RC Competitor

Strange enigne issue

Guys,

So I am having this strange problem with my motor speeding up, then shutting off. If I keep the throttle on, no problem. Then when I let off the throttle, instead of idling, the engine revs up, then shuts off. Anyone else have this problem before?

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like the low speed needle is lean.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Competitor
    I'll check that. Anything else I can look at?

Check for a air leak that could be making the engine lean out at low speeds, and check the idle speed also, that could change the tune also. Hope this helps!

EDIT: When the engine revs up, does it sound really weird or strange? If so, it's 100% a lean low speed needle.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    No engine doesn't sound wierd. Just revs up like when you pinch off fuel line before shutdown. Am I checking for an air leak at the fuel line or somewhere else on the engine?

Am I checking for an air leak at the fuel line or somewhere else on the engine?
    Could be either one. Most common (IMO) is a air leak at the base of the carb where the carb enters the engine, or when a carb plug comes loose, or strips out.

RC Competitor
    Ok I am confused. Carb plug? If it is where the carb meets the engine, do I have to replace the carb? I am going to check LSN first and make sure it's good.

Ok I am confused. Carb plug? If it is where the carb meets the engine, do I have to replace the carb? I am going to check LSN first and make sure it's good.
    The carb plug is the metal inserts next to, and underneath the hsn needle. They fill in spots from the manufacturing process, and sometime the little plugs can come loose, or leak. No, you don't need to replace the carb if there is a air leak. You can use a rubber sealant around the base to make sure there isn't any air leaks. Good luck.