RC Enthusiast

Angry Esc up in smoke!!

Had my pede out with my oldest 2 kids they had their diggers we were in a parking lot beside the skatepark its still full of
    snow. Everything was going good then my pede stopped! my battery is a 2s 5400 mah motor & esc were warm not hot
    the temp outside was +7 celsius. my light on my esc was flashing red I did have low voltage protection on
    I put my stock battery in wouldn't move forward would move in reverse barely about a foot then the esc started to sizzle
    and smokeI did a complete tear down took front & rear diffs out stipped chassis now i can dye it the esc sinks obviously done the motor is very tight so is my motor done? I'm seriously thinking of upgrading not sure what to get castle or
    tenshock and what does the numbers infront of kv mean? the lower the number the bigger the motor? I don't race I just
    bash and have fun what are some good combo's I obviously want more power & speed I have mips all around, robinson
    slipper clutch, big bore shocks ,rpm a arms, treanchers on desperados, alm bearing carriers,
    caster blocks&steering knuckles any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by gjgriff; 04-01-2013 at 07:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgriff View Post
    Had my pede out with my oldest 2 kids they had their diggers we were in a parking lot beside the skatepark its still full of
    snow. Everything was going good then my pede stopped! my battery is a 2s 5400 mah motor & esc were warm not hot
    the temp outside was +7 celsius. my light on my esc was flashing red I did have low voltage protection on
    I put my stock battery in wouldn't move forward would move in reverse barely about a foot then the esc started to sizzle
    and smokeI did a complete tear down took front & rear diffs out stipped chassis now i can dye it the esc sinks obviously done the motor is very tight so is my motor done? I'm seriously thinking of upgrading not sure what to get castle or
    tenshock and what does the numbers infront of kv mean? the lower the number the bigger the motor? I don't race I just
    bash and have fun what are some good combo's I obviously want more power & speed I have mips all around, robinson
    slipper clutch, big bore shocks ,rpm a arms, treanchers on desperados, alm bearing carriers,
    caster blocks&steering knuckles any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    i would get this http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...IPPING%29.html

RC Qualifier
    +1 get the sc8 esc no matter what moter you get. Tenshocks are just as good if not better than castle

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks Crazyman94 & blazer
    I'm not sure on the sizes of the motors i haves a 3s 5000 mah not used yet! still trying to figure out what the number mean

RC Qualifier
    It has to do with the rpms per volt. The higher the number the faster but the lower the number the more power. But batteries can over come that. It's pretty simple but complex. Lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgriff View Post
    Ok thanks Crazyman94 & blazer
    I'm not sure on the sizes of the motors i haves a 3s 5000 mah not used yet! still trying to figure out what the number mean
    Alot of people say they run 3s on 3800kv and it runs cool

RC Champion
    Dont just say 3s, thats a broad range. It depends a lot upon the battery specs...
    Everything overpowered...

RC Enthusiast
    Oh ya your right! I'm still pretty new to this. 3s 11.1 v 5000mah 25c traxxas battery

Go for the v2 3400kv more torque and less heat job done.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    +1 get the sc8 esc no matter what moter you get. Tenshocks are just as good if not better than castle
    Even if that were true, I have my doubts whether the customer support and technical assistance available from Castle can be met by Tenshock or Hobbywing. Someday maybe you'll tell why you seem to be so rabidly anti-CC. Having a favorite product or brand is one thing, but surely "Hobbywing/Tenshock" isn't the answer to every motor system question.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Thats true dude i would never say my setup was better that castle but its what i could afford with all my kids lol.....peace....ps it is one sweet setup though

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Even if that were true, I have my doubts whether the customer support and technical assistance available from Castle can be met by Tenshock or Hobbywing. Someday maybe you'll tell why you seem to be so rabidly anti-CC. Having a favorite product or brand is one thing, but surely "Hobbywing/Tenshock" isn't the answer to every motor system question.
    Your funny. Check out the revo thread... I jus got a cc 1515. Im not hating... Im just saying these new 6-8pole motors they are making are powerful... Does cc have better support...without a doubt...but i havent heard of many tenshocks failing... jus sayin... Why not support the cheaper brands so they get more known and Bigger. It may not be the answer to every motor. If you read the OP though youll see that he said he doesnt race...Just bash's and wants more power. So why spend big bucks on a castle system. Im able to speak my opinion. Ive already said in other threads why i dont like castles esc.. Ive had many issues and none of which were user error. I feel if im going to have issues i might as well get the cheaper choice.

Not trying to sound rude..sorry if i did. Just trying to point the guy in the direction of a powerful good brand brushless motor.
    Peace

RC Racer
    hobbywing/tenshock all the way! oh wait i have a mmp/tenshock guess i'm stuck in between. Perhaps best of both worlds...hmmm?? castle would have been my preference if I were new to the hobby. no doubt their technical assistance is top notch because you do pay for it.
    For maybe novice to advanced users something like a tenshock / hw combo would suit them better, especially if they are on a budget....IMO
    Last edited by noobiznessracin; 04-02-2013 at 11:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    First of all thank you to all of you for your input. I've been looking at threads on this forum and others I have come to a conclusion yes I just bash
    and have fun also I am on a budget(4kids 2 are just getting into rc's) but I want the best bang for my buck!
    CC is out of my price range even though I've read lots of good things about them.Tenshock/hobbywing are just as good from what I've read but $100
    cheaper so do I get what I can afford and start having fun ripping it up or leave my pede on the operating table for a month or more? its a no brainer
    heart transplant stat!

RC Qualifier
    even more bang for your buck is a tacon 3674... its $36.. Thats actually what im always talking about. I dont even own a tenshock but my boy spenniepoos has one and talks highly of them.

Thanks blazer i would have gone with tacon when my vxl motor died but it all went at once so i had to replace the esc and motor did my homework and was on a budget and thats when i found out about the tenshock and hobbywing combo and it was about 85.00 pound cheaper that the castle 2400kv i wanted so i got my combo and some sweet battery packs as well.And yes i have turned into a tenshock and hobbywing fan boy because i have had it not far off a year now and still cant believe how much power it can kick out and how cool it runs for the priceNuff said.........peace out