RC Qualifier

clicking sound when accelerating from a stop

My sons summit has a clicking sound when accelerating from a stop. I'm guessing he blew the back diff, can anyone confirm and confirm the parts I need to change? Would like to get them tomorrow and get him running again.

It seems to be lifting the front wheel under heavy accel along with the clicking if that helps.

I knew all his backflips and driving in circles were going to break something. Kids, what are you going to do?

http://www.rcboca.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=shim It seems my hobby store doesn't have the associated shims mentioned for shimming the diff, will any of the shims on this page work?

TRA7079, I'm guessing this is likely the part that would break, not the internal gears?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Ring and pinion usually on these guys.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Ring and pinion usually on these guys.
    Yea, I got it, no Shims though since they don't have the associated.

I'd find some from somewhere before I ran it too hard...

RC Qualifier
    no one has the 8x10mm shims in stock, will have to wait for a bit.

I tested it today and when I brake, the truck is flipping end over end, it didn't do that before so not sure if something is up.

Clicking noise is gone but still something feels wrong with it. With the front, its lifting the front wheel up, I don't remember it doing this before. When I spin the front wheels, they seem to spin fine although they don't spin as free as the rear wheels though. But I did grease the rear diff and the front has whatever weight oil from the factory.

Still it just doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

If you rebuilt the rear it probably has more oil and of a heavier viscosity than stock, giving it better traction.

As far as the "freeness" of the front... only way to check for sure it to tear it down.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    If you rebuilt the rear it probably has more oil and of a heavier viscosity than stock, giving it better traction.

As far as the "freeness" of the front... only way to check for sure it to tear it down.
    rear is just grease now. I didn't realize when doing it that I wouldn't have positraction. Really need that. Is 50K oil good front and rear? I want to have diff action but want power to the wheel still on the ground when one wheel loses traction like in a real car. We drive over the large roots of the trees in front of the house and today I watched the truck many times lose traction on the front or the rear or both at the same time, one wheel just spinning so I want to tighen it up when I pull it apart.

30k is stock and I am pretty happy with it...
    be sure not to compare function to stock though as the diffs are not as full as they should be most of the time.