RC Qualifier

Having Trouble... Modify or Not

So I have just about ruined my first ever RC Truck. It is a Slash 2wd VXL with the Velineon System, and I have run it so much that I will practically have to replace every part if I want to rebuild it for racing. Here is my only problem though. Since it is the first truck I ever bought, I almost want to keep it stock and leave it be. If I don't though, I know I will get so much more fun out of it. So, I want to know what you guys think. Modify... or not? I was thinking about getting a 4x4 Ultimate and just selling of the parts that I would upgrade also. Would that be better than upgrading the Slash 2wd?
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 04-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Can we see this slash?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Here is just a simple list of things that would have to be replaced.
    Tires
    Body
    Differential Output Shafts
    Axles
    Bearings
    Steering Bell Crank
    Bumpers

There is also a lot of stripped screw holes and stripped screws from a year of hard driving.

Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Upgrade definitely. Slashes are great stock they're even better with upgrades.
    flm tranny case, rpm arms and shock towers, trx big bore shocks....all awesome upgrades.
    Keep the beat body though and just fix it with tape. That would look cool and you could keep the original
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Upgrading/refurbishing your slash back to running condition is not going to cost the same as what a slash 4X4 will cost new. It could, however, if you go all out and make it into a race truck. BUT... buying the 4X4 will give you a much better platform for a race truck than the 2X4 and really requires very little upgrading at all to be competitive. The LCG slash has been getting very good reviews on the track, especially in the beginner classes.

I think youd be better off buying a Platinum LCG 4X4 and slowly, over time, fixing up your 2X4 slash. Some of the parts from your 4X4 could be used on the 2X4 as well. (im thinking, wheels and tires for one).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    If you we're gonna re do it I would buy a Proline LCG chassis.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    I am saving for a 4 Door Jeep Rubicon for when I turn 18 or 19 also, so I don't want to spend too much. I think the Platinum or Ultimate 4x4 would be good for racing, then over time I could just upgrade my Slash here and there until it is back up and running. Could that work?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    There's no reason that you need to buy a 4x4, the 2wd is a great platform. I've had years of fun with my truck, so yeah, upgrade and get it running slowly.

Tires - Depends on your surface - Off-road? Trenchers. On-road? Street Fighters.
    Body - Looks fine, run it till the body posts bust through.
    Differential Output Shafts - Stock as far as I know..
    Axles - Slash 4x4 rear shafts, they hold up great.
    Bearings - Boca Bearings?
    Steering Bell Crank - 4x4 bell cranks are nice, aluminum bell cranks are nice too.
    Bumpers - RPM front - T-BoneRacing wheelie bar for the rear.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    The 4x4 has great traction on the track but the 2x4 is also pretty quick. My 2wd is really fast and I race ever week almost I upgraded the bumpers to rpm, axle carriers to aluminum, arms rpm, tires proline calibers for racing, streetfighters for street, big bore shocks, and rest rpm or stock it was worth every dime.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

I'f you want a 2wd truck for the track, you might as well buy a new one and start over and buy a lcg 4wd Slash to race. If you're going to bash with it, I'd replace the bearings or buy STRC aluminum bearing carriers (they come with new bearings) and start bashing again. It takes a lot of money to make the 2wd Slash a competitor on the track.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    That is true O.G. I spent 330 for the truck and 300 or more for upgrades but the 2x4 is great on the track with the right parts
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

I spent most if last summer tuning my Sl2sh for the track, including the STRC lcg kit and still didn't do very well. Part of the problem was the driver. I've seen the Sl4sh perform very well so I'm sure the lcg Sl4sh would also do very well.

RC Competitor
    I'm saving up for a 4x4 because my lhs has a deal on both races and it's 560 for the slash so I'm thinking about that or getting a LCG chassis for my 2wd, what should I do
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman20 View Post
    I'm saving up for a 4x4 because my lhs has a deal on both races and it's 560 for the slash so I'm thinking about that or getting a LCG chassis for my 2wd, what should I do
    A whole new truck or a cheap chassis? what? Those are completely different things..

RC Competitor
    Ok then a new truck that grips better or more aluminum upgrades
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

A lcg setup for your truck might be in order, but I'm not happy with the STRC as a racing platform.

It's a great basher but I never got the steering problems ironed out.
    Last edited by O.G.; 04-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

RC Champion
    I hope you don't mind if I ask "why" you want the rubicon model I had this same talk with my wife lol. All your doing us paying for a few stickers, a lift that's prolly not as high as you want it, the tires you prolly wouldn't have picked on your own and rims that are not exactly your favorite....or at least that's the way it was for me. No offense ment just trying to save you 5k for lift/wheel/tires you really want!

RC Competitor
    STRC isn't a good brand is it?
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Champion
    STRC isn't a good brand is it?
    From my experience STRC is a great brand. Their quality has been very good. I have never tried their LCG chassis for Slash but all the other STRC parts I have bought have been good quality. They're not like Integy parts, which are low quality.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

STRC is a great brand but I was unable to create a competitive track truck with it. That's what I mean.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    STRC is a great brand but I was unable to create a competitive track truck with it. That's what I mean.
    Ok. I couldn't weigh in on that at all, since I've never raced. For durability I've never had a problem with STRC parts.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    Ok cause I as very confused on what you meant thanks though
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Qualifier
    look at this one

http://www.firelandsgroup.com/product-p/anza5822.htm

Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Competitor
    How much lower does that make your car?
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Qualifier
    Just because it is the Rubicon Model so it is better with things that dont come stock on the others. I might just have to stay with the 4Cyl Toyota though for a while if I plan to get other things I would need before the Jeep. I might also just not race rc. I have a facebook page and all but I think that messing around is cheaper than making a full blown racing rc. Maybe a short course buggy that is cheap, but that might just be it. Right now being in High School with low income if any income, my Summit has taken most of my money.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    Just because it is the Rubicon Model so it is better with things that dont come stock on the others. I might just have to stay with the 4Cyl Toyota though for a while if I plan to get other things I would need before the Jeep. I might also just not race rc. I have a facebook page and all but I think that messing around is cheaper than making a full blown racing rc. Maybe a short course buggy that is cheap, but that might just be it. Right now being in High School with low income if any income, my Summit has taken most of my money.
    Sounds like you have a smart head on your shoulders, wish I did when I was in high school. I was spending every dime I had fixing up my truck for drag/street racing(lots of tickets and not very smart)

RC Competitor
    well that's your choice to make
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Qualifier
    That is also another reason I am gonna get a Jeep. I have a need for speed and you can't go fast in a Jeep, so that will most likely save me tickets up on the gravel roads. I have a Honda CRF 230F though so that usually takes care of my Need For Speed. Lol
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

What year are you looking at? I have a 1995 YJ.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I was thinking about a new Jeep when I am older, but i might end up not getting one until I have moved out, have a house, and can pay bills.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    So... I have decided against buying a 4x4 to Modify. It sounds like it would be much better than the 2wd, but I don't need another RC laying around right now. I think I am going to upgrade it piece by piece very slowly. Here the list of what I will be putting on it.

1. Pro-Line Flo-Tek Ford F150 Raptor SVT Clear Short Course Truck Body
    2. Pro-Line 1/10th Pro Pulls (12) and body clips (20)
    3. Pro-Line Slash 2wd Front Bumper and Bulkhead
    4. Pro-Line PRO-2 LCG Performance Chassis for Slash 2wd
    5. Pro-Line Slash ProTrac Suspension Kit
    6. Pro-Line Slash 4x4 Powerstroke Front Shock Set (2)
    7. Pro-Line Slash 4x4 Powerstroke Rear Shock Set (2)
    8. Pro-Line Slash 2wd Pro-2 ProTrac CV Rear Axle Kit
    9. Pro-Line Renegade SC 2.2/3.0 Bead-Loc Rim (Set of Two Wheels)
    10. Pro-Line Renegade SC 2.2/3.0 Bead-Loc Rim (Set of Two Wheels)
    11. Pro-Line Blockade SC 2.2"/3.0 M4 Super Soft Tires (2)
    12. Pro-Line Blockade SC 2.2"/3.0 M4 Super Soft Tires (2)
    13. Savox Servo-Coreless Digital High Speed, 167oz/in, .08 sec.
    14. Racer's Edge Servo Horn-Single Arm Futaba, Black Aluminum
    15. Pro-Line Slash Performance Steering Kit
    16. TRX Aluminum Caster Blocks

I will just buy a part every now and then, and then I should have the whole thing rebuild before I know it. It will also be powered by a SPC Li-Po, Hard Case Battery Pack; 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V.
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 04-07-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Have fun throwing all that money at it... you could have something just as nice for a lot less... I thought you were saving for a real truck?

RC Qualifier
    I am. You see, I am going to put something like 80% of the money I make a year into savings, and then I can use the other 20% for things like RC. Those numbers might change, but it is what I set for now. I will also hopefully make money off of my YouTube Videos so I can save and use that money too.
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 04-08-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit