RC Enthusiast

Motor Temp Advice

I might be asking to get "flamed" on this one...no pun intended, but I am running 2x 2S LiPos in parallel on my 1/16 Summit. The motor gets hot to the touch, but I haven't hit the ESC thermal cutout yet. I have several questions. First, does the ESC thermal cutout take motor temps into consideration? Second, with my battery setup and stock gears/tires etc, do I need to run with a heat sink on the motor? Third, do the heat sinks with small fans make enough difference to justify the extra few bucks? And finally, will the fan quit working as soon as a little dirt gets into it? I tried a search on these topics but couldn't find anything definitive. Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The ESC has no idea what the motor temps are.

I actually suggest NOT running a heat sink or fan until you get temps under control. Heat sinks and fans are for keeping electronics cooler, not solving heat issues.

Also, just because it is hot to the touch does not mean it is running too hot. Anything above 130F usually feels too hot, but is well within acceptable temperatures for both ESC and motor. I suggest spending some money on a temperature gun... I bought mine at Harbor Freight for less than $15.

EDIT:
    200 max for ESC and motor.
    I target 180 for a running temp... some target 160
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 03-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes buy a temp gun...thats really the only way to know the temp.But with your setup it should be just fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks fellas.

RC poster
    I would like to know the anwser to the heatsink with or without fan question?