Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best atv..

Best atv..

Hey everyone
    Just wanted to now your opinion on the best atv..

I'm looking for under 5000$
    Reliable and tough
    I am almost 14.. So it doesn't have to be quick and speedy.

Currently I have a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 90
    I cruise around at full speed..

I will be using it for trail riding and booting around the backyard..
    I like torque, which my current atv doesn't give.

2wd or 4wd but 4wd preferred

Thanks guys
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey Pav, where are you? Someone needs your expert advice!

RC Champion
    Honda 450R (and hold on tight)

RC Champion
    i have a 350 warrior, but its nothing to brag about, lol. it rides trails excellent, and has reverse, and i instaled a hitch for yard work . of course im 43 years old, and in no hurry. i do wish i had a 4x4 grizzly with a plow.
    Last edited by ajcar; 03-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    I have a polaris 800 sportsman plenty if power and can pretty much get me anywhere

RC Qualifier
    I got a trx450 and its not for backyard riding hehe you need a big area to ride a beast like this, Thats why I gotta sell it.

Get a trx400ex plenty of power and reverse with is needed alot
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mlw202 View Post
    I have a polaris 800 sportsman plenty if power and can pretty much get me anywhere
    No where near 5000$
    And too much for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    i have a 350 warrior, but its nothing to brag about, lol. it rides trails excellent, and has reverse, and i instaled a hitch for yard work . of course im 43 years old, and in no hurry. i do wish i had a 4x4 grizzly with a plow.
    My opa has a grizzly 500 I can buy..
    If I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx1991 View Post
    Honda 450R (and hold on tight)
    Isn't that a racing quad ...
    Don't they need more care and maintenance ?

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Isn't that a racing quad ...
    Don't they need more care and maintenance ?
    Not necessarily. They're consider sport ATV's. They take a alot of aftermarket stuff to prep them specifically for racing just like anything else. As far as maintenance on a sport ATV, it's no different than any other ATV keeping the oil changed and valves adjusted. You just can't mud bog with sport ATV's nor do you really want to use them for yard work or farm work and such.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Not necessarily. They're consider sport ATV's. They take a alot of aftermarket stuff to prep them specifically for racing just like anything else. As far as maintenance on a sport ATV, it's no different than any other ATV keeping the oil changed and valves adjusted. You just can't mud bog with sport ATV's nor do you really want to use them for yard work or farm work and such.
    Okay..
    Well I don't think it's for me..
    Our trails around here have up to 4 foot holes..
    There mostly just 2 ft holes but still..

RC Racer
    I've been riding since I'm nine years old, raced for a few years now just go rip around where I live. I think you should go with a 450. I had mine since I was 15 and still ride the same 05 yfz450. A 4x4 is cool to strap a cooler to or take your girl out on but for having fun a 450 is where its at. My friend got a trx450r last year for 2700 bucks. The thing was hardly ever ridden. A 400ex is a good choice but once you get the hang out riding a bigger quad you'll want more. The 450s come from the factory very tame. A pipe, filter and jets will bump you up once you get the hang of thing to keep you excited. Then once that gets old a high comp pistion and cams will give you more power than you need. That's the stage my 450 is at now, but I've ridden some big bore stroker thumpers and there scary fast.

Its all about how you ride, I live like 2 miles from one of the top atv racers in the world and I know I can't go rippin like he does. Its just about self control and knowing your limits. If you have people to ride with who don't mind taking it easy and showing you the ropes, you'll have a great time with a 450.

Here's mine, she took years to get to this point but riding used to be all I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You can pick up a really nice ATV for $5000 if you look around.

At 14 your WAY too big for your sportsman 90. But IMO a polaris is a great choice to move up to. There are 3 ATV's I think you should look for.

First, the sporstman 500... its not overly fast or too powerful but has more than enough power to do anything youll ever need it to do. It will last you as long as you want to ride it or until you decide you want MORE power. They ride excellent, handle better than any other ATV in their class and are tough. Perhaps not as tough as a honda but hondas ride and handle terrible so its worth the trade off. They have also made them for nearly 2 decades so you can pick one up used pretty much anywhere.

Next would be a sportsman 400... there were years this bike was built on the full size sporstman chassis just like the 500, but somewhere around 2006 or so (not exactly sure) they built them on a smaller size chassis. In the smaller chassis the 400 was rocket. It was so light that the 400 motor felt awesome. In the larger chassis its certainly on the low end of the power scale but the ride and handling is every bit as good as the 500 or 800. They are more rare than the 500's so they would be harder to find but they cost less too. A brand new sportsman 400HO retails for $5700 brand new so you should be able to pick up a few year old model for under $5000 no problem.

Finally, you could look at a the Polaris Hawekeye. Its only 2X4 so that may be a negative. But they were super cheap and were a really reliable. They had a 300cc carburated single and had enough power to get you around. They have since been replaced by the Trail boss and trial blazer 330 models that are better but were only built in the past few years so you may have trouble finding a used one. BUT... they only retail for $4400 brand new and a dealer may give you a better price. So, you COULD own a brand new ATV with a warranty for under $5000.

There are lots of other ATVs out there that will fit into your price range but IMO these are the best bang for your buck and they provide the best mix of handling, ride and power for the money.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

So is that a yamaha^^
    @ 1911kevin

RC Champion
    Yzf is a 4 stroke Yamaha

My dad and my father in law both have the sportsman 500 both are 2008+
    Every polaris we have owned me have had more issues than normal

RC Racer
    Yea, mines a yamaha. I like it but id reccomend the honda trx450r. Any race shop will tell you they'd rather work on a honda than a yammi. The yamahas are finicky and the 5 valve head is junk. The honda is a tried and trued design that can still win at the national level. One of the best atvs of all time for sure.

@ Pave..
    What about the Polaris scrambler?
    I know they discontinued the 500 with an 850
    But what if I just buy a 2012 500
    Or older?

Polaris's dont have any more issues per capita than any other brand (other than maybe Honda). There are certainly lemons out there... but that is true for any brand. If you want to trade ride and handling (and overall capability) for long term reliability... buy a honda. But the reality of having to ride a honda every day VS riding a polaris is, IMO, worth changing a ball joint or replacing a suspension bushing every now and again. The ATVs we have had that were the worst for general reliability and non user related problems are Arctic Cats. Ive had so many stupid things (some small, some REALLY big) go wrong in the first ride or two. Polaris and Yamaha are, IMO, very similar in general reliability. Most will say Yamahas are MORE reliable... but the fact is, there are fewer total Yamaha ATVs on the trails (every model combined) than JUST polaris Sportsman 500's alone... So your bound to see more problems with polaris's because there are SO many more of them out there.

The scrambler is a cool bike if you ride mostly smoother trails. But it has a solid axle rear suspension so it gets hung up way more often than the sportsman and doesnt ride as well. 2 summers ago we had a new Scrambler 500 and a new Sportsman 500... the sporstman rode and handled better and was faster... the only thing the scrambler had going for it was sportier styling. But even that was a negative, youd get totally coated with mud every time you hit a tiny puddle... the sportsman kept you dry and clean. The scrambler also cost more at retail. Its just a really outdated design that isnt better in any way than the sportsman models.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 03-30-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    Yea, mines a yamaha. I like it but id reccomend the honda trx450r. Any race shop will tell you they'd rather work on a honda than a yammi. The yamahas are finicky and the 5 valve head is junk. The honda is a tried and trued design that can still win at the national level. One of the best atvs of all time for sure.

Thanks man

RC Qualifier
    I've got a 2005 sportsman 400. It was built on the larger frame. I love it. Decent power and handles great!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Polaris's dont have any more issues per capita than any other brand (other than maybe Honda). There are certainly lemons out there... but that is true for any brand. If you want to trade ride and handling (and overall capability) for long term reliability... buy a honda. But the reality of having to ride a honda every day VS riding a polaris is, IMO, worth changing a ball joint or replacing a suspension bushing every now and again.

Yeah..
    I think Artic cat are all bad lemons though
    Yesturday we went out
    There was a guy having problems with his 4wd

RC Racer
    Thanks man
    Your welcome man. Idk if your like me but I just feel the need to have good equiptment under me, no matter what. My friends that have 400s always say they wish they had 450s. They just handle like a dream, stop on a dime, and have a ton of power. If you weren't all the way north of the border id say let's meet up for a ride! Lol

Your welcome man. Idk if your like me but I just feel the need to have good equiptment under me, no matter what. My friends that have 400s always say they wish they had 450s. They just handle like a dream, stop on a dime, and have a ton of power. If you weren't all the way north of the border id say let's meet up for a ride! Lol
    LOL that would be fun.
    I don't go out much but we did yesturday
    It was called "muddy friday"
    There were 4 can am renegades
    2 1000cc ones and two 800cc ones
    Then there was a Polaris ranger rzr 800 sport
    Our Can am outlander 500
    A can am outlander 800
    A Polaris sportsman 700 efi
    And two Artic cats
    There's more.. But I forget

Oh and HOW MANY KILOMETRES SHOULD THE ATV HAVE?

RC Racer
    Can-am renegades are beasts! I wouldn't trade the 450 for one but id love to have one. My friend that I mentioned in a previous post will be racing for can-am in the gncc series this season on a ds450. After he helped them win the baja 1000 they hooked him up with a factory ride. His practice tracks are awesome, and there're practicality in my back yard!

What you mean by how many kilometers? Like the odo on a car? Cause most atv don't have an odometer.

Any ATV with a gauge will have an odometer. Mileage on an ATV isnt AS important as condition and maintenance. If an ATV has been ridden on fire roads for 2000miles it would be more desireable than one that was ridden in swamps for 50miles. Maintenance is a big one though. An ATV thats ridden hard and put away wet will likely need work. But one that was washed/cleaned properly after each ride and has had regular maintenance will last longer, even if its a bit older or has a few more miles.

I think the most miles ive ever seen on an ATV that was still being ridden was 14 000... ive never seen anything higher. Im sure theyre out there, but ATVs just dont see the miles other vehicles do. I have a colleague who rides 10 000miles every winter on his snowmobile. But most people dont put more than 1000 miles on an ATV all year long.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I found a 2006 Polaris with 411 km on it
    Looks nice
    Has swamp lite tires
    He is asking 3500.00
    What do you guys think?

RC Racer
    Was it adult owned or maintained? From the sound of the atvs in your riding group your terrain is more suited to a 4x4. If you can take someone who has been riding and working on atvs for years with you to look at it. Inspect things like a arm bushing, wheels bearings, cv's, ect. Get someone to ride it who can really put it thru its paces to make sure everything is right and tight. Esp the clutches. These tips will apply to any used atv purchase.

Some of those things many sound small and you could just fix them, but it adds up fast. I just replaced every bushing and bearing, outside the motor on the 450. Re did the carb, new chain an sprockets. Ended up costing close to 1300 bucks. My point with that is be picky! You'll find something in great shape it just may take a while.

Well it's reallllly clean

RC Champion
    I agree with this, if I'm gonna buy something I'm not gonna cheap out. Get something that will be reliable. I have a 2005 honda recon es and it runs good but I want something more. I was too young at the time to have a say in what we got but its still fun from time to time.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    If you want something that is powerful and dependable then I would get a Honda. There aren't as sporty but they have power and they get you where you need to. I have a rancher 425 and it is plenty of fun. It has power and get me through whatever I point it at. I've even rolled it and have had no problems. I haven't kept up on maintainance and I have 1500+ miles on it and haven't had one problem. I know it's bad, I need to get regular maintainance done to it.

I have a neighbor who used to farm cows and he has tried every brand and he said he would only have an atv for a couple of weeks before it broke down but he uses Hondas now because they last. He puts around 80 miles a day on it. He said he got a honda to last almost two years where as others would last only weeks.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Racer
    I agree with you there. There's a reason why yamaha has a tuning fork in its logo. Lol

I found a 2006 Polaris with 411 km on it
    Looks nice
    Has swamp lite tires
    He is asking 3500.00
    What do you guys think?
    You should definitely ask to see/hear it run and ask if you can even just take it for a quick ride up and down a road. Take the airbox cover off and see what the filter looks like. if theres any dirt, mud inside the airbox you know its been submerged. Take a close look at the CV boots to see if they are ripped or have any signs of leaking. If you can, get the wheels off the ground and grab the tire, give it a good shake. if you can feel play in the suspension you know it needs bushings.

Another sign that its been used alot is if the handle bars have alot of play in them. If the front wheels are planted on the groun and the handle bars can be wiggled more than a little bit, the steering ball joints are worn. Thats a sign its got some miles on it.

Knowing what model would help to know if $3500 is a good deal or not. 2006 isnt that old and thats not alot of miles so if its a decent model, it may be a great buy.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You should definitely ask to see/hear it run and ask if you can even just take it for a quick ride up and down a road. Take the airbox cover off and see what the filter looks like. if theres any dirt, mud inside the airbox you know its been submerged. Take a close look at the CV boots to see if they are ripped or have any signs of leaking. If you can, get the wheels off the ground and grab the tire, give it a good shake. if you can feel play in the suspension you know it needs bushings.

Another sign that its been used alot is if the handle bars have alot of play in them. If the front wheels are planted on the groun and the handle bars can be wiggled more than a little bit, the steering ball joints are worn. Thats a sign its got some miles on it.

Knowing what model would help to know if $3500 is a good deal or not. 2006 isnt that old and thats not alot of miles so if its a decent model, it may be a great buy.
    It's a Hawkeye 300 4x4

I can't test drive it.. I just saw an advertisement for it

RC Champion
    It's a Hawkeye 300 4x4

I can't test drive it.. I just saw an advertisement for it
    Buying an ATV without testing it first is really huge risk IMO.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Another thing to consider is how big are you?
    I have the Polaris 500 sportsman and my wife has the Hawkeye 300 4x4
    I’m 6’2” and approx 210lbs, the Hawkeye 4x4 will bog down with me riding it in extreme mud conditions and doesn’t have much torque whereas it pulls her without much issue @ 125lbs and she can go almost anywhere I can on the 500. It only has forward/reverse with no hi/low range. My wife is 5”7” and I also had to add a 3 inch extension under the handle bars for her to feel comfortable on long rides. Nice riding 4 wheel independent suspension though.
    I would never buy a new or used quad without a test ride…
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    Buying an ATV without testing it first is really huge risk IMO.
    Yeah..
    Problem is I live 4 hours away from where it is

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Another thing to consider is how big are you?
    I have the Polaris 500 sportsman and my wife has the Hawkeye 300 4x4
    I’m 6’2” and approx 210lbs, the Hawkeye 4x4 will bog down with me riding it in extreme mud conditions and doesn’t have much torque whereas it pulls her without much issue @ 125lbs and she can go almost anywhere I can on the 500. It only has forward/reverse with no hi/low range. My wife is 5”7” and I also had to add a 3 inch extension under the handle bars for her to feel comfortable on long rides. Nice riding 4 wheel independent suspension though.
    I would never buy a new or used quad without a test ride…

I'm 5"11 and 126 lbs

RC Racer
    Your 14 and 5"11? You'll be tired of that 300 in less than a year. You definitely need somthing you can grow into.

Your 14 and 5"11? You'll be tired of that 300 in less than a year. You definitely need somthing you can grow into.

LOL Yess
    I'm the 2nd tallest in grade 8
    And almost 14 In two more months..

Okay then what do you suggest? A 500?
    400?..

At $3500 that hawk eye is over priced. They cost just over $4000 new and its over 6 years old. Not worth it.

If your 5.11 you should be looking at something in a full size chassis. Sportsman 400/500 would be your best choice.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ