Recommended smartphone or tablet for college :-)

Hi. Ill start off and say I'm selling everything I have so I can pay my bills off and start college. So with 2012 almost here I feel using books for school to be...old fashion. I have a amazing phone, Samsung infuse 4g on Att. Now I know a laptop or Ibook is probably better suited for reading books, presentations or printing. But I find those devices to be limited and bulky. So that leads me to believe that most smartphones and tablets have come a long way. My question is. Can I use a smartphone or tablet for what I'm going to do in college. What are my limitations? What is better, a smartphone or tablet? Android or apple? Honesty I do not like apple products and after reading the lawsuit they have against my beloved Samsung I really don't want to even own a apple product. But they do have the support by other manufactures or apps that android do not. Anyways I know they have printers that support Bluetooth and was wondering if a smartphone or tablet can use that feature to print. Unless that for apple only. Download my books and use those instead and hopefully presentations but I have a computer for that. Also I want this to be a all in one does everything in one device. I was hope my Samsung infuse can do that but I'm feeling it can't. So I'm looking at the Samsung gs2 skyrocket with the ics 4.0 software update, Galaxy 8.9 tablet 4g lte with the ics 4.0 software, Ipad2 with 3g. But what I been eyeing is if it does hit the states the Samsung Galaxy note 4g lte with the ics 4.0 software. And another question.... if any device is used for school can it be used as a tax deduction? I hope anyone can honesty answer my question and give recommendations or if I just crazy to think this is possible.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

So you think using books is old fashioned.... The smart phone is going to be an investment for school??

ONe thing you won't get with E-books, that you can from a good used books is the notes written into the books and sections that are highlighted from previous users.... Heck I always went for used books, IMHO the info in a good used book is well worth it to me....

just my 0.02 anyways.... IMHO, Tablets are cool, but for school, pretty sure a decent laptop is going to do more for you. That's currently, anyways. Good luck with college....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Very valid point about the used books. But I know some courses will not grade you if you do have a used book. But a laptop :-( those are so 2009

RC Champion
    Using books is not old fashioned, books are good for a variety of reasons.
    And I agree with Nitronaught on this one, a tablet is kinda like the latest fab out there right now. A laptop would be better.
    I'm typing this using a Mac Book Pro 18in. It's a great cpu, fast, powerful, and has, I think plenty of memory.
    I wouldn't go with a tablet just yet, check out the Mac Book Pro 15in, it's hardly any bigger than the iPad.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    But a laptop :-( those are so 2009
    Man, the point of collage is to learn and prepare for life. Sure having the latest stuff is great, but that's not what it's all about.
    And I think of it this way, all these new tablet cpus are going to be 'so 2011-2012' in a few years anyway.
    The Mac Book Pro is an awesome laptop, it has the back lit key board, aluminum unibody, and really great graphics.

I would really go with one of those, even if you have a grudge against apple. Learning is what's important.
    I think laptops are cool, and I'm not old enough to be your dad

Some basic text book can't be found on e-book style. you must and i say you must use text printed books for your education.
    if you want to succeed in your study and win at the end keep reading and using books ... ask me.

RC Champion
    Carrying books around the campus has other benefits too, you build upper body strength and tone those biceps

RC Champion
    Double post deleted - Chevy

I was joking about the laptop. LOL. But the main reason for not using books is BC of my back problems. Is there a way to transfer from a boo to a laptop or Mac? I figured that a tablet or smartphone has replaced the laptop and book. Why I asked :-)

RC Racer
    Not all books will have digital copies as there are alot of different books required. You could have 2 teachers teaching the same class but each could require a different edition of the book. IMO Until Tablets run full OS's that are fully compatiable with the major software apps they will never replace a laptop/desktop. Another thing to take into consideration.. you generally will have 2-3 classes per day and enough time if you schedule them that you can just carry one set of books instead for each class instead of multiples but that just depends on scheduling and such.
    Last edited by Wansfall; 12-12-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: i suck at spelling

Very valid points. So the best bet is to keep my infuse get a laptop and just old fashion studying.

RC Qualifier
    Very valid point about the used books. But I know some courses will not grade you if you do have a used book. But a laptop :-( those are so 2009
    I don't know where you heard that, but it can not be true about the used books. You could not even own the book (not recommended). Many classes me and a friend bought one book and both used it. This was my roommate though, so I always had access to it if I needed. One major thing, as others have said, many (most) books are NOT available in e-book format, so nothing you can do there besides scanning each page, which would require you getting the book anyway

RC Champion
    Very valid points. So the best bet is to keep my infuse get a laptop and just old fashion studying.
    In my opinion, yes. I'm sorry to hear about your back, get some really good shoes and a good book bag to help reduce the strain. It's easy to just to get a big binder and put everything you will need for that day in it, so you won't have to carry around so many pounds.
    But getting a new smart phone can't hurt, you can get all sorts of apps that will help you with your studies.
    Some of the newer phones have really good scheduling applications that can help you be more organized.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I see alot of value in a light weight tablet and with some small accessories it can ALMOST replace a laptop. I have a Logitech bluetooth keyboard for my iPad2 and honestly, for what I do, I don't need to take my laptop with me anymore. I downloaded docstogo for iPad (which is a full microsoft office compatible program for power point, excel and word) and I can do everything I need to right from the tablet.

On the other hand, I agree full with what the others are saying about books. There are things you can do with a book you simply can not do with a tablet. Like flip back and forth through chapters easily and quickly, photocopy a page or write in the margins... just alot of little things I found useful when I was in college.

On top of ALL that... I have to say, when I went to college I was fortunate enough to be able to afford all the books that were on the "required" list for my courses. I used less than %50 of them even once. Sometimes its helpful to go to the class and get a feel for how "necessary" the books really are and only buy the ones you really need. Back in my day you couldn't simply google a word for its definition so I had to buy a $100 dictionary and thesaurus. Other books are more for reference and you can easily get the info you'd get from the book online. BUT... other books are used extensively for study and teaching day by day and those books you won't be able to live without.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I agree with Pave, having a good tablet is definitely a good thing. But they can't replace books yet.
    I would go ahead and get a tablet along with the books, you can make charts and stuff easy.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Sometimes its helpful to go to the class and get a feel for how "necessary" the books really are and only buy the ones you really need.
    That is a good strategy but you will be forced to buy the book on campus or locally if you really do end up needing it. And for those who don't know those are usually the most expensive places to buy text books.

Some of my texts were over $300 in my book store and they buy them back @ 30 cents on the dollar.
    The same book I was able to pick up on half.com for $75 and I could sell it back to the book store.

Also when you buy books online its common to find international editions (same book different cover) and instructors editions at a fraction of what the book store but you cant sell those back.

AdriaHunter
    Hi. Ill start off and say I'm selling everything I have so I can pay my bills off and start college. So with 2012 almost here I feel using books for school to be...old fashion. I have a amazing phone, Samsung infuse 4g on Att. Now I know a laptop or Ibook is probably better suited for reading books, presentations or printing. But I find those devices to be limited and bulky. So that leads me to believe that most smartphones and tablets have come a long way. My question is. Can I use a smartphone or tablet for what I'm going to do in college. What are my limitations? What is better, a smartphone or tablet? Android or apple? Honesty I do not like apple products and after reading the lawsuit they have against my beloved Samsung I really don't want to even own a apple product. But they do have the support by other manufactures or apps that android do not. Anyways I know they have printers that support Bluetooth and was wondering if a smartphone or tablet can use that feature to print. Unless that for apple only. Download my books and use those instead and hopefully presentations but I have a computer for that. Also I want this to be a all in one does everything in one device. I was hope my Samsung infuse can do that but I'm feeling it can't. So I'm looking at the Samsung gs2 skyrocket with the ics 4.0 software update, Galaxy 8.9 tablet 4g lte with the ics 4.0 software, Ipad2 with 3g. But what I been eyeing is if it does hit the states the Samsung Galaxy note 4g lte with the ics 4.0 software. And another question.... if any device is used for school can it be used as a tax deduction? I hope anyone can honesty answer my question and give recommendations or if I just crazy to think this is possible.
    Hello guys perfect thread I am searching for. I am looking for new tablet so guys what options you will serve me under budget of $500. Waiting for reply

For College, lets look at the Pros and Con's of a Laptop and a Touchpad.

1. Being able to print. Hard for a Touchpad and very limited as to what printers it will work with, Apple Or Android. No Problem for a Laptop.

2. Storage. You can store way many things on your laptop than you can with ANY Touchpad or Smartphone.

3. Network connectivity, limited to wireless in many cases with a Touchpad or Smartphone, laptop can go wired which will always be faster.

4. Typing,,,, Ever try typing on a Touchpad,,,, not as easy as a keyboard that's for certain.

5. Eye strain,,, yup Eye strain... You are going to be using your device an aweful lot. Lots of reading, taking studies online, writing, spell checking etc... My Laptop has a 17" screen I7 processor a gig DDR3 Video ram and weighs just over 6 lbs.

6. Battery life... My battery goes bad, I can replace it myself. Do that with ANY touchpad it has to go back to the Mfr... Also I get up to 9 hours on a charge with my laptop. LEt's see if you can get 1/2 that with ANY Touchpad....

7. Word Processing, you have some of the most powerful word processing suites available to you with a laptop, fat chance with most Touchpads and Smartphones...

8. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, put a cable on the laptop and you can use it with a full keyboard and mouse and use your T.V. as well. Most play Blue Ray and DVD discs these days as well.

Just a few points....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 04-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    To be honest you wont get a very good tablet under $500 your only REAL options are the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 and those are media devices and won't help you at all in school. If you can get enough money go buy a Mac book Pro they are really awesome and they are more portable than ever.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    I get 10 hours of use with my iPad. Typing on it is fine as well.
    I'm actually posting this from my iPad at a friends house in their kitchen.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    What I have to say: you will be more limited with a tablet than a computer for the simple fact that tablets don't support USB input...a tablet can also be set up like a computer because you can even get a keyboard case (for ipad) that makes it more like a computer...another aspect is that if something goes wrong with your device then your out cold. I'd say use either classic textbooks or go for a quality laptop but I can see why you would rather spend hundreds of dollars on something cool like a tablet, vs spending it on books
    [also right now this is from ipad and I really like it]
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Gotta exercise your wetware(brain)! Get one of those old fashion paper "tablets". Oh, who remembers PENCIL SHARPENERS!!!!!

LOL

AdriaHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriaHunter View Post
    Hello guys perfect thread I am searching for. I am looking for new tablet pc so guys what options you will serve me under budget of $500. Waiting for reply
    Thanks for sharing your views. Yes I have plenty of money so getting a good tablet will not be a problem.