RC Qualifier

MMM paired with an 18v rigid hammer drill motor

So I finally had some time to install this into my summit, I geared it 18/62 and initial results seem good, batts were in storage mode so I am charging them now to see what full voltage is like, but I can creep as slow as a turtle and it seems a lot more quiet than the stock setup. Will post more results after a good run. Here are a couple photos, I know the wires are long, I am probably going to shorten them, (the motor to esc wires). Thanks for looking and god bless

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Racer
    Cool! I did the same thing. I used a MME on 6s with 18v dewalt. It crawls super slow and yes... its has a stupid amount of torque!

It was super fun watching it cruise on a slow crawl over all obstacles. It also stays super cool with stock gearing.

I got cocky and over geared it ... 40T pinion 58T spur. Ran like a bat from .... and burnt up. it was cool though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMilk View Post
    Ran like a bat from .... and burnt up. it was cool though.
    With great power comes great responsibility
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    I am thinking of doing something like this but just with a Dewalt 14.4v and a MM2, im interested in the programming ability how much more power can you get being able to program?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    I am thinking of doing something like this but just with a Dewalt 14.4v and a MM2, im interested in the programming ability how much more power can you get being able to program?
    Im no expert, but reading the MMM manual seemed to suggest that using the MMM for brushed motors and using just two legs of the ESC is not fully utilizing the power potential of the ESC. The manual also seemed to say to get full Mamba power you can use all three legs of the esc bit you only have forward.

That all said, wad planning on using a MMM v2 in my summit with dual 14.4s.

RC Qualifier
    Okay when ive finished my 2 Dewalts i will be heading brushless but i thought in the mean time it might be worth getting the esc so i can change things like the LVD, etc and still be able to use my brushed motor. Do you have any idea on what LVD voltage would get me more run time but not to dangerous, eg killing a battery?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    3.4 is the lowest I would set a LVC/LVA at...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    I ran my dewalt 14.4 on 5 cell running 18/64 is it melted my solder and caught the motor on fire in about 15 min. Im running stock gearing and will never go over 4 cell now.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I ran my dewalt 14.4 on 5 cell running 18/64 is it melted my solder and caught the motor on fire in about 15 min. Im running stock gearing and will never go over 4 cell now.
    Okay thanks, for now ill be running dewalt on stock esc then head to brushless, Ive heard about that happening to the dewalts

RC Qualifier
    Okay charged the batts and took it out this morning, I am very pleased with the results, geared 18/62, speeds are a little faster than stock, I think I am liking this setup, and it crawls great as well. I know most use the 14.4v dewalt motor but this is what I had laying around and my stock motor was on its way out after over a years use. Paired with the MMM, this is an awesome setup as I can adjust settings to my preference. This is just my experience so far will see how well it holds up to regular use but I think I found what I was looking for, a little more speed and still be able to crawl like a turtle.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Racer
    MR Snookered, your using two 2s lipos for power? A total of 4s.

If your happy with 4s power on the 18v motor keep it... but it runs very happily on 6s aka 2 3s lipos!

The dewalts can take a little over volting!

RC Qualifier
    Yes 4s is what running, I wasn't looking for insane speed as I have a 2200kv cc motor, my stock motor was going on me and I had an old 18v rigid hammer drill laying around, so I used the motor out of it. I could gear up some but I am happy where it is now at 18/62. A little faster than stock and can still crawl like a turtle, I had the MMM/2200 in for a bit but from past experience with this setup I knew things were going to get broken if I kept it in. And sometimes it's fun to be able to really crawl slow, but all in all I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    The man just put a Rigid motor in his rig and all I am hearing is how great dewalts are,...sorry your thread is being glazed over snookered. Dewalt blah blah blah,....yes, I know they are great. I am glad you did someting unique and looking forward to more feedback snook!

What kind of customization did you have to do to install?

Make sure to keep your dril...lifetime warranty!!!

RC Racer
    You know, i missed the ridgid part of the post.

Im still most impressed with the 18volt choice. And was trying to compare it to my 18 volt choice. I meant no offence

But go 6s! Or 5s. Dont under volt! (Ignoring the post where you said you like 4s)

RC Qualifier
    Not much customization, had to drill out the motor mount holes and cut a but off the spur gear cover. I like the way it runs on 4s, faster than stock and I can run 18/62 gearing and not break a sweat on the motor or the MMM, I have my drag brake set to 20% and disabled punch control. It runs quite well and is definitely a viable option to me as I already had the drill, I am out of town for the week but when I get home I may gear it up to 22/62 and see what happens. I like the way it is now but just to see how much I can push it I will try the higher gearing, as for running 6s I have an erbe that is in pieces because of 6s lol. Like I said, I wanted to be able to still crawl and this setup suited my needs perfectly. God bless and thanks for all the comments.

Sent from my iPhone 5