RC Champion

Lightbulb Thinking about going for the fastest stock motor XO-1 speed record...

Alright guys, I've been in contact with a friend of mine discussing this whole speed record deal with the XO-1. I have the XL2 ESC, but still have the stock motor. I'm thinking about trying to set the bar as far as the fastest speed with the stock motor. What do you guys think? MPH predictions? Will the stock motor hold up?

It's still too cold out for serious runs, so I'm in the brainstorming phase right now. I ordered a part tonight that I will customize to hopefully either hold a speed record or fry the motor, ESC or both.
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i wish you the best of luck man, i mean it in the good way too you and seiravmaxx should do it together, i'd like to see what a 2200 can do with his 360mm XO-1.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    If he'd wanna help me out, that'd be great. It's still a little ways out before I start with this due mainly to the weather, but the car is ready for initial runs. And thanks for the wishes!
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    You're limited by 8S (XL2) & gearing. I think you'd be surpised what you might get out of that set up...it would be fragile but it would go!

RC Qualifier
    I still use the stock motor. Works great. The problem with most of the "8s" motors is they don't have the rpm capability.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    You're limited by 8S (XL2) & gearing. I think you'd be surpised what you might get out of that set up...it would be fragile but it would go!
    Yes, you are correct. I do have some ideas as far as these limitations go. I know I'll eventually be pushing the electronics to the limit. Close monitoring of ESC and motor temps will become critical.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    I still use the stock motor. Works great. The problem with most of the "8s" motors is they don't have the rpm capability.
    That's exactly my thought. I know the big motors will have more torque to get the car moving, but is that extra torque necessary? I'm thinking if I have enough room, the RPM capability will be more beneficial to me than more torque. We'll just have to see what happens and I'll have to document everything as I go.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Castle will tell you that the world will explode if you do it but I think that's a bunch of bunk. My motor never gets over 100 degrees anyways. In my mind, a motor doesn't "know" if it's 8s or 6s....... just how much rpm it's turning and how hot it is. I don't ever free rev my stuff. It's always loaded when the hammer is dropped.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Castle will tell you that the world will explode if you do it but I think that's a bunch of bunk. My motor never gets over 100 degrees anyways. In my mind, a motor doesn't "know" if it's 8s or 6s....... just how much rpm it's turning and how hot it is. I don't ever free rev my stuff. It's always loaded when the hammer is dropped.
    It doesn't get over 100 on speed runs?
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I'm thinking if I have enough room, the RPM capability will be more beneficial to me than more torque. We'll just have to see what happens and I'll have to document everything as I go.
    Room, you mean space to drive it, right?

I had the problem, that the range is not enough, further than around 250m, I lost signal several times (I was even standing on a small ladder!)- Traxxas says it should have 1000m, but it doesnt.

You cant see it anyway at 1000m:-)

Just keep that in mind when driving that fast.
    Last edited by lcaa; 03-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It doesn't get over 100 on speed runs?
    In the winter here I bet it doesn't get over 90 actually.

RC Champion
    Yes, you are correct. I do have some ideas as far as these limitations go. I know I'll eventually be pushing the electronics to the limit. Close monitoring of ESC and motor temps will become critical.
    I'd just do a pass or two & let everything cool down, I doubt you'll have too many issues if you are conservative in this way

I'm thinking if I have enough room, the RPM...
    Yes, it will be interesting. Considering drivetrain drag etc I don't think you'll have much torque after 35-40k rpm so gearing will be the critical variable

RC Qualifier
    I would say to upgrade the bearings In the motor and diffs to the highest quality you can buy and that should help the motor handle high rpm as well as decrease resistance in your drivetrain
    And good luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post
    Room, you mean space to drive it, right?

I had the problem, that the range is not enough, further than around 250m, I lost signal several times (I was even standing on a small ladder!)- Traxxas says it should have 1000m, but it doesnt.

You cant see it anyway at 1000m:-)

Just keep that in mind when driving that fast.
    I've lost signal with cars before and it does suck!

Quote Originally Posted by PBO View Post
    I'd just do a pass or two & let everything cool down, I doubt you'll have too many issues if you are conservative in this way

Yes, it will be interesting. Considering drivetrain drag etc I don't think you'll have much torque after 35-40k rpm so gearing will be the critical variable
    Yeah, I think proper cool downs will be a must.

Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    I would say to upgrade the bearings In the motor and diffs to the highest quality you can buy and that should help the motor handle high rpm as well as decrease resistance in your drivetrain
    And good luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    I am gonna run it in as close to out of the box condition as far as everything goes except for the ESC, batteries and gearing. Also, I won't be using any telemetry. It's not even on the car. I will attempt to take out most of the slop in some of the suspension parts.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    The weather is supposed to be nice this fri, and sat. go run it! lol seriously good luck.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    The weather is supposed to be nice this fri, and sat. go run it! lol seriously good luck.
    I'm thinking about making some preliminary runs on Saturday. Should be over 100 MPH so I'm not sure my old spot will be good for that speed. We'll see.
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I'm thinking about making some preliminary runs on Saturday. Should be over 100 MPH so I'm not sure my old spot will be good for that speed. We'll see.
    dont forget to post video even if its just pre runs
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Charging the GPS now. If all goes well, I'll make a couple shakedown runs. Might not be anything spectacular, but I do need some wheel time.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Made some runs today. I set the XL2 settings all back to default so I could get a good baseline. I was getting to about 1/2 throttle on most of the runs. Towards the end I really squeezed it, but the batteries were running out of juice. One of my 3S batteries had one cell that didn't wanna charge to full capacity. I should be able to cycle it a few times and get it back to normal. I haven't used these batteries in months and they have been at storage voltage. In the future, I think I'll cycle them about once a week or so. Anyway, check out the vid and let me know what y'all think.

Jeremy

RC Champion
    Looking good. Are you planning to run 8S?

I didn't watch the full 18mins but one suggestion would be to position yourself further up the run so that you're at 100% throttle either just before or after where you're driving from. I'd also stand in the back of a truck or up a ladder for better visibility + range

Tim Smith puts a ladder in his truck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdPq...Gb0MrA&index=4

RC Champion
    This road is a little too slick for full throttle for me. It's usually dusty and now it's pollen season. My entire car is covered in pollen now. Doesn't make for good speed run conditions. These were just the first runs in my quest for stock motored XO-1 top speed. As I stated, I changed all of the ESC settings back to default so I have plenty of tweaking I can do. I can't really carry a ladder up there due to the fact that my Mustang doesn't have the room for one. Plus if you notice, the road is actually going up hill for most of the distance, so I can see the car rather well.But, it's definitely not the ideal spot, but all I have right now until I find another.

Oh and yes, I plan on running 8S at some point.
    Jeremy