Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the deal?

RC Racer

whats the deal?

whats the deal with gearing ? so many people run diff ones and these people are usuly the ones that melt things trying to do something diff then the motor/esc are ment for i have had an sct 3800 for year about 200 cycles threw it both 2s 3s never one shut down melted or ripped a gear

RC Champion
    Generally speaking, stock gearing is adequate unless you do something that necessitates a gearing change to keep your motor cool. Lower gearing was necessary for me, for example, when I changed to Trenchers.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    im a master tech in the auto ind. and have built many race trucks/cars and when we go from one track to another we change motors and gears if you have to play with gears to much you have the wrong motor

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by superslasher View Post
    im a master tech in the auto ind. and have built many race trucks/cars and when we go from one track to another we change motors and gears if you have to play with gears to much you have the wrong motor
    Interesting point!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    we run our slashes on 3 diff. track types and most of us use 3 diff. motor/gear set ups. up front it costs more but when you break or burn stuff its more and downtime

Just wondering super slasher

What's your current gearing?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    20/90 verry verry reliable with sc badlands and stock tires

20/90 verry verry reliable with sc badlands and stock tires
    Temps?????

With the very wide power band and high torque and rpm of these brushless electric motors, you can play with gearing a lot more than a full size fuel powered low rpm small powerband engine. If you can adjust the gearing to keep the motor/esc within safe temps, you dont have the wrong motor. Granted there are situations where you would have the wrong motor... Like putting your 3800 in an e-maxx...

Most people burn stuff by either trying to push something to its limits, or making a mistake (such as too tight gear mesh, not checking temps when gearing up, or not paying attention to the manufacturers specs).

What is the point of this thread?>

By the way, you are geared really low for that motor. Gearing too low can cause a motor to run at higher rpm all the time and can make it overheat. Hope you are checking those motor temps 8)

By comparison, my 4 pole 4600 castle runs at 120 with 23/87. Yours should run about room temps or slightly above with my gearing. If you are over 110, you are undergeared, and not using the motors power, but suffocating it.
    Last edited by rag6; 04-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    With the very wide power band and high torque and rpm of these brushless electric motors, you can play with gearing a lot more than a full size fuel powered low rpm small powerband engine. If you can adjust the gearing to keep the motor/esc within safe temps, you dont have the wrong motor. Granted there are situations where you would have the wrong motor... Like putting your 3800 in an e-maxx...

Most people burn stuff by either trying to push something to its limits, or making a mistake (such as too tight gear mesh, not checking temps when gearing up, or not paying attention to the manufacturers specs).

What is the point of this thread?>

By the way, you are geared really low for that motor. Gearing too low can cause a motor to run at higher rpm all the time and can make it overheat. Hope you are checking those motor temps 8)

By comparison, my 4 pole 4600 castle runs at 120 with 23/87. Yours should run about room temps or slightly above with my gearing. If you are over 110, you are undergeared, and not using the motors power, but suffocating it.

He is running 3s with that gearing too.
    If it was just 2s yeah it's too low..

RC Racer
    i am new to brushless see so many diff. gear set ups and everone say to low except castle who make the set up. there is way more adj. you can make on these things with out pulling cams or pistons my point is why everone does diff then man. say to run

i am new to brushless see so many diff. gear set ups and everone say to low except castle who make the set up. there is way more adj. you can make on these things with out pulling cams or pistons my point is why everone does diff then man. say to run
    They choose different gear ratios to find the best one in between heat and speed
    It's also based on the terrain they run on
    It also differs from speed runner to racer to basher

This is interesting,I too am ASE certified,and have been building 7 and 8 second 1/4 mile cars for just shy of 30 years.
    This make's the importance over,or under gearing quiet clear.
    Not to mention what the manufacture suggest.
    Ford says the stock 302 block can handle 500hp,It tolerated 900 for a bit,then split in two pieces.
    Castle say's the sidewinder esc will take 2s in the slash with no issues,3s in a lighter rc vehicle,not that it wont do it.
    Imo you walking a tight rope on 3s in a slash.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

^^
    Billy he might be running the mmp sct combo..

RC Racer
    shouldn't the people that make motor know whats best for it? and is a brushless like a combustion engine made to run at certain temps ? like chevy 350 best performance at 195 deg. any more or less it changes.

shouldn't the people that make motor know whats best for it? and is a brushless like a combustion engine made to run at certain temps ? like chevy 350 best performance at 195 deg. any more or less it changes.
    Kinda..
    Never run the motor higher then 175
    I like running mine near 100-120..

And the people that make the motor give suggestions
    There suggestions are based on every terrain..
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    ^^
    Billy he might be running the mmp sct combo..
    If he's running the mmp,it will be fine on 3's.I thought he said he was running the side winder in another post.
    I haven't been in the forum lately,as spring is hear,and I have been getting my fleet ready for the summer season.
    If this is the case,the 3800kv 4 pole castle will pound the life out of the slash on 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If he's running the mmp,it will be fine on 3's.I thought he said he was running the side winder in another post.
    I haven't been in the forum lately,as spring is hear,and I have been getting my fleet ready for the summer season.
    If this is the case,the 3800kv 4 pole castle will pound the life out of the slash on 3s.
    LOL your fleet of many
    Still got that T-Maxx?

RC Racer
    a couple things "bones" first would you take you 1/4 mile car to baja 1000 then to datona then then take it drifting? and if so would you use same trany and motor? or would just a gear change make it work for all?

Superslasher..
    I think you might have an interest in nitro rc's.

The motor is not the issue,it can take it with a smile. It's the esc that will get hot if you have the side winder. The 3800 is rated for 3s,with the mmp it's not a problem,and at 20/90,even the side winder might have a chance.
    Think of the 4 pole as a big block,and the 2 pole velineon as a small block.
    The big block make's a lot more torque at lower rpm's,were the small block need's far more rpm's to produce the same torque.

So ....
    To clear this up..
    What electronic speed control do you have?

Your question is as ridicules as it is not relevant.You wouldn't have to be a engine builder to no the two engines are completely different animals..You asked for an answer and we are trying to help. With your mechanical ability,gearing a small electric motor shouldn't even be a problem.
    a couple things "bones" first would you take you 1/4 mile car to baja 1000 then to datona then then take it drifting? and if so would you use same trany and motor? or would just a gear change make it work for all?

RC Racer
    i am verry into nitro and having a ball with the new brushless

i am verry into nitro and having a ball with the new brushless
    Okay..
    So what esc do you got... Asking again

RC Racer
    sorry the sct with built on fan verry verry happy with it

sorry guess my main prob is the huge diff in some gearing people running
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.

sorry the sct with built on fan verry verry happy with it
    Sidewinder Sct or Mamba max pro SCT..

It depend on your terrain
    So where do you run?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-01-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    dune(2200kv big block) hard dirt (3800kv small block) street (5700kv hp small block)

sct and sct pro (with 2200/5700) keep sct 3800 in on truck and swap out other two in my second

what i ment by that question bones was people trying to drag/climb hills/and race with same motor and gears i change out motor sometimes and never melted or striped any thing
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-01-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Guys please give the chain posting a rest and use the edit button if you have a follow up thought a minute or two after you just posted. I have had to merge about a half a dozen posts in this thread

I dont see how this is a "problem". Different people have different power systems, run on different sized tires, different battery voltages, different terrain, different driving style, seek different performance, etc. All these variables play into why people use a wide variety of gearing.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    i ment with sct 3800kv i have seen a big diff in gearing

i ment with sct 3800kv i have seen a big diff in gearing
    What Dad said..

RC Racer
    think point got off track just noticed how many people run so many dif. gearing on same truck same motor same terrain

Well people have different opinions
    Some might not want to run that gearing because they do not want there electronics getting that hot
    Also they might not have enough gears to experiment with

It varies also by their temperature outside

RC Racer
    well i am learning all over again with the brushless and need to know prob more then i have to. it is great having all these forms and stuff online when i started 40 years ago we used strings. love my slash and sct 3800kv never ever fails me (2s or 3s)

I can kinda relate with this issue. I think a good amount of the variable comes down to driving style and application. But on the same note, I set one of my SC10's up to Ryan Maifields's setup sheet. Same 7.5 motor and 2S lipo running similar conditions. I killed two expensive motors in one weekend. The first one was with the gearing that he used. The second try, I dropped two teeth off of the pinion and still killed a new motor within a day.

Sometimes the different gearing suggestion posted on the internet baffles me too. When it comes right down to it, you just gotta go with what works for you and your track. I try to weed through all the stuff I read online and go with the most reliable sources. And even those are just used as a starting point. Unless they're racing next to me with an identical setup and beating me, you really can't treat their word as gold.

RC Competitor
    Another factor is the cooling system people have. The last year I was racing at the track, with the upgrades I use I had to be in the Mod Truck Class, I was running my Slash with a 10.5T (4200KV) Novak system geared 27/76 without any temp issues. The track was more of a fast track than a technical one, I geared for top speed not acceleration. In the SC class most were running a 13.5T (3500KV) geared more like 20-23/86 to keep their temps manageable. At the end of the race my motor was measured at 120 and the ESC 125. There were 2 1/10 scale nitro truggies that were placed in the class, since there were not enough to have their own class, and I placed 2nd just behind one of them. My motor temp stayed cool due to an Integy heatsink/fan combo along with the Al tranny case I run. My ESC has a fan on it to help with it's temp. To allow better air flow I use the bug body instead of a normal SC body.

RC Racer
    im not a pro rc racer (to old and no time) i do race at a track with my son and both our trucks get questioned after we both win or place in top 5 and we run close to what man. recomends alignment is everything for controle

im not a pro rc racer (to old and no time) i do race at a track with my son and both our trucks get questioned after we both win or place in top 5 and we run close to what man. recomends alignment is everything for controle
    Not really though. Alignment is a big factor, but so is tire choice, suspension settings, throttle control, and so-on.

RC Racer
    yeah but all that with a bad alignment and your not winning

yeah but all that with a bad alignment and your not winning
    True, but alignment is probably the least of the evils in the equation. Weren't you the guy claiming to be an ASE master tech or something along those lines? If so, then you probably realize how different things affect the ride of a vehicle. Think about this: What do you think is more likely to cause a vehicle to go off the road? An improper camber setting or bald tires?