RC Racer

Clicking noise from the front of the Summit

Hello.

I have a clicking noise.
    When i turn the front wheels it clicks and scratches.

Is it the diff? or could it be something in the transmission to?
    Should i open the transmission and check that first?

I have not opened diff or transmission on this truck, so not sure what is the simplest one.

When i turn the back wheels it's normal

does it click when turned both ways? if not check axles joints all the pins first
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Both ways yes!

Checking them now

spin one wheel while creating slight resistance with the other hand.
    unlocked they should turn smoothly in opposite directions they should not have a grinding feeling or a sticky spot.
    inspect the front center shaft may have to remove lower skid make sure its not damaged.
    if the front wheels do not turn smoothly or have dead spots so to speak that is a good indicator of spider gears
    cannibalizing each other
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Hmm...

I opend the diff.. Looks like 2 barrings is destroyed, and maybe som wear and tear on something, not sure aboutt the name.

I took some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runeven...7633088657501/

(click on the tumb and then rightclick and choose orginal for a bigger picture)

RC Competitor
    looks like you need some new bearings and a gear set!

looks like you need some new bearings and a gear set!
    +1. Make sure to check all the other bearings to make sure they won't blow up either. Hate to replace the gears twice.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    money dont grow on trees, but for the time.it takes to pull the front end down. personaly i would replace the old bearings. then if any feel good then throw them in the tool box for trail fixes.
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Racer
    Was unsure if there was 1 or 2 bearings that where destroyed. There where 2 bearings there.

Checked the exploded view. Looks like it's part number 5117 and 5379 i need.

There where some kind of oil/lube in the house that i cleaned away, to get all the metal parts from the bearing out.
    What kind of lube/oil should be in there. I Have a set of this (Traxxas 5136X Differential Oil Kit Revo) but not sure if that should be used outside the spider.

The clicking noise was probably the gearset that where slipping, because there where no bearings left!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeepinawillys View Post
    money dont grow on trees, but for the time.it takes to pull the front end down. personaly i would replace the old bearings. then if any feel good then throw them in the tool box for trail fixes.
    Yes, Will be swapping out all the bearings. Sand and drit had come inside the bulkhead. They aren't that expensive.

Ring and pinion set and bearings.
    Yes there is a inner and outer bearing mine failed there a few times brushless and brushed.lots of force being applied to those.I replaced mine with sealed ceramics in those spots.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rvenes View Post
    There where some kind of oil/lube in the house that i cleaned away, to get all the metal parts from the bearing out.
    What kind of lube/oil should be in there. I Have a set of this (Traxxas 5136X Differential Oil Kit Revo) but not sure if that should be used outside the spider.
    No that oil/lube is for inside the sealed housing where all those little spider gears are.
    I just used some waterproof general auto/machinery grease from my local auto store.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Hi

Same with my Summit. The stock bearings are not always the best quality. Bought Bearings for our VXLs and Summit from a different source and they hold up much better and are cheaper.