Thread: Rock Crawling

RC Competitor

Rock Crawling

Im looking to make my summit into more of a rock crawler. So far , i have did a transmission flip , and got the part to lock my diffs . Im also getting crawler tires . I want to replace the esc and motor with a brushed motor , but im not sure with what motor or mounts or ecs. Any suggestions ?

RC poster
    No u should not Kyle

RC Champion
    I would sugget a Mamba Max Pro (MMP). it is small, but powerful, can handle up to 6s , can run brushless/ sensored/ and brushed motors, and has crawler truck settings (drag brake, expo acceleration etc). They can be had used for around $70.

option #2 Holmes Hobbies BRXL - but its only brushed
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Great suggestion on the MMP.
    The stock Titan is all I know of for the motor... but I am sure the scale crawler scene has lots more ideas on that.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I sold my VXL motor and esc along with the motor mount and plate. I bought the motor plate and motor mount from the bruched Rally and fitted a normal brushed esc and got a 50t motor. Also did the tranny flip. It all bolted straight in and been running for a few months like it now. Mine started life as a merv VXL so has had a bit of a transformation into what it is now and a set of weighted Fastrax snakes that have had every other tread block cut out.

" TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

I am going to try a 1S battery on my MMP/4600 combo. Probably won't work very well.
    I don't think crawling will ask too much power from your combo, so in the end I will probably get a lower Kv brushless motor. Leopard makes a great number of 28mm can motors with the same length as the Velineon, but sadly those only come with 4mm shafts.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Racer
    keep me posted i need info on doing the same to my mini summit. diff oil/i have weighted tires/motor esc/ gearing/trans/ we can work together and get the mini summit to what it should be. pm me and ill give u my email. good luck
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I don't think crawling will ask too much power.
    I agree, just like a real truck, gearing does the torque multiplacation
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    I agree, just like a real truck, gearing does the torque multiplacation
    I am using a 2s 2200mah lipo in my crawler set up and it lasts just over 2 hours total. I can get nearly 2/4 hour out of the stock nimh.

I went all the way up to 500,000wt for the diff and it still wouldnt craw so Traxxas diff lockers went int he rea and blue tack in the front. The slight give in the blue tack still allows a little slip in the front to assist with steering and the shafts dont pop apart.
    Last edited by murdermaxx; 04-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

RC Racer
    what is blue tack? do u have a pic of said tack? and if i put the diff locker in the front and rear what then?
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC poster
    So if i wanted to convert to a brushed motor such as the Titan 12T motor would I have to get a new ESC? I use this for slow speed trail driving and do not really want to get a different waterproof ESC. Thanks!

If you currently have a brushless Traxxas ESC and you want to run a brushed motor you will need a different ESC.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...otor-and-servo

RC poster
    Do yourself a favour & forget about using any Summit for crawling. Even the big Summit was really limited in its abilities. Only reason I know this is because I've got a brushless Axial Scorpion & can see the difference. Even a stock AX10 will put the summit to shame & are reasonably priced. It's the upgrades that makes them expensive.
    Last edited by madparaplegic; 06-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Murdermaxx...that is a sweet summit man ...love it...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO