RC Competitor

Lightbulb Summit - Problems / easy breakable components!

Hi,

As everybody knows the RC World is not perfect and all cars have problems and some components can get broke easy in certain situations.

I would like to share my experience and also what I found from other users to help everybody to avoid the situations where you can mess up your rc car

I fount this video on youtube and I was curious to know in which situation can the differentials get broke / have problems.

I suppose, quick start in ramp, locking the differentials at high speed, or Mamba Monster or other powerful motor can create this type of problems?

What other components did you found easy breakable on Summit ?

RC Racer

(click for larger pitures)

Happend to me last week. Haven't had time to repair it. Parts is ordered. Swappig out all the bearings in the diff. I heard clicking noises etc. Front Diff bearings completely gone.

I have also replaced a broken bumper front mount. I have RPM bumper mount there now.
    I have also replaced a some suspension arms and some axle carriers.
    Will also replace the skid plate soon.

I think that's it for my Summit.

Diff bearings
    Front mount bumper
    axle carriers
    skid plate set

RC Racer
    yeah the stock bearing are no good. bought my summit new less then two months ago and the input bearings on the trans died right off and i justgot the full trans and axles bearing ordered, just traxxas for.now. will pack with my own grease. looking at the boca yellows full set. but want to get the hardened diff cups and gears so when they break the dont take out the bocas. and i bought this this to leave it stock. i give up, nothing is me proff stock. now i do play like a submarine but have not filled any electronics with water yet, knock on wood. but both times i have opened my trans it has been filled with water, filled! dont wana bash traxxas, i love my summit and would not have another rc for trailn. but waterproof not realy more like splsh proof. and it floats realy well so its never under water only paddle wheeling
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Champion
    Man those look like my rear bearings. Luckily I caught it before the balls got sucked into the gears.

RC Competitor
    Hmm.. interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Do you know if the Mamba Monster motor, being more powerful, can damage the differentials or any other components of the summit ?

RC Enthusiast
    I swear i go through traxxas bearing every day! Lol they never last very long at all and dont stay clean at all, i have pulled wveryone out and packed them but still no diffrence my wheel and diff bearings always go out, i have a place called canadian bearing close to me im going to see about replacing all the bearings with theres im sure it would be cheaper and hopefully better!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkmann View Post
    I swear i go through traxxas bearing every day! Lol they never last very long at all and dont stay clean at all, i have pulled wveryone out and packed them but still no diffrence my wheel and diff bearings always go out, i have a place called canadian bearing close to me im going to see about replacing all the bearings with theres im sure it would be cheaper and hopefully better!
    Let us know how that goes for you i have a bearing shop around the corner i may try.. When i ordered new bearings i told teh local shop i did not want traxxas bearings. Not sure what they got but they sure look like traxxas.. going to order ceramics next time they go out... give it a few days..hehe

RC poster
    WOW. Thanks for sharing. I only have about an hour of time with mine stock, then about another hour with a MM2 swap. I wasn't really bashing, but I also wasn't exactly going easy. At least I have a good idea what to keep my eyes and ears open for

RC Competitor
    What's the size of the bearings?
    Probably we can find something cheaper on ebay and also good quality.

I'll take a look!

RC Enthusiast
    You can find whole bearing kits on ebay for the summit but they range all the way from 25$ to 200$ and from abec 5 to abec 1 which abec one is the best, i stoped by my local hobby and the had a bunch of red seal bearings so im trying those for now lol