RC Competitor

different servos

ive been wanting to change the servos in my truck. Been looking into the hitec water proof servos. Which ones should i get want. Wanna upgrade all them sick of the traxxas ones

RC Qualifier
    I like the hitec 7950 that I recently just got for my revo and summit. not waterproof, but I've heard that it is pretty water resistant with a lot of o-rings inside to keep stuff out. You can always waterproof yourself, but I have dusty motor bags to keep things dry anyway, so I'm not to worried about it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jer rock View Post
    ive been wanting to change the servos in my truck. Been looking into the hitec water proof servos. Which ones should i get want. Wanna upgrade all them sick of the traxxas ones
    I have looked into the water proof servo as well and on further inspection I realised that the dimensions are a few millimetres larger than the stock traxxas servos so I believe the waterproof servo wouldn't fit without mods.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Qualifier
    You know, you don't need to buy a waterproof servo, you can waterproof it yourself. This does void the warranty though, so make sure it's working well before you waterproof it. Here's a video showing how to do it:

When I bought a new servo myself, I didn't waterproof it... However, I've been running in both snow and water, haven't had any problems yet.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    I have fried a 7950 but hitec readily replaced it. tough to beat a servo that good with customer service right on par.

RC Racer
    i run a radio post high torq servo. and after talking to there.customer service, they said it was water proof if you seal where the wire go in with silcone. they made the servo so you can coil the extra wires in the case. i run it on a cc bec @ 6 volts. they say 333oz and 419 @7.4. turns my tire realy well and does not get hot. smaller then stock and waaaay smooth. dont have much to compair.to but my saxoxs. and i have only had it a month or so i dont know long term. but its quite, smooth and tuff. $120. so it better be
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Racer
    and i real like when the tires are stuck and you leave it sit for 10-15 sec it will stop tryn to ceneter itself. killed a few servos that way. just alil off stright and it cooks itself
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Competitor
    Sweet thanks for the info guys. I just got the regular 2065 servo just to tie me over missed not having the diff lock. Im leaning toward the servos with metal gears, did traxxas have a metal gear upgrade for theirs?

RC Competitor
    I'm running the hitec 7980 servos for front and rear steering duties and a HS 5065mg digital micro servo for my shifting. Yes, the 7980 is bigger than a standard servo, but once you open the holes in the servo mounting tabs they bolt right in and they have perfect fit into the opening of the chassis. They do suck massive amounts of power and you WILL need a BEC to run even just one of them. I recommend buying the HPP-21 hitec servo programmer (bought mine off of Ebay for $25.00) which will allow you to tailor them to your needs.

RC Competitor
    I just installed a Hitec 7950; I had to turn down the music as I thought the ballast in the fluorescent light was humming. It was my Hitec, head lights seem to flash when turning which can be a sign of a bad servo.
    The humming eventually went away to be replaced with cracking sound at idle, even with the summit upside down. Check it again for steering movement and it seems free.
    Will give it a run to see if it becomes an issue.

The hitec's can be noisy.the lights dimming could be its drawing more than the internal bec wants to supply.so a bec may Be needed at some point

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    The light dimming does sound like a BEC issue. My servo (Solar D772) also makes a humming noise, so that's normal. I'm not sure the cracking sound though, can you make a video or something so we can hear/see it?
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    Seems the noise is from the servo aligning itself, but having the summit upside down, at times was still making that noise.
    I am going to install a BEC, this will give me more torque from the 7950. Will update once that job is done.

summitsin victoria

RC Competitor
    Update on The bec;
    I have ran the summit on a gnarly Billy goat trail, very cool. I find swinging those oem tires back and forth actually helps getting over difficult obstacles in which the OEM dual servos just didnít have enough torque.
    Thumbs up for Hitec 7950 & Jamann for the harness build!