RC Enthusiast

Im new, go easy lol

Hello all,

I used to have a few RC cars when I was around 10 years old. These where only 50 or so models, nothing fancy.

I seen a guy with one the other day and thought it looked amazing so I have just bought myself the Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL from modelsport.co.uk

It should come on Wednesday and was just wondering is there any mods or something I need to do to protect my new pride and joy.

I don't want to wreck it. Any helpful tips would be very nice as im sure you are all a great bunch on here

Many thanks

Paul from Wirral, England

RC Qualifier
    Get yourself some good lipos and a good charger. When things break upgrade them to better parts. As far as mods go, a lot of people shim the diffs to prevent stripping of diff gears. Do a search on the forums here there are many andante sure you take the time to sit and read the owners manual, I still find myself after years of owning one, referencing the manual for things. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Racer
    A good upgrade right out of the box IMO is the Traxxas aluminum pushrods #7118X and turnbuckles #7138X and some RPM arms. If you're interested in wrenching a decent set of drivers are also a worthwhile investment.

RC Enthusiast
    Many thanks for the replies. I have reading the manual on my tablet for a while now. It will all make more sense when I have it in my hands on Wednesday. I will look into shim the diffs but when I get it I'm having it in training mode for a while till I get the hang on the beast. I will look into the upgrades but the first things I'm going to be buying is an extra battery and wheelie bar.
    You will be hearing more from on here as I think I'm going to really get into this
    May I ask what wrenching is? And what are drivers? I did say I'm new ha ha

Welcome to the forums, paulwiggie!

"Wrenching" is a term that some folks use to refer to working on your R/C vehicle. "Drivers" refers to the hex drivers that are used when one is "wrenching." A good set of hex drivers is important to ensure that you save yourself a few headaches, do not strip out any screws, etc.

I'm not sure what is available to you, but I prefer Bondhus brand drivers (I have their metric prohold ball driver set); I've been using that set of years, and it has been great.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-01-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes. A set of hex wrenches with a hardened tip will last for years and be good for your screws
    I use a dynamite red aluminum set
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2904
    For good protection of your mini a T bone 3 piece bumper will help do the job

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh.. I feel like a right noob. I have a good set of screwdriver's and hex set. I cant wait to get it, I will come on here and let you all know how my first drive was.
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Yes. A set of hex wrenches with a hardened tip will last for years and be good for your screws
    I use a dynamite red aluminum set
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2904
    For good protection of your mini a T bone 3 piece bumper will help do the job
    Thanks 50. You have a link to one so I can get an idea of what a t bone 3 piece one looks like?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-01-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The look takes some getting use to but can't beat them for strength http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...6-E-Revo-c183/
    Here is one shot on my 1/10 revo
    Last edited by 50togo; 04-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwiggie View Post
    Thanks 50. You have a link to one so I can get an idea of what a t bone 3 piece one looks like?
    I second the t-bone 3 piece bumper set. It will make your car a TANK! you can get it at http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...Revo-p431.html

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 007A99 View Post
    I second the t-bone 3 piece bumper set. It will make your car a TANK! you can get it at http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...Revo-p431.html
    So if I get that one it will protect the bottom, front and back 007a99?

50togo, that looks awesome!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thanks!
    that would be a yes!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for that 50. Think I will order that. You have been of great help and I'm sure you will help me even more in the future. Your now my RC friend

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Always glad to help!

RC Champion
    The look takes some getting use to but can't beat them for strength http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...6-E-Revo-c183/
    Here is one shot on my 1/10 revo
    I have a question after seeing that pic...
    The round cross piece attached to the front bumper mount...is that something that's part of the t-bone front skit plate...or something you added?
    I'm asking because I want to put the t-bone skids on mine...but I also want to run grave Digger bumpers to complete the look I'm going for.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a part of the t bone for the 1/10 scale revo

RC Qualifier
    I had to get lipos. Not just for the power, but I was tired of running for 10 mins and charging for hours. A good lipo and charger will make the hobby so much better from the start. Just get used to driving it. Throttle control is key. Good luck!!

RC Racer
    It depends on where you drive and how agressive you will drive.

As togo says the tbone parts are a good investment.

The best replacement for A Arms, are the RPM ones, but first change them when you broke the original ones.

The important points in my eyes are:
    - Shimming the diff (very cheap protection of the "expensive" diff)
    - T Bone (will save money in the future)
    - LiPos (fast charging, more powerful, better runtimes)
    - Servo (after some time your servo will get broke, you will get better replacement servos from 5 to 30 pounds)

Optional parts after some time:
    - New shocks/springs
    - Wheels
    - Arms
    - Axlecarrier
    - Pushrods
    and so on..
    Last edited by Feivel; 04-02-2013 at 07:20 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info guys. I get it tomorrow, its been dispatched!

RC Enthusiast
    well..... I have it now

Just set it to training mode and checked it all works in my living room for about 20 seconds.

Now im charging the battery but with it being nearly 7pm here im not going to get a go till tomorrow

Will keep you all posted on how I get on.

RC Competitor
    I just got my wife a MERV...came in the mail today. Neat little truck; we got 2s lipos with it and that little bugger will flip right on it's back from a dead standstill . I have a slash 4x4 VXL that I got about 4 months ago and love it so I am only a semi-noob. Went with 3s lipo right out of the gate with the slash and am still upgrading to make it tough enough. I am looking forward to playing with the merv but my wife has threatened my life if I break it. LOL.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, so I had a little go earlier. Car is amazing but I have 1 problem.... Keeping the car on its wheels. It only has to go over a little bump in the road and it flips. Any tips to keeping it from flipping so much?

RC Qualifier
    Adjust your shocks to be a little softer. You do that by rotating the adjustment ring on the shock body counter clockwise. But pay attention to your ride height. If your not sure what the adjustment ring is, its the black ring at the top of the spring. I'm not trying to treat you like you stupid, its just that most people that are just starting out don't know the terminology.

RC Racer
    Do it like Mark says. Whats the color of the spring? I mean the little Stripe on the top. Not the red basic color.

RC Enthusiast
    it has green marking on the springs. I have made them a little softer and it seems much better.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by paulwiggie; 04-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    ok, so I have my t bone installed. just need to glue my front tyre back on as its come loose and im all set for some weekend fun.

Next upgrade is another battery and the parallel connector.

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    looking good
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the bumpers go on the bottom with the nuts on the inside

RC Enthusiast
    the bumpers go on the bottom with the nuts on the inside
    Lol, this was a test. You passed, I will change it later