Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

3.3 cooling head

Does anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket cooling head for the trx 3.3 engines? I seen some cool lookin heads but didnt know if they increased power? Rb innovations makes a nice head, and nova racing used to make a nice one too that suposably added power or something. I know this from doing research the past couple days. Can anyone help

RC Qualifier
    i seen one that looked like a Maltese Cross on eBay but im skeptical on how a cooling head can improve performance. Ive never had a problem with the stock head. The block and head are designed to work together and thats just one of those things best left unmodded imo. just my .02
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    Well i know my buddy had a jato with a 2.5 and he put this chrome head on it with a blue top they called "the fridge head" and it improved performance tramendously. It kept rigt up to his brothers 3.3 side by side and it was all because of this head. I didnt know if maybe they made something like that for the 3.3 engine.

RC Qualifier
    Golden horizon makes one

The only way, IMHO, it can increase power is to raise the compression ratio. The 3.3 does more than adequate to cool the engine, many others may look cool but typically over cool the engine causing one to lean it out to get temps up. And we all know that engines need the oil in the fuel to keep things smooth.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Well, if it could better you can run leaner, which is where the power is

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    About the best head out for the 3.3 is from rb mods not to be confused with rb innovations. He is a pro engine modder and sells a turbo button head for the 3.3 along with a whole bunch of go fast internals and services for the 3.3. You can check it out at rbmods.net

RC Qualifier
    lets all be honest, can we really tell if the engine has improved and how do we test this, on a dyno? I dont think so.., you see claims to increase HP and offering % amount of power gain etc etc but how accurate can this be when we are talking about a few Hp in a tiny motor, I think honestly its a little like a placebo (you know a sugar tablet for the sick) lol.

the majority of heads are more than likely to be for cosmetics purpose to make you truck look pretty in differant colours, those that claim an improvement in performance are probably minimal to nothing and any other type of modification unless doing yourself is not going to be cost effective..
    any mods are not going to be much more than porting and polishing anyways, this would offer better performance but minimal and its only a case of smoothing the ports and internals of the engine input and output ports.. again why would you spend money doing this to a Trx when you can pick up RB and picco fo a few more

maybe im wrong but I will save my cash and buy a picco 26 rathetr than spending money to improve a Trx 3.3

RC Competitor
    ok i hear ya.. i just looked up the turbo heads and called around a few shops and all of them are saying all these heads do is make u be able to lean ur engine more and that it will eventually kill the engines life span. so im gonna stay away from that.. im new to the revo and the 3.3 so i was just lookin for ideas.. it seems the .26 picco is the most common engine for a revo 3.3 upgrade.. what other engines are good for bottom and top end?

RC Competitor
    I have a hard time believing that since most 300-800 dollar race mills are running turbo buttons. I've seen a few people say the 3.3 turbo buttons give slightly cooler running temps and some say it increases rpm. Regardless of what you do to a 3.3 though it'll barely match a lower end .21. I'm currently running a picco .26 jl red dot on mine, I like the motor but it has given me some headache due to manufacturer defects. I have ran mine with my werks b7 off of my buggy also, and if you want a screamer that's easy to tune and and powerhouse. Get yourself a descent .21 and put the 3.3 aside as a backup.

RC Competitor
    I will look around i have definatly seen some nice engines i just didnt know what would go good in a revo since a revo is a monster truck and im not going to be racing. Im looking for good torque and top speed and i could be wrong but i would think if i put a racing engine on it, it would probably lack bottom end considering i will be running on grass and gravel and not a hard packed groomed track. But like i said i could be wrong

RC Competitor
    Yeah some race mills have a smoother power band.

RC Competitor
    well i think im just going to sell my 3.3 and invest in something new.. not sure what yet but i hope to find something right.. i have seen alot of big blocks, and some nice small blocks.. but im not sure if i want to go big block or not.. i understand the power is there but is there really a need for all that power? i have seen some nice small blocks that scream as well.. just cant put my finger on it yet..

RC Qualifier
    Yes there's a need for all that power lol and I highly recommend the xtm 457 pro it's a powerhouse I have smoked many piccos and 3.3s. My favorite part is the ease of tune. It holds a tune so well and runs very cool

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Competitor
    Is it a .28? How does it compare to the lrp engines or the picco .28? I ve heard alof good About the lrp engines as well as the picco .28

RC Competitor
    LRP is pretty hard to beat for the price!

RC Qualifier
    The xtm and Lrp are identical motors and I'm not a big picco fan they don't seem to hoLd a tune like a big block should

RC Competitor
    Ok i have heard the same thing. I have see. Alot of lrp revos out there.. Now what about the os 18tz? I see those in revos and those little suckers hammer jammer. For a small block those things are fast. Any good info on those?

RC Qualifier
    Great motor but I prefer big blocks

RC Competitor
    The .18 tz lacks the bottom end of of bigger motors. I find a well tuned 3.3 even has more bottom but they run like a clock and are bullet proof. It's always a solid choice for racing and bashing just lacks the hit of a big block.

RC Competitor
    Picco .26? Im sorry if im asking so many questions. I just got into this and my mind is racing 100 miles per second. Im stumped on which one i should get.

RC Competitor
    This is what i got when i bought it

And this is what i have so far

I have more parts on the way. Wanted to change the big rx and battery boxes out and get the smaller ones and i ordered some upgrades. Sway bars, p2 rockers and p2 red tubes (pushrods).. And some other stuff

RC Competitor
    Good deal. That's pretty much the setup on mine. What do you want to do? Bash, race? Depends which way I'd go motor wise and do you want ez start, pull start or bump start?

RC Competitor
    I could do bump if i had to. I dont race just run around my yard and bash a little. When i say bash i dont mean jumping off a house. Im not much for climbing dirt mounts or anything just you know all around running on grass dirt and some street

RC Competitor
    Personally I'd look into the picco or the os tm .21. I've heard good and bad about both. The picco is stronger and cheaper. The os is easy to tune and a good runner but a little pricier. But both are basically just drop ins and require little cost to get them going. It's hard for me to tell you what's gonna be best for you lol.

RC Competitor
    I chose the picco at the time of building my truck because it had a black head lol. Sad I know.

RC Champion
    I bought a picco .26 RD. be prepared to buy a better pipe for it

RC Competitor
    Yeah i was looking at the os .21 tm but it doesnt look to be a fast engine. Has tons of bottom it seems though. I was more leaning towards the picco 26 jl red dot or maybe, just maybe doing a big block conversion. Cant seem to make up my mind lol. Alot of good info on this site though. I really apreciate all the info you guys are helping me with. You have all been great

RC Champion
    If you want BB power then don't use the picco RD as a stepping stone. Bite the bullet and do a BB conversion

RC Competitor
    So if i buy the traxxas bb mount i can put any .28 engine in there as long as its a bump start engine correct?
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Competitor
    Yeah any bump start motor will work. If I were to build mine again knowing what I know now, I'd go big block and a 086 or jp3 side pipe.

RC Competitor
    Yeah the jp3 pipes seem to work nice . If you were to get a big block Would u go .21 or .28?
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Competitor
    Personally I like the .21's good power, less destroyed transmissions, and better fuel efficiency. The big .28's are fuel hogs lol. I have a lrp that only gets about 5 min run times lol.

RC Competitor
    Thats killer. I seen some nice lrp revos. Maybe a picco .21 5tr? Its a turbo engine and bump start so maybe that would be good
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Competitor
    Yeah I've been looking at alphas too. I posted a running video of my truck under its thread.

RC Competitor
    If you ever plan on upgrading from your picco 26 id be interested lol
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Competitor
    Haha I want to redo it but I don't feel like spending more money right now lol.

RC Competitor
    Redo what? That thing looks new. It really is beautiful i wouldnt change a thing
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Competitor
    Yeah thanks lol. I'm just a tinkerer. I have more fun building them then running them. I was thinking of building it with a bump start .21 and side pipe myself.

RC Competitor
    really? i was thinking about getting a .21 with bump start too but i dont think the .21 would have alot of bottom end like the bigger engines. but i could be wrong..
    revo 3.3 in progress