RC Enthusiast

Center Diff Installation Question

One of the last steps in the center diff installation is putting the slipper clutch nut back on and making sure the spur gear still spins slightly when the other end is held still...unfortunately my spur gear will not move at all even if i loosen the nut up completely. My question, is the spur gear SUPPOSED to be able to move when the center diff is installed? Just wondering if I installed something wrong (not sure how that would be possible, but you never know with me, )

TIA!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, the spur has to be able to move in order for power to be transferred to the wheels through the transmission.

Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry, I might have been a little confusing Jimmie...the spur gear does move freely EXCEPT for when i keep the other side (the piece i have circled in puke green) from moving. Apparently you are supposed to be able to keep that from moving but the spur gear will still move but with resistance. Make a little more sense now?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, the spur is supposed to be able to move with the shaft locked. The spur is not bolted to the shaft... it is pinched in place by the slipper. If you could not move the spur the slipper would be too tight.

And once you have that shaft locked, the center diff or spool is taken completely out of the equation.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, thanks Jimmie! Guess its time to tear it down and start over,