Thread: Newb Rally Q's

RC Competitor

Newb Rally Q's

Hey all. I bought a summit a couple of months ago and I love it. upgraded the servo to a savox 1230 and cells to the spc 8200's. I don't like driving it on the street so I'm thinking about a Rally.

I want a faster 4wd model that would also do ok off road on a well made trail or road surface. Is the Rally for me? If so, what's the best price I can hope to pay? I see $408 out there but I'm ok to wait longer if there might be a sweeter deal somewhere like on Tower hobbies in the future.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

RC Champion
    The rally or the slash lcg is definatly the way to go if you plan on running on the streets and dirt.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Competitor
    Do you suggest any immediate upgrades?

RC Competitor
    Do not go for upgrades so fast
    Try it first. I have stock one - and it is good. I will go for a sway bars though
    Dusty Motors shrouds

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The rally is an excellent platform for smoother offroad running but if you think youll be on anything rougher than a dirt road, id suggest starting with an LCG slash. You can always get a car body for it or a set or street tires but it gives you a bit more clearance for larger obstacles you may encounter.

If you sticking to JUST paved roads or smooth dirt roads, the rally is way fun.

IMO, there are VERY few immediate upgrades necessary. The slipper bearing adapter is one, I think some soft of motor mount with an oversized bearing is another (king heads or Hot Racing) and, ive had great luck with the Axis chassis brace. Its not a must have, but you read about alot of broken chassis and I think the brace will help prevent that.

Other wise, go out and have fun with it. I ran the tires bald on my rally with NO upgrades and loved it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info and parts suggestions! tower hobbies has the $50 coupon right now but from the emails they send me, I'm getting the picture that they run that special often. I'll think about the Slash and thanks for making that suggestion. I plan on sticking to the street and well maintained dirt roads but the option for more offroad capability would be nice. I'm thinking I might want a 3s lipo and the battery extender part. I have some spc 8200's so I'm hoping to use those in it, as well, but I noticed they are a bit taller than the stock nimh cells.

Youll need the extension for the 8200s for sure. I have those as well and they are BIG. A standard 2S hardcase pack will fit no problem. But i would think any 3S larger than about 4000mah would need the expansion as well.

If you do plan to run 3S youd be well advised to upgrade the power system. IMO, the VXL 3S is JUST powerful enough to handle 2S with reasonable gearing. Any more voltage and you run into heat issues VERY fast.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I live in a rain forest so it always pretty cool to cold outside, and wet. Hopefully that helps. I've been looking hard at these Slash's after your advice and I'm liking them a lot! I think that might be the best way to go for me. There are like 3 different versions. Not sure which one to get...

If you want to do alot of offroading the base slash is good... it has a higher chassis so it doesnt handle as well on smooth roads and stuff. The Slash Platinum is the LCG chassis, same as the rally, but comes with all the traxxas upgrades you may want to add later, but they are already installed. But it does not include a radio or battery and the body is unpainted. Then there is the slash ultimate... im not sure if this model is the LCG chassis or not but the ultimate is basically just a platinum with a radio and battery and I think the body comes painted.

If you already have a traxxas radio and batteries maybe look at getting the Platinum and getting another receiver for the slash. Its the best way to get all the upgrades you may want down the road.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    thanks again! Yeah I was thinking about just getting the platinum and adding the receiver, but it would be nice to have 2 fully operational trucks with transmitters so I could drive with my girlfriend or a friend. I'm thinking of just getting a smaller 3s so I can do some occasional speeding. I've been reading a lot about people breaking more parts with the 3s packs, lol

RC Competitor
    Also get a chassis shroud
    Dusty Motors shrouds