Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

E Revo just exploded

I am a new rc owner bought a used e revo of ebay that came with some lipo batteries

I plugged 2 in with the parallel connector and was trying to set the esc to lip mode when all of a sudden smoke started coming out and the battery exploded and caught on fire

I have no idea why it happened and is quite dangerous for kids to use as well

Any ideas on why this has occured

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the battery was probably damaged
    is the car ok was it limited to the batteries?
    used lipo batteries are never a good idea .they could of been dropped or overcharged
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.

RC Champion
    The batterys we're used? They might have been severely puffed.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Lipo batteries are a whole subject unto themselves...you need to read up on proper (and safe) use and handling of them before you just dive in. It's easy to damage or outright destroy them if you don't know what your doing and they can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

From what you said it sounds like a dead short happened somewhere. Was it all from the battery or did the esc smoke any?
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How bad is it?
    Contact the seller and if he isn't cooperative open a dispute on paypal

RC Enthusiast
    well the batteries appeared to be fine, the battery on the right side is totally messed up and the compartment for the battery is totally melted
    the left side battery is bulging and was pretty hot so i put it outside

the smoke was coming from the battery compartments nothing from the esc but after the fire the wires from the esc to the small little box are stripped so i will have to insulate them

the battery connector is also melted a bit so will have to resolder another although now i cant use 2 batteries

however i am trying to figure out why it even happened, was it because the rc was in nimh mode and not in lipo or were the lipos charged too much

i am an adult and sensed something was wrong and got away just in time although my jacket is burnt, had i been a kid i would probably be dead right now though or at least pretty disfigured

Edited for bypassing the language filter. Please do not use acronyms that, when spelled out in their entirety, would contain words that are blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.

RC Champion
    Nimh mode has nothing to do with it. All that would do is not regulate the voltage of each cell. I would contact the seller because he must have known something about the battery's. Also you can get a new chassis for about $20 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item1c2ef81bf9
    Last edited by Fr8cture; 03-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Enthusiast
    i understand, im just trying to figure out if i personally did something wrong so it wont happen again

thanks for the chassis link, but i will need to test the electronics to ensure it is still working although i suspect it is just the wires got damaged from the fire

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    somehow the batts shorted, make sure the connectors on the esc are soldered properly, and the wires +/- matches with the connector.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And it should be a series connector not a parallel connector

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Could you maybe post a picture of the wires and adapters? Assuming they aren't brutally destroyed, we might be able to tell if it was soldered backwards or something.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Enthusiast
    i will get those soon, i mean the car did work i pressed the accelerate button but i didnt use it cause i wanted to switch to lip mode

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    From the description, how the lipo batts reacted, it would take a short. Im no expert but running the trucks every week, you see some "stuff" happen. Sounds like a cross/short. +/- hit and held somewhere in the system. Did you have to really squeeze the batteries in there? Did the batteries have a tight brick shape? Or were they puffy pillow-y and or soft, squishy? If it was a hard case exterior battery, did it appear that it was being pushed open at the seems? Did it rattle around inside its hard case? (I know... doubt its a hard case in a revo) just concerned about some possibilities of a seller shipping crap lipo (not that is was, im not assuming) and who, (if) it came in puffed
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    no i dont even think the battery connector allows it to be put in reverse or at least it wouldou be very hard
    everything went in fine without issue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230945462897...84.m1439.l2649

that was my guess it is a 1/16....^

plugged 2 in with the parallel connector

that is a series connector....not parallel

edit this is the 1/8 scale.....
    Last edited by 87 GN; 03-28-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Therefore duratrax lipo on top is puffed pretty good. Do you have any other pix, the duratrax 1300 lipo and 2 in one connector?

So, all my experience with more than 3s was with my Castle equipped merv. What would happen when you plugged 6s into a mini vxl? I know it'll most likely burn up internally but could it cause this havoc ....?...ya, I guess, if it crossed -/+ internally (esc) it could quickly cook sown the line (battery). So can the esc go up from pulling the trigger on 6s? I know its limits are clearly stated in the manual. Ouch, possibly, didn't get familiar with the product? (No insult or "tone" intended)
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Champion
    Oh it's a 1/16th? Your in the wrong sub forum. :/
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    that was my guess it is a 1/16....^

plugged 2 in with the parallel connector

edit this is the 1/8 scale.....
    the cable in the ebay ad is a parallel cable.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Was it the duratrax or spc that fried?
    How did you charge the batteries?
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    thats the listing i bought it from i dont have any pics just yet

it was the duratrax

i didnt charge them yet, i wanted to test the rc so after unpacking it i put them in and then boom

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    No it isn't. Series connector makes a triangle. Parallel makes a V. That is a parallel connector.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I think the seller is kinda responsible since he sold that battery with it knowing that its done for. You never know who's buying it. Someone that knows little about lipos buys it and boom. (Not saying your inexperienced)
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Says right on the tag parallel connector
    So did he rewire it as a 2s. He said it works great as a 2s and did you run it in parallel with the other duratrax being a 3s? That would do it right there. Can't mix 2s and 3s with a parallel connector!

ooops didn't look close enough........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

you know when i read the title i thought: Pop goes the Revo!!! lol i know kinda hard sorry but had to put that out there.

I think it was the lipos and perhaps the wires were not soldered right a little loose and they touched. maybe the tabs in one of the connectors was put in wrong like the wrong side!
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you read my last post mike!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    No it isn't. Series connector makes a triangle. Parallel makes a V. That is a parallel connector.
    This doesn't look like the one in the ad, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    So did he rewire it as a 2s. He said it works great as a 2s and did you run it in parallel with the other duratrax being a 3s? That would do it right there. Can't mix 2s and 3s with a parallel connector!
    I didn't read the tag, but ya, says so on it. I just looked at the wires.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's because that's a series connector

Did you read my last post mike!
    yup read it, i was saying like neg-into-positive type thing. still pop goes the revo though either way.

i always use a low voltage nimh something that i dont care gets damaged really or even my nicd pack to test any system i get used and before i plug anything in i make sure the wires are matching and everything of that sort is good before i plug anything and power it up. just me i guess never like getting shocked or burnt if i didnt need to.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

This doesn't look like the one in the ad, does it?

I didn't read the tag, but ya, says so on it. I just looked at the wires.
    Look at the wires in the seventh photo of the ad. It is not the same as the photo you posted.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    The one on the add us a parell conector

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
    thats the listing i bought it from i dont have any pics just yet

it was the duratrax

i didnt charge them yet, i wanted to test the rc so after unpacking it i put them in and then boom
    I was thinking the same thing. If you plug a 3s 11.1v lipo into a 2s 7.4v lipo with a parallel connector the voltage levels between the 2 lipos would try to level out. That would probably translate into a severely overcharged 2s lipo as the 2 packs tried to equalize their voltages.

Whenever you get a new lipo the first thing you should do is check for physical damage and check the wiring. The next thing you should do is check the voltage of each cell. If something isn't right then you need to contact the seller. In this case the seller put the info in the description but the suspect lipo doesn't appear like it is marked as a 2 cell though.

It's good that nobody got hurt. That is the good news.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Look at the wires in the seventh photo of the ad. It is not the same as the photo you posted.
    I think you quoted the wrong person in your first post. Zepher's original post correctly identifyed the connector in the ad as a parallel connector (the post you quoted):
    Perhaps you meant to quote 87 GN? He later admitted that he incorrectly identified the connector as a series connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN
    ooops didn't look close enough........
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If the Onyx 3S was hooked in parallel with the SPC 2S, that is not the fault of the seller... that would be user error.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you charge the batteries with a balanced charger, before connecting them to the car?

LiPo in parallel HAS to be at almost the same voltage or else the battery with the highest voltage, will begin charging the other battery.

If you connect a discharged and a charged battery in parallel, it's almost as bad as shorting the battery out, which will cause what happened.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i think the problem was the modified onyx 3s that the seller states as "runs good as a 2s" because one cell was puffed. the seller should of tossed that pack. if he ran them together in parallel as a 2s and a 3s a fire would happen!
    -Duratrax ONYX 3s 11.1V 25c 1300 MAH (2) one pack is slightly puffed due to one of the three cells being completely drained. The pack still works
    perfectly fine as a 2s pack. I have used this pack more than any of the others and it works flawlessly
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-29-2013 at 10:11 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    so you cant use 3s and 2s in parallel and you also cant use batteries that are not the same amount of charge in parallel

i did not use the spc i used both the duratrax batteries

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that is correct!. either way i would contact the seller
    some good info http://robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-29-2013 at 10:41 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
    so you cant use 3s and 2s in parallel and you also cant use batteries that are not the same amount of charge in parallel

i did not use the spc i used both the duratrax batteries
    That is correct. Let's say your 2s pack is at 7.4 volts and your 3s pack is at 11.1 volts. If you plug them together in parallel the voltage will try to equalize. So if we take 11.1v - 7.4v = 3.7v / 2 packs = 1.85v. If we add 1.85v to your 7.4v 2s pack that is 9.25 volts forced in a 2s pack that is supposed to be fully charged at 8.4 volts.

You also want them around the same voltage because there would be a sudden surge of current when you first connect them together. When I parallel charge my lipos I make sure all the cells are about the same voltage before I plug them together.