RC Qualifier

When going brushless..

How hard is it really on the diffs? For eg, running under high load at full throttle (beach) with the rear locker in? I just want to get a perspective.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Enthusiast
    It is going to be hard on eberything. If you dont like fixing things and dont like spending money then leave it alone lol. I would suggest doing as i am. My wife is getting me the mamba monster max in june that will be running two 3s 5000mah packs in parallel but at times i will run them in series for 6s power! At the moment i am doing all the upgrades i can to be ready for the added power. I startrd a thread about this but there were some really cocky people who were very opinionated and ****ed me off so the deleted mu thread lol. Would have been good for everyone wondering about this conversion. Anyway. I have added the double up slipper clutch as to not constantly fry the stock one all the time. I have added aluminum knuckles front and rear because they will not flex as much under a large load and wear out bearings. Plus they are just stronger:-) i have added hardened steel diff gears for an erevo (same parts ). I am a cnc lathe machinist so i am also goin to machine the shafts for yhe inside of the trans out of hardened steel. Try to leave a weak link between the expensive parts i am leaving the stock driveshafts alone in hope they will break before my trans and or diffs. That is the smartest thing to do which is hard to get through peoples heads is to actually find a weak link fix them all but one. And make the

RC Competitor
    I run a MMM system on 4s in my Summit and have done so since I've owned it. Bottom line is this, if you lock the diffs you are going to put all the stress on a very small area (spider gears) and after a while they will give out. Unfortunately, in both of my cases it was all four gears in the diff that showed damage. If I'm not crawling I leave the diffs open. The gain in straight line performance is minimal considering the potential for damage. You're throttle finger and driving habits are going to dictate the lifespan of your parts more than the motor pushing your vehicle. If you set your slipper properly that will help a great deal too.

RC Qualifier
    So what actual gain is there in 4s brushless apart from breaking things?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    How hard is it really on the diffs? For eg, running under high load at full throttle (beach) with the rear locker in? I just want to get a perspective.
    You can't just lock the rear, its either both open, front locked, or both locked. Anyhow to answer your question, dry beach sand is easy on any drivetrain, don't think you can really break anything on sand even bad angle landings on one wheel

RC Qualifier
    4s brushless benefit = much more speed and fun. I love it and would not have it any other way in my Summit. If I break a $5 spider gear or shaft so be it. Summit is so slow stock. It really wakes up with more power. She can handle much more than the titan or dewalt can throw at her.

RC Qualifier
    The only gain I can think of and why I went BL is to do some of the things an E-Revo can. Keep in mind the SUmmit is 2-3 lbs heavier and in all the wrong places and geared differently than an E-Revo, so I hope you get the picture as to why people risk the breakage to make the conversion, that is to have both trucks in one. But having said that, it won't stunt like an E-Revo due to the laws of physics.

The best scenario is to do the BL conversion and get an extra low slung body (and body posts etc to give a Summit a different look) so for around $800 you can have two trucks in one... sort of.

To better answer ur question accurately, BL gives more speed, power slides, burnouts, and more hooning abilities, but must be done on the right surfaces. Otherwise BL won't crawl any better than stock and less water friendly. HTH

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    The only gain I can think of and why I went BL is to do some of the things an E-Revo can. HTH
    Exactly why I did it. I did not want to spend $800 on an erevo to keep up with my friends who have erevos. My summit does everything it was meant to do but it does it better and faster. I consider that I have both in one now.

It's not hard on diffs or parts at all

I am not just imagining what it would be like to run a tekin .I've repaired what it's like.
    So yes it is breakable if you have no self control.Im not saying Dont do it but do it knowing that the potential for damage
    Is much higher.Oh and having all that extra power at your finger tip,is impossible to resist for ever.It slowly seduces you "ya just a little blip of throttle","See it's all good" come on relax just a bit more....next thing reckless with speed .....outta control.....ah I have seen this before...you have been warned....save yourself its to late for m..

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

That's ummm, a lot of parts.
    And a very rare antique cutting implement.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Special tire trimming tool. lol
    built back when you only needed to buy them once.in this case not at all as my dad gave them a good break in period for me.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Brushless sounds like a good thing I think a few driveline parts will be ordered with my brushless system haha that will be along with new tyres and rims when my dewalt is finished, also what is the difference between the Field Link Programmer and the Castle Link Programmer, I understand with the field programmer you can do on the run but are there anymore options on the link programmer?

When used with a PC, their capabilities are identical. When used in the field, the Field Link card does not have every option available, but is still well worth the extra $10us or so.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Punch control to 70-100% on the MM! That Helps.

Actually I have always said that the best benefit of going brushless is the additional controls and settings offered via most brushless systems in comparison to the EVX-2.

The EVX-2 is not a bad esc but for a rock crawler/trail truck settings like drag brake and punch control really helps alot when you are stopped on a hill and dont want to roll backwards or when going down the hill it allows you to creep down slowly as opposed to uncontrollably rolling down as soon as you release the brakes.

The ability to set your lipo cut off value, or reduce the overall power/speed (for the times your clumsy friend wants to drive your $600 truck) are also good options.

Who is dat crawling down that ther rock??

Hope his drag brake is set
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

I believe at that time my drag break was a 12 t pinion,strangely enough I am back to that same setup again (winter)
    Evx dewalt and a 12 t pinion (sorry kinda long and not real exiting)
    It does pretty good
    http://youtu.be/4V1oubwqLY8

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Ok, to put things in perspective my Summit has a MMM setup on 4s 5.8mAh LiPo's. My GF was running the same setup with NiMh batteries and she would go through both sets of 4200mAh packs before I'd even need to consider changing mine first set of LiPo's. When she was running the stock motor on the same batteries her run times were far worse and I had to loan her my spare set of LiPo's to finish the day. We're now both running the same setup motor/esc and batteries and last weekend we put in 4hrs of crawling and still had a bit of juice left in the packs. Aside from the added power and speed, the brushless motors are much more efficient. I know this post kinda focuses on the use of LiPo batteries, but the brushless systems make all the difference in terms of enjoyment, power, and runtimes.

There is no arguing that point
    Better runtimes are a plus and the programming is also a plus.
    I am mostly a climber crawler but the brushless power brought out a unknown
    To me alter ego...Captain Idiot was born
    That pic of the diff parts...those are all mine.its not always the power that gets you it's how quickly that power is applied it comes on fast.lose traction on a big wheel like these and they spin up to speed real fast then hit the ground and get full traction it's a shock load that pretty much any drive line is going to have a hard time dealing with so have fun but use some self control, setup the slipper clutch right you will be ok.
    My self control and better judgement
    Took off,catching a train to somewhere warmer and where they are listened too...So the note they left me said.lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    just asking but iam not into speed with my summit, a bl erevo is comming soon. and i find my self stalling the dewalt and was going to gear lower. 12 t? thats a idea i need to look for one. but i want the programming that comes with a bl setup. so what about running a 1/10 scale bl setup, would need to be senored i guess? run in palleral? heat would be the problem, from.what i under stand. i know i have a problem with throttle control with any thing ,so will the smaller bl work? i dont like my summit being broken and that been alot so far.
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    You can't just lock the rear, its either both open, front locked, or both locked. Anyhow to answer your question, dry beach sand is easy on any drivetrain, don't think you can really break anything on sand even bad angle landings on one wheel
    Not true, i have mine set up to lock the rear first.

4s detuned a bit and a good slipper setup you should be ok.i still run the tekin part time.with the 8200 mah the dewalt evx is giving me 2+ hrs crawling
    Per set.brushless would be even more runtime.12t pinion helps for climbing and runtime.i have run 12/58 it is pretty much stock ratio but rotates the motor more to the center and a bit lower in the chassis.seems to help it settle better and a bit more predictably.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried