Thread: Long antenna?

RC poster

Long antenna?

So I just bought an e revo vxl 1/16 brushless. Its 2.4GHz. So shouldn't I have a short antenna or am I getting that wrong? I opened the box up and seen this ugly antenna hanging there. I thought the new ones had the shorty?

Of course my first post is in the wrong section. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Dean23; 03-28-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Wrong section

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    2.4ghz only need to stand about 2 to 3 inches, cut the antenna TUBE long enough to stay inside the body and keep the rest for later use.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC poster
    Ok. Thanks. But I just don't understand why it has a long one. All the 2.4ghz come with short factory antennas I thought. Did I get an old left over model? It says 2.4ghz on the controller and the box.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    as long as your transmitter say 2.4ghz chances are your reciever also 2.4ghz, your good. dont know why they include a long tube though, all i can say is to cut the tube to lenght.
    heres mine,
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC poster
    i left mine long bent it over and tucked the end in the cross brace of the front body tower. heated the blue antenna tube so when it cooled it keeps the curve and is safely out of the way under the body. doesn't take much heat. be wary!

RC Racer
    What do you do with the excess wire? Do you cut it?

RC poster
    my antenna wire was the same length as the blue tube.

NEVER cut your antenna. It WILL reduce range.
    Extra wire should be coiled up and stored in the Rx box. Ideally, the wire should be extended straight up for maximum performance.

If your antenna is the full length of the long antenna tube you probably have the AM radio.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    2.4 tqi transmitter

RC Enthusiast
    Cut the blue tube long enough to keep it in side the body, and feed it through and put the black tip on to keep the wire from slipping back through, extra wire, feed it back into the water proof box or just coil in somewhere out of the way. reason some 2.4ghz is long is so it can reach the mounting positions for the tube away from the receiver. Don't cut the wire, just shove the extra in the water proof box, simple.

RC poster
    Did the same thing with my 1/16 summit. Extra wire is stored in the box

RC Enthusiast
    If you get a LCG like I did, tho its a hassle to change the battery, I like the longer Antenna for this reason in this pic. The receiver box is right behind the ESC on the top plate and the wire goes out to the bottom, you can see the Antenna tubing. This Chassis is a pain but worth it, tho it isn't really a LCG chassie lol.