RC Racer

Replacing Stock Driveshafts

Hey guys. I have been slowly experimenting with lipo power over the last year or so and have just recently gone from 2s to 3s. I have been snapping the stock plastic driveshafts nearly every other run (slipper is correctly adjusted). What are my options for upgrading? I'm not sure that I want to spend $120 on the MIP set. Has anyone used the Integy XHD set? Any other recomendations are greatly welcomed.
    Thanks
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat

RC Qualifier
    DONT BUY INTEGY ANYTHING!!!

Ive heard someone on this forum snapped them first pull.

Get mips or teknos.

RC Racer
    Tekno's! I am getting a set today $32 isn't bad! Heard lots of good reviews. I will have to torture test mine.

RC Enthusiast
    im running the MIP extra HD set front and rear but i i got a good deal on them used and in great shape. when i was looking at buying them new i was going to run the hd on the rear and then just the standard MIP on the front ... i dont think you will ever break the fronts .... for me it was the left rear that kept breaking .... good luck

RC Racer
    MIP (my personal choice) or Tekno. Do it right the first time = no regrets. Just my humble opinion.
    Someone stole my signature.

RC Racer
    Yeah, I was never a big fan of Integy products, but the price was so appealing. May look into the tekno. Really just was looking for a cost effective option. Thanks for the quick responses though. It turns into another "you get what you pay for" deal.

RC Qualifier
    Tekno. All parts are captured, meaning once they are installed, there is nothing to worry about or maintain. You will want to add the aluminum tekno hexes to your order because the tekno plastic hexes are not good. Then you will have to start worrying about stripping the hex in your wheels. 3S is a slippery slope.

Mips or teknos or traxxas steel cvds all the way dude ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

I have MIPs on the rear end and FLM on the front end. I must say that the FLMs hold up very well and the MIPs have some play at the moment. When you have alu axle carriers on the rear, the MIPs rub when the A-arms are at the lowest position.
    No personal experience with Tekno, but I only hear good things about those.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    If i had to do it again...id probably buy teknos over the mips...
    Dont get me wrong the mips are tough. but i had an issue with the pin coming out. It only happened once i a saw i b4 i lost it. But for that price you shouldnt have to worry about anything happening....but you do

I built mine right over 2 years ago and had no problems and left them set for over 24 hours.....peace dude

RC Competitor
    I like the MIPs but I haven't had experience with anything else.

If you go with MIP use these shafts instead of the grub screws, with some blue loctite.
    HPI Screw Shaft M4x2x12mm
    p4de mmp2400 - stock p4de - wraith

They are the ones i use but blue is not strong enough for me thats why i use red and to remove use some heat job done.....peace out

RC Racer
    @ slaughter33
    I was under the impression that aluminum hexes increase the chance of cracking the part of the wheel where the hex goes? I'm running pro line desperado wheels because I melted 2 of the traxxas wheels to the hexes after the wheel female hex cracked and allowed the hex on the axel to spin in the wheel, fusing them together.

RC Racer
    Had my tekno front and rears for 2 months now with zero issues. Running on 2s and 3s.

RC Competitor
    Just put the rear MIP x-duty shaft on mine, will wait to put the front on till i snape one of those. I picked up front and rear set for $98 shipped. Compared to lhs or some other places, I thought that was a good deal for MIP.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
    Tekno's! I am getting a set today $32 isn't bad! Heard lots of good reviews. I will have to torture test mine.
    Got a link? Item numbers etc? curious where your finding these for 32, ill take em!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    Got a link? Item numbers etc? curious where your finding these for 32, ill take em!
    Plus shipping of course but these were just one item of my large order I just did.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350747674459#ht_3567wt_888
    These are for the fronts which are the only ones of issue on my Stampede. Not sure if the rears are more.
    Last edited by makuloco2000; 04-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Trick, aluminum doesn't give so the wheel will strip more easily. The only other solution is to do what I did and carefully drill out a plastic traxxas hex to 6mm and glue it in the wheel. You could go with 17mm hubs and wheels but selection is very limited. 3s is too much power for 12mm hexes.

Or just epoxy the aluminium hex in to the wheels and let it set for 12hours and when finished with wheel they cant be popped out with a screwdriver and be used over and over again instead of buying plastic ones every time.....peace

RC Qualifier
    Spenniepoos, I've been meaning to ask you about the epoxy. Does it come off the aluminum real easy? I didn't use my aluminum hexes because I didn't want to get stuck scraping off adhesive to reuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Spenniepoos, I've been meaning to ask you about the epoxy. Does it come off the aluminum real easy? I didn't use my aluminum hexes because I didn't want to get stuck scraping off adhesive to reuse them.
    Hi man most of the expoxy does stay in the wheel hex i then just give it a blast with a stiff brush on my dremel and its like new and can do all four in a minute or two and they have paid for themselves already.The epoxy i use and has been the best is loctite powerflex gel its a rubber infused so its strong and shock proof which helps when the power and torque kicks in.....peace