RC poster

upgrading to brushless tenshock/gearing questions

Have a 2wd pede ( bought in 2011). I just bought a tenshock 401 (4400kv) /hobbywing 120 amp esc combo. I will just run a 2 cell lipo for now. The tenshock has a 5mm shaft, so I know I'll have to get a new pinion gear. Can anyone suggest what gear combo I should be running (pinion and spur)? My main thing is bashing, not running up and down street doing speed runs.

Thanks

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    For bashing and keeping that motor fairly cool i'd suggest starting around 16-18t pinion gear. The 4400kv motor is going to be faster so you will need to gear it down to slower the speed. If you can, pick up a couple of gears and see what you like.

I run 19/83 on my Digger with CC 3800kv and its speed is between 35-40mph.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    So should I just keep the stock spur at 87 and put a 16-18t pinion for starters? I appreciate your response. I really am lost with reguards to gearing. Lets put it this way, would a 16t pinion be the most conservative option for starters? Check temps and move up if temps are low? At what point do I start changing the spur?

RC poster
    Just realized I have an 86t spur, sorry.

I would start out conservatively first then go from there. You could pick up the 16t and 18t and test the 18t and see what the temps are during your first run. You can possibly gear up higher than that if you need to. You just want to keep the motor can at 180 or less. I keep mine around 160 justs to be cautious.

The spur isnt really a big deal. It takes about 6 teeth on it to make a difference in gearing.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    This is kinda off topic but you want to use high quality battery's with tenshock motors. They are demanding like 50c discharge battery's.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC poster
    Thanks for your replies. I gives me a starting point.

RC poster
    Some of you guys seem know/have experience with these tenshocks. First, I will be running 2 cell 5900mah 60C batts. I think I'm good there. I just recieved the Tenshock 401 v2 w/ hobbywing WP-SC8 esc today. I'm a newbie so please be patient. The motor had no manual/diagrams. I really don't know how to hook wires to motor. The motor has three gold v shaped studs protruding from it. Am I to solder the wires directly to studs? Next question, there are three wires that came with motor. Yellow, blue. red. What sequence do I wire these to motor. Esc has three black wires labeled A B & C. Once I establish order of wires on motor, which color wire goes to the corresponding "lettered" wires on ESC? Perhaps this is all common knowledge, but I am new to all this. A diagram of proper install would have been nice Hope someone can school me!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy6 View Post
    Some of you guys seem know/have experience with these tenshocks. First, I will be running 2 cell 5900mah 60C batts. I think I'm good there. I just recieved the Tenshock 401 v2 w/ hobbywing WP-SC8 esc today. I'm a newbie so please be patient. The motor had no manual/diagrams. I really don't know how to hook wires to motor. The motor has three gold v shaped studs protruding from it. Am I to solder the wires directly to studs? Next question, there are three wires that came with motor. Yellow, blue. red. What sequence do I wire these to motor. Esc has three black wires labeled A B & C. Once I establish order of wires on motor, which color wire goes to the corresponding "lettered" wires on ESC? Perhaps this is all common knowledge, but I am new to all this. A diagram of proper install would have been nice Hope someone can school me!
    With sensorless motors the order of the wire don't matter, not sure on the soldering, if you show me a picture I could tell you.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

I don't believe there is any wire sequence (no polarity). Once you connect the wires up, hit forward throttle and if the truck goes forward you are good, if it goes in reverse just switch 2 of the wires and you are good to go. You should be able to switch the motor direction from the ESC programmer to if you want to go that route. Just remember to calibrate your Tx to ESC for throttle settings.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore