chance do a side by side comparison?

RC Champion
    No side by side. I think the 3S is noticeably quicker.

RC poster
    I think I want a rustler now. It looks like it handles better than a stampede.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC Champion
    The Rustler in my video was highly modded just so you know. I used the Proline Protrac suspension kit, TRX BB's, Proline Performance transmission, REM F/R shock towers, and various other odds and ends.

RC Champion
    Here's an old video of mine on 3s with MM/5700 combo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomad View Post
    Here's an old video of mine on 3s with MM/5700 combo.
    Where's the Vidio??

RC Champion
    I can see it. It's even on your post too.

RC Qualifier
    I'm on a cell now ill try a laptop later to see if it works

RC poster
    Is the mm/5700 you referring to a type of battery. I'm leaning tawards using the traxxas lipo battery and charger.

RC Champion
    Is the mm/5700 you referring to a type of battery. I'm leaning tawards using the traxxas lipo battery and charger.

No, MM/5700 is the old Castle Creations Mamba Max ESC with a 2-pole 5700 kV motor. Now it is the Mamba Max Pro and the motors are 4-pole. Motor speeds on that would be 3800, 4600 or 5700 kV.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?