RC Qualifier

Safe Keeping at Full Charge?

I know LiPo batteries are supposed to charged to a specific voltage per cell if the batteries are to be stored. How long of a period of time is considered "stored"? How long of a period of time is it okay to keep a LiPo battery charged? If I came in one evening from running and fully charged my batteries would it hurt them to sit charged overnight and ran the next day or the day after? If I run my batteries today should I leave them discharged overnight and charge them the next day or charge them back up the same night?

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas Battery Basics
    LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity. Store LiPo batteries in a charging bag or case. Do NOT store LiPo batteries discharged, as this will reduce battery performance and may lead to over-discharging if the packs are stored discharged for an extended length of time. The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus makes it easy to store LiPos properly; just recharge the pack using Storage mode and it will charge the pack to 50% capacity.
    The above begs the question, "What is an extended legth of time?" For me it's more than 48 hours.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    So it shouldn't hurt to leave them fully charged for less than 48 hours?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    No, it should not.

My personal preference is anything more than 30 hours... the benefits of having a good charge system means that I can charge any of my batteries from storage to full in less than 30 minutes.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    No, it should not.

My personal preference is anything more than 30 hours... the benefits of having a good charge system means that I can charge any of my batteries from storage to full in less than 30 minutes.
    Storage is approximately half charge? What charge system do you use?
    Last edited by Hwdriver; 03-26-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Storage is about half, yes.
    iCharger 206B with a 24 volt 41 amp power supply.
    A typical charge for me last summer was 4 2S 2200mAh and 2 2S 7600mAh... all at the same time.

RC Qualifier
    Since you are charging batteries with different mAh ratings are they all done at the same time or do you take the smaller ones off before the larger batteries?

I do not pull them off early... then they would not be fully charged.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging

RC Qualifier
    So basically the charger only sees one big battery pack. Does the charger automatically detect when the packs are charged?
    Does it basically see when it can't put anymore mA in the battery and say its fully charged?

You said you charge 4 2s 2200mAh and 2 2s 7600mAh batteries at the same time. If you add up the mAhs and divide by 1000 that equals 24 amps. Your charger is only rated at 20 amps. Do you just charge at 20 amps and it takes a little longer than an hour?
    Last edited by Hwdriver; 03-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Charger sees one big battery pack, yes.
    Any good charger will detect when the cells are full... it should be monitoring cell voltage, which is more important than cell capacity. Good LiPo cells that are honestly rated usually can hold more mAh than what is stated on the pack. A LiPo is considered to be unsafe to use when it can only hold (I believe) 60% of its stated capacity... another reason to charge by cell voltage and not capacity.
    Correct... a little longer than an hour from LVC.