So these Are my choices..
    Yamaha Grizzley EFI 700
    Can am outlander 500
    Honda Trx450R
    Polaris sportsman 400 H.O.
    Polaris Sportman 500

What should I get?
    Idk how much the Yamaha is..
    It's my opas and my dad hasn't asked him about it.
    He's never gone in mud and uses them once a year

I guess you can call them garage queens
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Out of those choices the can-am seems like your best bet. The griz is a monster for someone under 150lbs coming off of a much smaller bike. I used to ride my friends griz 660 and it was a handful, not in the power department bt in the way it handled. Coming into corners it would push like crazy and in the rough stuff the high cg made it tip so easily.

The only reason I don't stay go with the 450 is because of the crew your riding with. If the terrain is anything like where I live there would be atleast 1 450 in among your group, but there's not so 4wd must be a necessity. All in all the can-am 500 is a very good middle ground tho, quite sporty while still plenty capable when the trail gets tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

The 700 rides nice though
    I find my dads 500 outlander harder to ride
    Before I got my 90 I rode my dads 500
    I was going to fast so he got me the 90..

RC Racer
    Ohh, your talkin about an outlander, sorry. I was thinking of the renegade 500.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Of those choices id would look at the 400ho or 500... The grizzly is alot of bike and im not crazy about the handling of that chassis. They are a great bike, but need a set of tires before they handle on par with the polaris or the can-am. The Can-am is the older chassis (not the G2) and IMO, they dont handle as well as they should and they are well known to have frame and brake issues. The new G2 chassis is excellent, but im not a huge fan of the original outlander chassis. The 500 is a rocket in the 500 class though.

Im sticking to my guns on this one... the 4 or 500 sportsman would be great choices.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Of those choices id would look at the 400ho or 500... The grizzly is alot of bike and im not crazy about the handling of that chassis. They are a great bike, but need a set of tires before they handle on par with the polaris or the can-am. The Can-am is the older chassis (not the G2) and IMO, they dont handle as well as they should and they are well known to have frame and brake issues. The new G2 chassis is excellent, but im not a huge fan of the original outlander chassis. The 500 is a rocket in the 500 class though.

Im sticking to my guns on this one... the 4 or 500 sportsman would be great choices.
    Yeah
    If I get the grizzly I'm gonna put some swamp lites on it or something

But the Polaris is the nicest one I believe..

Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    Ohh, your talkin about an outlander, sorry. I was thinking of the renegade 500.

Aha no
    I wish

RC Champion
    I was riding a honda rincon 800 when i was 9, so I wouldnt be too scared of powerful ones, just take it easy
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Im only just 15 and have had a 250 raptor for 2 years now. I personally think for someone around our age it is a great quad, lots of power, easy to ride, and most importantly can go anywhere. I take mine into the bush up real steep rocky hills and on the beach and I never have a problem with it.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Oh sorry I didn't read the whole post. You really want power try and pick up an R1 powered quad, boy do those things have some power (lol) For what you want a 700 Raptor is also a good thing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I was riding a honda rincon 800 when i was 9, so I wouldnt be too scared of powerful ones, just take it easy
    Rincon is and has always been 680cc.

The Raptor 700 is a terrible choice for what the OP wants. A sport quad will not do what he needs it to.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I would listen to what pav is trying to tell you he knows a lot about these things, JMO but listen to the man he knows what he is talking about. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    The Raptor 700 is a terrible choice for what the OP wants. A sport quad will not do what he needs it to.
    Ah okay looking for a more offroad quad than a Raptor

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Ah okay looking for a more offroad quad than a Raptor
    Didn't know they made on-road quads. ****

RC Qualifier
    How about a Yamaha Blaster? They are cheap and they are everywhere
    Last edited by oldbikedude; 04-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s

RC Competitor
    y type are you looking for im same age and height and i have a honda rancher 420? i thini mabey a 450 idk but it is amazing

I'm looking for a fun, reliable atv
    Without bieng too costly

RC Champion
    Rincon is and has always been 680cc.

oops misprint, ment to say 680, confusing the cc's with the rzr. kdvanb, i have always had good luck with hondas, they are extremely reliable, the only problem ive had with hondas are dead batteries, which is an easy fix
    Last edited by sean1214; 04-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    oops misprint, ment to say 680, confusing the cc's with the rzr. kdvanb, i have always had good luck with hondas, they are extremely reliable, the only problem ive had with hondas are dead batteries, which is an easy fix
    thats the problem with mine right now need to get a new battery.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    BLASTER!!! I have one that I'm trying to sell right now, $1300 and it's yours . Trust me, a sport quad is what you really want. A utility is nice because you can go through puddles, and carry stuff around on the racks, but theyre nowhere near as fun as a sport quad. They're a lot faster, lighter, and just overall more fun IMO. You say under 5000, does that mean your parents will let you spend that much? Or is it your money that you'd want to save as much as possible? A 450 is probably too big for you, they have a crazy amount of power. A Yamaha Blaster, Warrior, or Raptor could be good, or a Honda 300ex is good too.

RC Champion
    i am happy with my sightly modified honda recon 250 and i am 16 and 145 lbs
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    I have a repair shop and usually on the foremans and recons the you will have alot of brakre problems if u go in alot of mud and if its a es model shift angle senser or shift motors always go bad . Has far as the 2006 + honda 450r real reliable handles good better than the yamaha.450 . Polaris 500 sportsman good 4x4 when its engaged it locks.all.four.tires in no sljpping but if your belt case isnt sealed good and u go in water over belt coved it will slip and on the 500 engine trans diff is all one big case 700 + sportsman there seperate alot better design. Arctic cat =junk

RC Racer
    And swamplites look good but not real effective in thick mud but ride pretty good compared to mudzilla and outlaws . I go through alot of mud so i did 28 mudzilla but when they wear out ill put 29.5 outlaws

Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    BLASTER!!! I have one that I'm trying to sell right now, $1300 and it's yours . Trust me, a sport quad is what you really want. A utility is nice because you can go through puddles, and carry stuff around on the racks, but theyre nowhere near as fun as a sport quad. They're a lot faster, lighter, and just overall more fun IMO. You say under 5000, does that mean your parents will let you spend that much? Or is it your money that you'd want to save as much as possible? A 450 is probably too big for you, they have a crazy amount of power. A Yamaha Blaster, Warrior, or Raptor could be good, or a Honda 300ex is good too.
    Well I'm selling my current one
    Then I'm buying one do I'll need to put a bit of money in

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Yeah..
    I think Artic cat are all bad lemons though
    Yesturday we went out
    There was a guy having problems with his 4wd
    Just cuz one guy has problems doesnt mean all are lemons. if that were the case every Polaris ATV and snowmobile would be a lemon to me. I've had a 2007 Cat 500 since new in 09 and I've had no problems and I love the thing. It rides nice, has tons of power, can pull a crazy amount, and can go through tons of water and mud. I'm not trying to start a war here, i just dont like it when people bash cat atvs for no reason. If you havent owned one, dont say anything.

With that said I'd go with a Honda, those things are unkillable. They arent the fastest things in the world, or the best riding, but they are a great atv for someone who is going to be slightly abusive to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    Just cuz one guy has problems doesnt mean all are lemons. if that were the case every Polaris ATV and snowmobile would be a lemon to me. I've had a 2007 Cat 500 since new in 09 and I've had no problems and I love the thing. It rides nice, has tons of power, can pull a crazy amount, and can go through tons of water and mud. I'm not trying to start a war here, i just dont like it when people bash cat atvs for no reason. If you havent owned one, dont say anything.

With that said I'd go with a Honda, those things are unkillable. They arent the fastest things in the world, or the best riding, but they are a great atv for someone who is going to be slightly abusive to it.
    Sorry
    I just don't like Artic cat atv's
    It's true though that not all of them have problems
    My uncle has one.

RC Competitor
    I have 2 grizzzly 700s, a 2007 and 2011. 07 has 29.5 outlaws, clutch kit, exhaust and programmer, snorkels, hi flow air filter and the 2011 has 30 silverbacks. Never had a problem with either, both run great and tons of fun. Thick mud, snow, water no problems. Deepest I have been is just under 5 feet of water with the snorkeled one.

Can get a grizzly 700 for under 5000 with power steering and stuff. Great machine factory and can be done up quite a bit

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Sorry
    I just don't like Artic cat atv's
    It's true though that not all of them have problems
    My uncle has one.
    I can understand that. I love having the 500 manual. It tops out at about 60mph on gps, but it'll go faster, just needs a longer top gear. The only complaint i have is the thing is huge, so it doesnt feel as light and agile as other quads, but itll go through anything, and thats mostly what i use it for.