RC poster

Up date on the Marine 90wt oil for my shocks

Ok, in my last post I was looking for opinions on if I should use marine 90wt oil in my shocks... What I really had actually wanted to know is if that kind of oil would be ok or if it would be a bad idea to use in a persons shocks. I never did get a answer on that and every one that posted said that the problems i was having was do to shock springs and to change to a heavier rate. I tried changing the shock springs to solid black strip 2.22 rate in the front and solid pink 2.77 rate, I also changed the stock oil to the marine 90wt oil and there was a HUGE reduction in the amount of chassis sway, bottoming out on jumps, traction role.

I heard that using such heavy weight oil in shocks would blow out the plastic bottom of the shocks.

RC Enthusiast
    You will eventually have a blow-out, if you make many jumps where the car bottoms out.
    But wait till it's a problem to upgrade the shocks, if you are happy with the way it drives now.

...unless you are a tinker freak like me

RC poster
    hmm maybe, but now that I think about it basic physics say that the heavy shock springs would reduce the about of pressure building up inside the shocks from the high viscosity oil when landing jumps, because the springs would absorb the shock of landing...

I dont really see an issue with 90 weight oil I do see a POSSIBLE issue with the type of oil though. I am not sure what exactly "Marine" oil has in it but it may have additives or detergents that will harm the seals in the shocks over time. I would suggest getting 90 weight silicone shock oil, then you know your seals and o-rings will be safe.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Marine stands for boats and other water crafts... The oil is used as a lube in boat motor drives that turn the propeller to push the boat forward through the water... The oil is made by Pennzoil...

Quote Originally Posted by It's Ok I Has E-Revo View Post
    Marine stands for boats and other water crafts... The oil is used as a lube in boat motor drives that turn the propeller to push the boat forward through the water... The oil is made by Pennzoil...
    I realize that Marine oil is for boast that kinda goes without saying. I am unsure of what additives they use in it. The problem with using anything other than silicone shock oil is the additives MAY be harmful to the seals and o-rings.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Ok I Has E-Revo View Post
    because the springs would absorb the shock of landing...
    The problem is not the compression of the shocks, but the expansion coming afterwards.
    The combination of stiffer springs and heavy oil, makes the bottom pop out, as the oil is too stiff to pass through the hole in the piston, as fast as the springs tries to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I dont really see an issue with 90 weight oil I do see a POSSIBLE issue with the type of oil though. I am not sure what exactly "Marine" oil has in it but it may have additives or detergents that will harm the seals in the shocks over time. I would suggest getting 90 weight silicone shock oil, then you know your seals and o-rings will be safe.
    I agree. Further, the price of proper shock oil is nominal, so why not use the proper oil for the application?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    anything petroleum based will cause rubber to swell and soften. viscosity wont stay predictable like silicone can either.
    MERV - 3S 23/50

RC poster
    The stuff is thicker than toothpaste, why use it? I have found that shock oil....

Sorry, shock oil is where I stopped. It is called shock oil, for use in, well... SHOCKS!

Marine grease is more expensive, less appropriate for the application, and you might as well just fill the shock with rubber.

For 3-4 bucks you can stay out of the tool shed and do it right!