RC Racer

son of a digger for my son and have questions

hey guys...picked this up for my 3 yr old son as he keeps wanting to run mine...i figured i'd leave it in training mode for him to learn on

i got a couple of slashes,but never had a monster jam truck or stampede...apparently the same truck minus tire and body huh?

what is the best way to go about making this 4wd in the future?

i got a great deal on the on the rtr kit...210 shipped brand new

RC Racer
    great choice.... I picked grave digger up for my 4 year old son about a month ago.. Training mode lasted about 1 battery.. I was very surprised on how well he did. Your son is going to love it

RC Racer
    Congrats! I've had the Son-Uva Digger for a couple months and I love it!

Your best bet would be to buy a Stampede 4x4 roller, but it's going to take some work. The Monster Jam body mounts will have to be cuts and modified to fit the body.

It all can be done from what I've read, it will just take some work. I like having the 2WD because it gets some monster wheelies. If you want a challenge, going brushless adds a whole new level of fun!

Enjoy!

make sure you get a wheelie bar
    Great way to keep that lid looking "newer"
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    wheelie bar is a necessity

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
    what is the best way to go about making this 4wd in the future?
    There is no way to make a stampede 4wd well not without a TON of modifications it would be alot easier to take a slash and convert it to a Stampede 4x4 by getting the stampede chassis. Or just buy a stampede 4x4. The Monster Jam bodies are not a direct fit onto the Stampede 4x4 but some people have made them fit.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Racer
    hmmm,ok...the 4wd might be out...i talked to the reps at monster jam finals in las vegas last weekend and did tell them i thought it was very silly to not have a 4wd option for the monster trucks...i mean really 2wd monster trucks,lol

i do have an extra reedy 3300kv out of my sc10b or a losi 2800kv...maybe i should give on of them a whirl in it also...will the esc handle these motors with 2s batteries?

wheelie bar...check
    anything else?

hmmm,ok...the 4wd might be out...i talked to the reps at monster jam finals in las vegas last weekend and did tell them i thought it was very silly to not have a 4wd option for the monster trucks...i mean really 2wd monster trucks,lol

i do have an extra reedy 3300kv out of my sc10b or a losi 2800kv...maybe i should give on of them a whirl in it also...will the esc handle these motors with 2s batteries?

wheelie bar...check
    anything else?
    The reason is because it's cheaper

RC Racer
    ha nice and honest reply...still selling a 4wd drive version as well as a 2wd would be cool

anyways,do i need to get him a wheelie bar mount also or just a wheelie bar setup?

ha nice and honest reply...still selling a 4wd drive version as well as a 2wd would be cool

anyways,do i need to get him a wheelie bar mount also or just a wheelie bar setup?
    Just the set up?
    And 4wd would be more overwhelming for a noob
    Also more product to drag along to every monster jam

RC Racer
    thanks kd...i got the wheelie bar already then which i dont use on my slash

RC Competitor
    The stock XL-5 ESC can't handle brushless motors (I'm assuming that your 3300kv & 2800kv motors are brushless)

I have the Grave Digger and Grave Digger 30th and find the VXL-3s to be plenty of speed and power on 2s.
    Founder of the Mini Monsters RC group

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMonstersRC View Post
    The stock XL-5 ESC can't handle brushless motors (I'm assuming that your 3300kv & 2800kv motors are brushless)

I have the Grave Digger and Grave Digger 30th and find the VXL-3s to be plenty of speed and power on 2s.
    No actually the XL5 cannot support any brushless motor

RC Racer
    ok...thanks

RC Qualifier
    There isn't a way to make a 2WD drive truck 4WD, because it would take a ton of midifications, time, and money. By the time you finish converting it, you'll wish you would have gotten the 4WD right from the start.

RC Champion
    What was his reply to that? And lucky you got to go to the world finals why I watched the crappy party in the pits livestream...
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

I don't see why a kid can't handle a 4wd truck but can drive a 2wd. The 4wd should be easier to handle.

Why not buy a P4de and put the MJ lid and tires on it? That would be a cheap conversion.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    just making his first rc simple on dad and he loves monster trucks is why i went with that which i did

not really worried about it that i can't do simple 4wd mod...i will get him something else 4wd down the road if he so desires

the rep just said by the 4wd pede and put the body on it,lol

as for making it to monster jam finals,i have always wanted to go and this year we made the trek...all i can say is it was awesome...way better than the rest of the year and the finale with maximum destruction was awesome...his 10 year annv,had 5 trucks to start with,unveiled one on friday and it was destroyed by saturday night,freestyle with the other 4 trucks all at the same time and the first ever double backflip!!!

RC Enthusiast
    awesome, we get Monster Jam on free to air here in OZ but its from 2011 lol! My almost 4 year old loves MJ so got him the 30th GD for xmas and he couldnt believe his eyes it was great and he is all over it nowadays, wheelies, dounuts and jumps haha then he was having so much fun I got myself the Grinder version now both cars are awaiting their Brushless conversion as the 12T has died on the GD, they are so much fun i havnt touched my EREVO since haha cant wait to brushless fun...good luck with yours mate, glad to hear im not the only dad playing with MJ's haha

oh, and a double backflip you say...will have to yotube it...got a link by any chance?
    ERBE Basher
    30th Grave Digger & Grinder MJ

RC Enthusiast
    Hey, I'm glad to see that there's another dad as nutty as I am to put an RC Monster Truck in the hands of a little kid... LOL! Sounds like we're both just getting into this thing. Look forward to swapping Son-uva digger stories and advice with you.
    Traxxas Monster Jam Son-uva Digger w/ TQ 2.4GHz

RC Racer
    My 4 year old wanted grave digger... So that is what he got
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkPimuverso

RC Champion
    the rep just said by the 4wd pede and put the body on it,lol
    He says that as if its a direct fit which its not.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    He says that as if its a direct fit which its not.
    Are you sure about that? Why not?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Are you sure about that? Why not?
    Because i've seen people making special mounts to mount then with drilling new holes then having stupid holes in your body.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

The Stampede 4x4 and Stampede 2WD bodies have the same dimensions and mounting holes. A van-style or a SUV body on a 4x4 will require different (tall) rear body posts, and possibly modified front posts. This is not atypical when fitting any different or aftermarket body.
    I put a Suburban body on my Slash 4x4. Same rear mount and it wasn't difficult.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    yep he said it just like easy does it,lol

i don't think mj would be ok with any video being posted before it goes out for sale???

yep us crazy dad's and our kids,lol

4 yr old was doing pretty good

RC Enthusiast
    haha yeh 2 of everything, one for the kid one for me, maybe we shouldnt let the kids know this later in life, cause when they start to drive real cars they will be waiting for the keys haha, enjoy guys thats awesome!!
    ERBE Basher
    30th Grave Digger & Grinder MJ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The Stampede 4x4 and Stampede 2WD bodies have the same dimensions and mounting holes. A van-style or a SUV body on a 4x4 will require different (tall) rear body posts, and possibly modified front posts. This is not atypical when fitting any different or aftermarket body.
    I put a Suburban body on my Slash 4x4. Same rear mount and it wasn't difficult.
    I'm talking about grave digger and everyone says the mj posts won't just mount up unless something changes in the last month?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Racer
    well,i pick up the kids son of a digger tomorrow from the po...lol,i'm more excited than the kid

RC Racer
    dang rain...2 days now...kids just biting at the bit to run it,lol

RC poster
    Just ordered a Son uva Digger for my sons 5th Birthday! I'm so excited!!!

FYI: there is no way to convert a 2wd stampede to a 4wd, they are different chassis, and trans. etc.

RC Racer
    Nice! Enjoy it! I'd highly recommend getting the Grave Digger light kit and then solder on some blue RC LED's for blue headlights. It's a cool look that it's pretty cheap.

And there's always a way to convert to 4WD... it's just a matter of how much time and money someone wants to spend... it's just usually more than the 4WD would have cost to begin with.