RC Competitor

XL5 to Protrac, what traxxas parts are needed?

I'd like to put the Protrac kit on my sons XL5. In reading Loots thread from last year about the kit (thanks loot!), some posts elude to needing different hardware for the camber link screws and such since you are going from plastic to turnbuckles with rod ends.

I'm not 100% sure all of what is needed. Can someone who did this mod recently let me know if I got the right list of parts?

Part# 5525 turnbuckle rod ends (do these come with the cups inside?)10 total needed for steering links and camber links.

Part# 3646 camber screws for monting ball ends to front shock tower(2 needed)
    Part # 2580 camber screws and Part #2745 nylon nuts for mounting ball ends to front carrier (2 needed)
    Part# 2579 camber screws for mounting rear camber rod ends to rear shock tower and carrier (4 needed)

If the 5525 rod ends don't scome with the cups inside, what size(s) are needed?

Does this sound correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Rob
    P2DE Driver.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply Rob. That is the thread I referenced earlier. The area I was unsure of is the mounting screws for the turnbuckles. I THINK I'm on the right trck. Once I get the kit though I'll know for sure. Just trying to save a trip to the LHS

RC Champion
    I was following the thread and was seriosuly contempalting on the Protrac Kit.
    After calculating for a while the expeses already done on upgrading the pede, I thought to myself , why not this; seeing that the price is reasonable.....and the reveiws are not bad..
    Just wondering though ....what are the difference between the protac kit to aliminium upgrades, or its just a matter of showbiz- (alu.....)
    I slowly started to change to alimium parts , thinkig that I will get more stability and sturdiness...but not to sure after I saw a couple of reveiws that even with aliminium or steel parts, there will be bends etc, thus we will still have to change parts here and there once in a while , maybe not as much with the composite carbon fibre galss bodies....
    Anyway jjust wondering, as now the hobby has become a full time and nice investement...
    'It has to pass through the minister of finance -WIFE...eheheh'
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.

RC Competitor
    That "minisiter" can be a tough one to negotiate with too!

The protrac kit adds overall width at the arms to make it less prone to tip overs. It also changes the geometery of the shocks for better performance there. I'm really only looking at this becuase my 7 year old is the driver and teaching him to slow down a bit in the turns just hasn't sunk in yet!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
    That "minisiter" can be a tough one to negotiate with too!
    I'm really only looking at this becuase my 7 year old is the driver and teaching him to slow down a bit in the turns just hasn't sunk in yet!
    yup I am in the same boat, I got it for my 10 yr old , but the high jumps etc. is very exciting for him, the actual notion of everything else has not been mastered yet.
    He ran the car on a almost 90 degrees wall of snow (told him bat mobile exists only on film), thats why we got the aluminium caster blocks. How ever in the past two weeks, lots of improvement, still need to take precautions.

I am trying to get the 'minister' to get in the hobby....good luck to me eheheh (operative word..Trying)
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.

RC Racer
    I bought the kit of screws to replace all the phillips headed ones to make them all hex So I used what was in that kit to mount the turnbuckles and such. I think I purchased mine from amainhobbies.com. They are the RC Screwz kit. I didnt read your whole post about where you mentioned the post by "L00t" sorry.
    Rob
    P2DE Driver.

RC Champion
    If you have an XL5 pede and want to hook it up...

Get the 2wd Slash ProTrac kit.
    Get this 'Jato Rod Ends' pack - TRA5525

Get two packs of these screws - TRA2579 6 piece 3x15 button head screws...maybe even get a couple extra packs. These are a real 'go to' when you need a miscellaneous screw on the truck.

Don't forget that with the ProTrac kit, you will need to address the wheels and tires situation. At a minimum you will need 2 additional front wheels. (this leaves you with having to remove the rear tires from your current stock of rear wheels gluing them to the new front wheels.)
    2 additional front wheels and tires (watch out for the minister)
    or 4 fresh new front wheels and tires (run 4 yo life!, lol, jk fellas)

No really tho, $60 bucks give or take for a fresh set of wheels in tires every few months depending on how regularly you use the truck might land you in the dog house

Have fun with it guys. The protrac will make the truck a bit more stable, but if the kids are trying to kill the thing everytime out - I know I do - you will want to go to buy a RPM Slash 2wd front skid plate and get it installed on the stampede ASAP. You will need to drill a 3 holes in the stock chassis (remember what I said about TRA2579) to make it work, but it will strengthen up the chassis a lot, especially around the front servo area when it gets thin and notchy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    If you have an XL5 pede and want to hook it up...

No really tho, $60 bucks give or take for a fresh set of wheels in tires every few months depending on how regularly you use the truck might land you in the dog house

Have fun with it guys. The protrac will make the truck a bit more stable, but if the kids are trying to kill the thing everytime out - I know I do - you will want to go to buy a RPM Slash 2wd front skid plate and get it installed on the stampede ASAP. You will need to drill a 3 holes in the stock chassis (remember what I said about TRA2579) to make it work, but it will strengthen up the chassis a lot, especially around the front servo area when it gets thin and notchy.
    Thanks, great jks too....
    I think I may have to get another stampede just have more fun before investing on a revo.....this way the whole family will have a car each and building for the future...

RC Champion
    oops...for what ever reason I cannot delete this number 10 post
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Having another Pede is never a bad idea & having more than one truck that can share parts makes perfect sense to me. What's really nice is when a truck starts getting modded, the left overs can go on a 'spare parts' build.

And ebay chop shops are great in their own way. I pointed you to the TRA2579 screw bag. 6 screws for a couple bucks. I recently converted my pede to a rustler just for kicks one day. I found a chop shop on ebay where the guy disassembled a VXL Rustler and put all of the screws in a bag. I bought the bag for like $7 bucks. Later

RC Competitor
    Great and helpful info Oaks, thanks for helping out.

The 5525 rod ends are what I was looking at. As for the wheels, that's not much of a dilema. I have 2 kids both with XL5's. One wants the protrac kit and one wants a set of trenchers.

Sadly, that leaves me no extra parts for my VXL4X4 Taking care of 3 pedes is as fun as it gets

RC Champion
    No sweat, guys. Keep in mind, the wheels on the 4x4 have the 'front' offset all the way around and would work well and look good on an XL5. Then maybe get a tire upgrade for the 4x4? Also, before the protrac kit was even released, i installed TRAXXAS big bore shocks on my XL5 and those progressive springs did a great job of soaking up some bumps and kept the little truck from tipping over, also.