Merv-Summit conversion. Step by step.

Today my Summit rockers came in. Mounted them and flipped the tranny gears to see how that worked with the MMP/4600.
    I found out I gotta check the shocks, because the ground clearance is still way from how I want it. Springs are pretty stiff, so those can't be the problem.
    I might have to replace the CVDs because they seem to prevent the suspension movement.

I did a short test drive to see what the car did speedwise. Annoyed about the jump start problem which this MMP still has, I went to the Castle site to see if there maybe was a new firmware version.
    FINALLY!! Version 1.39 has solved the problem!!
    • Bug fix: Output power could jump inappropriately when motor is having difficulty starting. Could result in ESC damage.
    • Bug Fix: Throttle glitch could cause excess stress on esc.

The weird jump start problem has gone. That made my day.
    Now wait for the wheels and tires and the rest to arrive in the mail.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post

I did a short test drive to see what the car did speedwise. Annoyed about the jump start problem which this MMP still has, I went to the Castle site to see if there maybe was a new firmware version.
    FINALLY!! Version 1.39 has solved the problem!!
    • Bug fix: Output power could jump inappropriately when motor is having difficulty starting. Could result in ESC damage.
    • Bug Fix: Throttle glitch could cause excess stress on esc.

The weird jump start problem has gone. That made my day.
    Now wait for the wheels and tires and the rest to arrive in the mail.
    Out of curiosity Peter, how long did your mmp have that weird jump start problem.
    Mines doing the same thing, I just noticed it the other night.
    So the v1.39 has Been working good?

Geared 16/50 with the tranny flip seems quite fast still for my daughters mini

All my MMPs have had it. The new firmware definately solved it.

sent from my Acer S500 using Tapatalk

Got the body, wheels and bumpers in the mail. Despite having it geared down to 55/23 (that is the smallest what I have left of the 48P gears), it's still way to fast to my taste. I'm going to fiddle a bit with the MMP settings today to see how much I can reduce the speed and try to figure out how small I can go with the pinion. If that doesn't work, I will probably look for a different combo with a way lower Kv rate in it.

Another thing to look at is the front suspension. It seems the stock mounting point is preventing it to stand a bit higher on it's feet. I have GTR shocks and GPM rockers. Maybe the rod ends on the shocks or the rockers need some filing.

My buddy bought a summit roller too, so I finally could compare a few things.
    Handy to know RPM arms and GPM rockers both decrease the amount of front suspension travel. Rear end is no problem.
    After filing the rockers so that the shock ends don't rub anymore and cutting the RPM arms a bit so they stop preventing the arms going down further, I can see the front end stands a bit higher.

I'm still waiting for the pinions to arrive to be able to do some crawling.

Out of curiosity I tried it on 3S and was amazed how it performed on a bit higher speed compared with the Merv. I love the warning of a lifiting wheel before it tips over. The Merv is less forgiving with that.

Since I am waiting ages for the 48P pinion set to arrive, I got a 16T from my buddy. Top speed is pretty low now, but since the very low gearing and the power in the combo combined with the new Castle firmware, I make a sort of jump starts every time.
    I will try to play with the settings of the MMP to decrease that. Punch control might be the one to change.

I'm considering to replace the RPM arms on the rear for Traxxas Summit arms. Since the dogbones are pretty close to the end of the cups when the suspension is all down, I'm still in doubt. Too much stories of popping drive shafts here.
    The reason for considering the stock arms is the weight distribution. For the same reason I am thinking of a different motor. That would be a 380 size can to lower the COG. Maybe I put the Velineon back in. Not sure yet.

RC Racer
    I think you should try the Velineon so you can compare the two (for my personal gain)! I just did the gear flip and I can crawl over things that I couldn't with the normal setup. I'm running the VXL with open diffs. There is some, not too much, cogging but crawling speed is there. No jump starts.
    Last edited by RcSummitVXL; 05-13-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Cogging is definately not on the list of problems to solve. So back to the stock combo is probably not going to happen.
    There is this guy who started a webshop who gives 15% discount on Leopard motors in a few days, so maybe I will get myself another 380 size Leopard motor but with a lower Kv rate this time.

RC Racer
    Oh, okay. Hope the Leopard motor works out. Here is a short video after i did the mod last night. I was able to get up this hill about 10 feet further now. With weights in the front and locked diffs I would be able to make it all the way. I dont have any rocks to climb nearby.

Last edited by RcSummitVXL; 05-14-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Funny video. Looks like an ant climbing up a sand hill.

Just finished replacing the rear RPM arms with stock Summit arms. I got the knuckles as snug as possible and the dogbone is at the end of the cup, but not that far that I am very worried. If the weather allows it, I will do some testing tomorrow.

Today it was real good weather for a drive, but sadly I had to be busy with upgrades inside the house (preparing for brushless heating and wallpaper swap).

RC Racer
    Home upgrades done yet?!? How does it run?

RC Racer
    Pete, you are doing a merv to summit conversion? I think I missed that. If so, I may have been giving you useless info.

Quote Originally Posted by RcSummitVXL View Post
    Pete, you are doing a merv to summit conversion? I think I missed that. If so, I may have been giving you useless info.
    Yeah, it's from Merv to Summit. I didn't notice any useless info, lol. And if it maybe useless for my, others might find it useful. No problemo!

After getting a bit bored with the low speeds, I did a tranny re-flip and connected the two 2S lipos, but in series this time.
    Together with my buddy with his bigger Summit we had some fun on some sand piles in front of our houses.
    The 4600 on 4S apparently had power enough to let the rear right CVD pop out it's cup, about half a minute after my buddy broke the same axle on his Summit.
    We officially declared today "Ruin your rear right shaft-Day". Time to put the series connector on a spot where can't find it anymore...

RC poster
    With all this talk about modifications needed to make my Summit reliable. I'm still none the wiser & have put mine back into the box! At least I got another run with the 1/16 E-Revo VXL yesterday before its sold. Why is it they got that one pretty much bulletproof & couldn't do the same with the Summit?

I don't see why the E-Revo would be more bullit proof than the Summit. I think the Summit drive shafts might be a little less reliable than the Merv ones, but stuff like the steering and bulkhead/diffs are 100% the same and that is where most problems start.
    I think that with a stock motor/ESC combo that drive shaft never would have popped out.