RC Qualifier

New Summit 2 Build

Thought I would give a little preview of things to come and what I have so far. Am expecting a big order of parts on Wens & Thurs which should get the ball really rolling. But for now here are some pics.
    This truck will have a 8 channel single Rx and radio to control it which Jimmie is in the process of building it for me. Not that good with that kind of stuff and not willing to take the time to learn so turned to the best. IMO. ESC will be a MM2 which will be here Wens.
    Truck will also have all wheel steering. Sense my first summit ended up topping the scales @ 14.8 lbs will attempt to keep this one as light as possible. Also trying some new things like dyeing anything that is blue black or painting blue aluminum black.

Wheels are Mickey Thompson Bead Locks with Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 40 Series, which can be gotten threw RC4WD if anyone is interested and Wheels are $199 for the set.

Shocks with Double orange springs painted black and then lightly coated with clear spray on liquid tap, hopefully for some added protection for the paint.

This shows what I have done so far to the chassis that is dyed black. Dewalt 14.4 is painted as are all the supporting brackets. Tried dying the small servo cases and not sure how that is going to work out either.
    But as you can see if it is not black, will do what it takes to make it black. Also will be dying all boots on the suspension black and if it can't be taken apart will try painting the dye on or use a magic marker.

Last edited by Edstoys; 03-26-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    those tires look really cool, what weight are you shooting for.

you should paint up a black summit body to go with the rest of the black!
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

I'm liking it so far.the Mickey t's have interested me for some time looking good

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Love the tires.

RC Qualifier
    That is a great looking set of Mickey Thompsons. They should look great with your black theme.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Guys Guess I should have left the pics of the wheels/tires off and seen what kind of reaction would have been given then

Doing every black the way I'm going to try and do beside try and build a much simpler truck than my last build, was don't remember ever seeing it done or no one was willing to take the time do dye some things I will be doing such as the all the dust boots. Trying to make all the aluminum parts that will be used ST Racing Concepts, already have two of their servo savers and am really impressed with them as there is no wobble or moment on the arm (should help a lot with the tires being used), they also do not use the little spacers between the top and bottom, they are machined with the top.
    Forgot to mention the steering servo's being used are Hitec 7950's that have been water proofed.

Thanks and will try and keep you updated as I progress.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Looking good!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Really liking the black chassis. I'm thinking I may have to give that a try when I dye my next set of wheels. Keep us posted on how the Mickey T's work. I'm looking for a good crawler tire and the MT's caught my eye.

RC Qualifier
    Forgot something and had to take the transmission apart to do the shifting mod. Did the same thing that is holding on my first Summit build. Used J-B Weld Steelstik. Its like a putty, cut a slice off and then mix it until you get an even color and then try to get what you are doing done before it dries, which I almost did do LOL. Anyway here are a couple of pics of it also put a real light coat of LG over it to help with roughness.

Not a real good pic, but is the front

Back

Now to get the tranny put back in one piece and will be using Ceramic bearings, should make for a smooth transmission.
    Had these left over and rest of truck will be done with Boca Green seal bearings.

RC Champion
    What is the shifting mod? Does it fix low gear popping out of gear? My original summit Trans did that, everything looked great inside, but low gear would either not engage or pop out of gear.
    I ended up buying another Trans and converting the old one to a single speed for my yellow erevo build.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

The shifting mod eliminates the slop in the drive train

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    i cant wait to see what those tires and rims look like mounted!

RC Qualifier
    Stay tuned about got the chassis done enough that will be able to post pics with wheels on Can see it now; only comments will be on how shape the tires/wheels look.

RC Qualifier
    Well this is where it sits as of this morning. Few things left, solder the MM2 wires to the motor, and battery ends on the feed, couple of other things then will have to wait for the radio. Right now contemplating not even putting lights on it. But will decide on that late I guess....what do you all think about that?
    Anyway here are some pics.

Still trying to figure out where to put the on/off switch for the MM2.

Box for the Rx

No blue dust boots

And finally! Not that great a pic of them but will have to do for now. Body is not what will be used, have a Parma pickup body that fits great, which still needs to be painted.

Not sure how its going to work, but with the wire sleeves that are on the wires that need to be soldered, what I did was heat shrink the opposite end and push way down and put a cable tie on it then solder the connectors/brushes on then cut the cable tie and move the heat shrink (which is already on) and then shrink the heat shrink to hold that end in place and keep it from raveling all over the place. In theory it should work, but guess we shall see when I go to solder the ends on later.
    Also all screws are SS (Stainless Steel)
    Last edited by Edstoys; 03-30-2013 at 08:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Made a statement in my previous post about not being sure if soldering the ends on with the wire shield in place would work or not. Well it did and have pics of how I did it, in case anyone else would like to do it.

After putting the wire shield on and heat shrinking the opposite end down good and have the one for the other end on already you push the wire shield back as far as possible and then wire tie it.

Wire soldered to a Dewalt brush, very helpful if you use some kind of heat sink like alligator clips.

You then cut the wire tie and work the shield back down to where you want it and shrink the heat shrink LOL
    Will end up looking like this

Brush installed back into the Dewalt.

Sorry not very good at this, and probably not explained very well but hope you get the idea and if any question ask away.

RC Champion
    Since your going to go DeWalt here's some info regarding swapping in bearings for the bushings
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...g-problem.html

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Noir, I looked into doing that on my own with my other Summit which also has a Dewalt in it and could not find a way to get the end cap off. Got in tips in that department? Thanks for the link

RC Champion
    Love the wire loom Eds! Looks fantastic!

RC Qualifier
    That is some fine wire work Ed.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    I absolutely LOVE the clean wiring.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Update, Chassis build is complete and about to test the radio system to make sure everything works before painting Parma 1/8 body. Axle covers for the wheels are not on yet also due to still have to find tune the steering and such after it runs.
    But this is how it sits right now. Debating about the rear steering or not and as of now it is not installed, but there is room for it. Also not sure I will be putting any lights on it either, if I do will only one set of headlights and tail lights.

Proline front and rear bumpers

All exposed wiring or what I could do is covered with wire loom, keeps it nice and net plus keeps everything black LOL
    Re Did the Dewalt, buffed it up good then soaked in Corrosion X for 24 hrs and then let drain and dry same was done with the Hitec servo.

Receiver box holds a 8 channel Flysky and same for the Tx, Hacked by Jimmie at a cost of corse LOL

MM2, going to take the fan off of it and shock it in Corrosion X as well. Hopefully this will give me a completely water proof Summit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I like that Rx box!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    ^^^^ i wonder why lol
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    What's inside the box is what Jimmie got and hacked for me, I got the box myself and mounted it as well as running all the wires

I like it all blacked out.looks good

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Could I possibly get a link to the tires you have? Thanks!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jimmy1971! Might have to upgrade my Summit in the next year and a half or so if I make enough. Being only 15 I can still make money, but not too much. Depending on what I make I will save a little more than half, and then use the rest for RC Modifications.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit