RC poster

Wink New to me Summits and New Problems

2 Summits, 2.4 radio, stock everything.

I getting back on the RC horse after quiet sometime now. Anyways I picked up some used summits the other day and going through all the problems the previous owner failed to mention. So here is the problem I'm having with these trucks.

After messing around the yard I've noticed the front diff seems to be locked. Took it up a tree and the front was indeed locked in while the reciever was in the unlock position. So I held it up and tried to spin the wheels and I hear a clicking noise like it's trying to engage or disengage. The left front will spin semi freely but the right will spin a quartor of a turn and bind the entire system like it's locked in. Driving it around you can hear it clicking. No problems with the rear locking or unlocking.

The other summit didnt have this problem until yesterday but now it's starting to do the same...

Is the locker out of adjustment or is there something more serious going on in there and I'd be better off looking for a new diff on the internet?

Like I said i'm fairly new to all this and RCs have come a long way since I last messed with them. I've never broken apart a differential and kind of worried I won't be able to put it back in specs.

Thanks for all the help and advice,

Nate

RC Competitor
    The clicking noise sounds like you have broken spider gears or something like that, I have had to replace my a few times now. You will probably have to pull it apart to make sure, a little intimidating at first if you haven't done one but you'll soon realize it not that bad of a job but a little time consuming. Good luck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The manual, exploded views, and such are available here:
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...mmit-downloads

I agree that the front diff is probably in need of attention, but I would also check to see if the front locker servo is actuating or not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Yeah the servo is working. I didn't know if it was engaging far enough or not causing the clicking sound. Well darn, how much money could it end up being if the parts are broken as stated above or would I be better off buying a whole unit on ebay? I came across a couple going for 30 bucks or so.

Since I will be in there anyways. What do y'all recommend I go ahead and replace as a prevenitive measures. I know the guy ran these out on the beech as there was still some sand around tight areas when I bought them.

Where do you guys buy your parts from? There are so many places online and my local hobbytown seem to be high on their parts.

RC poster
    Well all my servos work except the high low tranny shifter on one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There are pictures of a fully engaged and disengaged diff servo in the manual.

If it is just the guts of the diff cup, $12ish.

I would clean everything... refill the diff cups with 100K and lube up the other moving parts with a dry lube. Double check for bearing play and replace if needed.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Thats exactly why i quit buying used.. last used i bought the owner failed to tell me it had 2 blown diffs, bent drive shafts. Pretty much everything i could not see was bad cost me $200 in repairs. That was also on a HPI truck and parts for them are not cheep.

If you rebuild your diffs replace the pinion berings they are famous for blowing out

jonesdallas
    One more thought... I have accidently re-assembled a diff with the t lock gear locked into place, but assembled the swiveling c lock on the outside of the locked gear.

This forces a constant locked diff regardless of what position the lock switch is at(locked or open).

Best thing to do is rip it open.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Thats exactly why i quit buying used.. last used i bought the owner failed to tell me it had 2 blown diffs, bent drive shafts. Pretty much everything i could not see was bad cost me $200 in repairs. That was also on a HPI truck and parts for them are not cheep.

If you rebuild your diffs replace the pinion berings they are famous for blowing out
    The worst is a barely used RC with zero scratches top to bottom EXCEPT the one or two runs were done in water and every bearing is about to seize, hosed off looking brand new I would avoid Summits from the snow belt at all cost