RC Champion

DIY: How to make brake lights

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-brake-lights.

From the slash boards
    Would definitely look nice and a great benefit for your guys who constantly trail ride with your buddies ( ahem Jamman). Jealous of you guys, not another summit near me for miles.

Spring break is over so I don't have time to do it but I would definitely like to see it done on a summit with natural red lights.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    From nitroRacer on the summit boards

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRCracer View Post
    i made a quick video to explain how to get working brake lights on your RC for only a few bucks.

DISCLAIMER: if you dont understand basic electronics then dont try this as there is a slight risk of damaging your Rx if you dont know what your doing, but anyone who knows how to solder and tell a positive wire from a negative (red/black) should be able to do it very easily.

note: i used one LED in the video to show simple wiring, but the 47ohm resistor i used will actually power 2x 3mm LED in parallel for left/right brake lights and keep the wiring very simple with only 2 wires (pos and neg) to the rear bumper

if you run different LED's, or want to run more or less LED then use LEDCALC.com to get the correct resistor value. its not my website but i found it very handy.

see the description for more info. i suggest testing it out on an old Rx before fitting to your RC just to be safe.

need:
    2x 3mm LED (for rpm tail light kit)
    47ohm 1/2 watt resistor
    cheap servo - i used a micro servo as the circuit board is nice and small
    Y harness, to hook it up to your ESC or throttle/brake servo on a nitro.

again i stress. if you dont have basic electronic knowledge or know what a resistor is then you shouldnt be doing it. just go buy a kit from an rc lights store.

http://youtu.be/eA-oP7AyvPY
    A perfect use for that old micro servo with the chewed up gears that's been sitting in the bottom of your tool box . I guess you would have to " Y harness" this onto your ESC cable.
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-24-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    i have been wanting brake lights. awsome thanks
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Qualifier
    What supplies would I need to do this? It is my Spring Break so I might give it a shot.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I like it ...may have to attempt this.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    well i i.was thinking to get a light extender and use both ends of the plug at the back bumper. now my question is if i take two leds off the stock harness will it hurt any thing. i added the optional factory roof lights. iam not shure how leds act. thanks.
    My posts and summit are a hazard to your health

RC Qualifier
    There's a guy in Canada that make plug and play brake light controllers, starting at $15 you can mix match, add features, plugs, LEDs, etc...

http://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-pe...pageid=1742575