Thread: Engine temp

RC Racer

Engine temp

What is the optimal temp for these engines? Are all the nitro engines the same?(Operating temp). I was running through the second tank of an engine break in and temp got up to 320. There was lots of smoke out of exhaust. Or will temp get lower as engine gets broken in?

RC Competitor
    They are pretty much the same, yet all are different. I know, it doesn't make any sense, how you drive it, weather, and tune. All I can do is speak for myself. I have three and they all run different temps as well as different tunes to get the best yet still see good smoke. As they say, 270 or above is not good for them, but mine can run around 270 to 290 and as long as I see a good smoke screen i dont worry about it too much. They run cooler if I'm not trying to get too much out of them, I just turn the high side a 1/16th or so counter clock wise and keep bashing. Been running them since 2008 and have yet to burn one, blow one, or wear one out.

RC Qualifier
    As Revo Tim said i can only speak for my Revo but mine likes to run hot. Not un common for me to do a temp check and see 260-270 but as long as im seeing good smoke i dont worry to much. Although i agree that 320 is to hot but i have also seen my Revo that hot too. Just have to learn the personality of your TRX 3.3 and build a level of confidence.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    There is lots of smoke. The 3.3 didn't smoke too much and I managed to keep the temp around 260. But with the new engine it runs hotter. And there is lots of smoke from take off to mid to WOT.

RC Champion
    Second tank of an engine break in should not even run nearly that hot. 200 to low 200's at most. Operating temps up to 270 yes but break in absolutely not.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Racer
    First thing I did was toss the temp sensor. I found myself watching it all the time and not enjoying the run. Tune to the way the engine sounds and is leaving a good amount of smoke. Its how we did it back in the day and never had a flameout.
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Competitor
    I have tuned a ton of truck over my years working at a LHS and what every one has said rings true. The traxxas motors tend to run hotter then any other brand of engine. Take any O.S. engine and when tuned up right the run around 220 to 230... 250 deg will kill an O.S. but the 2.5 and the 3.3 start to make good power at this temp. As stated by rock-rod the temp is just a reference when you get the engine broke in tune for power and make sure there is a good amount of smoke coming out of the pipe. You can check the bottom end for proper tune by doing a pinch test. Get the engine up to temp and with it idling pinch the fuel line not the back pressure line. What this does is cut the fuel supply off and leans out the engine. If your motor is rich on the bottom end it will start to rev up. When the engine starts to rev up you start counting Mississippi 1, Mississippi 2 and so on. The time from the engine revs up to when it starts to bog should be about 3 seconds any longer to rich any less to lean. Hope this helps you.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    First thing I did was toss the temp sensor. I found myself watching it all the time and not enjoying the run. Tune to the way the engine sounds and is leaving a good amount of smoke. Its how we did it back in the day and never had a flameout.
    I Have the same engine as you, do you think there would be an air leak? Not enough ventilation around engine? Should I cut extra holes in body for more engine ventilation? How do I check for air leaks when engine in truck? There is lots of smoke, this is the part that confuses me, cause smoke = rich, rich = cooler temps. Right?