RC Enthusiast

New here with a question about Stampede VXL

I've been shopping around for a while and finally decided on the Stampede VXL, seems to be a pretty bad *** truck! I've had Nitro in the past and realized I'm too much of a novice for it so I went electric. My Question-
    My truck won't seem to do anything? The battery (lipo 3300) is charged, batteries in the transmitter are good and led is green. I tried to set the 70/30 setting on the transmitter and receiver and nothing. I have unplugged the battery, turned on and off both the transmitter and receiver, and checked all the troubleshooting tips and can't figure out what's going on? I'm sure it's a very simple novice noob thing I'm missing so I need some help and advice from you guys please....thank you! I'm looking forward to getting this running and let the modding begin!!! Mike

RC Racer
    is it a brand new truck?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes. I bought it off a guy who purchased it 3 days ago and his Wife made him sell it dirt cheap. He charged the battery and that was it. It hasn't been ran yet. Not sure what else he might have done but everything appears to be in order.

RC Champion
    Do you have any steering?

What color is the light on the ESC when you turn it on?

You may need to calibrate/re-program the esc.

If you dont know how to do this, it's in your manual, or on Traxxas site. Or check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=G8PxlZ_epkM#!
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You may need to re-bind the transmitter and receiver. If its a 2.4 system they can sometimes loose bind or not be bound properly from the factory. Id try that first.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You may need to re-bind the transmitter and receiver. If its a 2.4 system they can sometimes loose bind or not be bound properly from the factory. Id try that first.
    YES, Beat me to it pave, Was just gonna edit that into my post.

RC Enthusiast
    The light is green on the esc when I turn on. There is also a red led on the black box next to the esc. I have tried the re-bind. Pushed the button, went from green to red, released and it flashed once, pulled the throttle to 100% and nothing. This is as far as I've gotten. I have tried this several times. It's almost like the transmitter is the problem. The truck seems to be doing everything right but nothing from the transmitter? I also have no steering.

RC Enthusiast
    I've watched several videos on u-tube and nothing seems to work? I unplugged the blue/white motor wires and tried the re-bind that way but still nothing? I hope I didn't just buy a broken truck.

RC Champion
    That is calibrating/programming, when pulling the throttle and such. You need to bind the TX/RX first.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas
    The transmitter and receiver are bound at the factory. Should you ever need to re-bind them, or if you wish to bind an additional receiver to the transmitter, all you have to do is press and hold the transmitter's SET button as you turn it on. Press and hold the receiver's LINK button as you power up your model, then wait for the transmitter's and receiver's status LEDs to turn solid green—which only takes a second or two.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 03-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    That is calibrating/programming, when pulling the throttle and such. You need to bind the TX/RX first.
    I guess not? Where is the receivers "link" button? I only see the one button that poewrs it up?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by giddup109 View Post
    I guess not? Where is the receivers "link" button? I only see the one button that poewrs it up?
    The receiver is in the waterproof box, where you seen the red light. You have to open up the box to get to it.

Heres a link to the manual and exploded views for the vxl pede

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...evxl-downloads

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for that....the transmitter just needed t be linked. Now another issue. When I did that first the rear wheels went full throttle with the transmitter in the neutral position? Then I tried to hit the brakes and the throttle and brake is reversed, pull in was brake? I got it to stop by disconnecting the battery. I plugged the battery back in and now the led on the esc blinks very fast green and does nothing else?

RC Enthusiast
    The sterering works now but not the throttle. Light on esc flashing green.

RC Racer
    check your throttle trim on your remote. Reset to 0 Then unplug and plug battery back in

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I think I got it. After that I just had to re-calibrate. I am going outside to see if it works. Thanks for the help....I will post the reults in a little while.

RC Enthusiast
    So now the steering is reversed? Right is left and left is right. And I thought Nitro was tricky....lol

RC Champion
    Okay so on your transmitter hold down menu until it blinks. Then hit menu once and then keep hitting set until the light blinks green multiple times then turns solid. Should fix the problem.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Enthusiast
    Searched the site and found out how to reverse it! This board rocks! Thank you!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    Okay so on your transmitter hold down menu until it blinks. Then hit menu once and then keep hitting set until the light blinks green multiple times then turns solid. Should fix the problem.
    Thanks, got it!

RC Enthusiast
    Finally got it dialed in and took it out for a spin....holy sh*t, this thing moves! Had to put the wheelie bar all the way down to have as much control as possible. This is an awesome little truck and thanks to you guys for the help! Now, what are the first things you guys would suggest as far as mods and upgrades? New tires would be close to the top I'm sure, this thing has no grip on black top. I got a 16 tooth pinion gear for it as most of my driving will be in grassy areas.

RC Champion
    Glad to hear you got it figured out, Theres tons of mod's/hop-ups etc. for the pede. Take sometime and look around the forums here, alot of helpful threads with plenty of helpful people. Also any doubts on things, you can always refer to the link I posted to the manual, exploded views, etc.

A word of warning though, when your posting here, no cursing is allowed, thats why you will see "asterisks" which the language filter catches. Traxxas keeps the forums G-Rated. So feel free to post away, but do so by the rules.

Have fun!

RC Champion
    The first things I did to my truck was aluminum shock caps, steering blocks, castor blocks, and hub carriers. If you buy the traxxas aluminum steering and hub carriers they will also come with bearing which make the wheels roll freely and take stress off the drivetrain. I also threw in a VXL shortly after.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    Glad to hear you got it figured out, Theres tons of mod's/hop-ups etc. for the pede. Take sometime and look around the forums here, alot of helpful threads with plenty of helpful people. Also any doubts on things, you can always refer to the link I posted to the manual, exploded views, etc.

A word of warning though, when your posting here, no cursing is allowed, thats why you will see "asterisks" which the language filter catches. Traxxas keeps the forums G-Rated. So feel free to post away, but do so by the rules.

Have fun!
    I put the ** in the words myself. I am on a few different forums and I keep it clean so I censored myself. I will just avoid the potty mouth all together, even with the self censoring. I'm gonna shop around and see what I can find for my Pede now. We're supposed to get some snow tonight so I might be able to shred in the white stuff tomorrow! Thanks again.....