RC poster

Considering a 4x4 pede

Hey guys and gals .. I had some questions and such and after 3 hours of google melting my brain I figured I would just ask and be done with it lol . So I have been a fan of rc for years but just recently broke out my xl5 pede and got back into it.. shortly after (meaning a matter of hours) I stripped my idler gear in the tranny lol .. when I went to see about a replacement my little brother went with me and talked me into buying him a xl5 rustler ..and now im wanting a new truck lol .. I dont race or anything just bash around and have fun .. I was excited for an emaxx but have realized it wont fit the bill for my needs amd desires so now im leaning to the 4x4 pede :-) I have poked around on here and noticed alot of velineon issues seems alot come from the wrong batterys ..but I want to ensure its as reliable as possible as I only have 3 days a month at home to play (career truck driver) .so that has got me thinking about a motor and esc replacement next month (then I could toss the velineon system on my brothers rustler) . I never plan to use more than a 2s but would like to be able to still use the nimh packs I just bought aswell .. I dont need ridiculous speed (a little faster than my stock xl5 on a 7 cell nimh would be plenty) I would rather enjoy longer run times though and I dont want to be concerned with heat. I was looking at the castle sidewinder3 esc and the 1410 3800kv ..would this fit my needs ? I would really like to stay waterproof so I can play in less than desirable conditions due to my limited time to play. So could the 3800kv and sw3 be my ticket? And is the velineon decent on nimh batteries untill I can get our stocks of 2s packs up? And the C rating on said 2s packs what should I shoot for to use on both systems? Thanks in advance .. happy wheeling!

A Sidewinder 3 with a 3800 in the 4x4 Pede might be just a little too light. There are other options to stay waterproof within an acceptable budget like with a Hobbywing WP SC8 (also available from brands like Leopard and Orion).
    When you go brushless, best thing is to make the step to Lipo. Most NiMH batteries can't deliver the power to use the full potention of a BL combo.

Looking at durability, the 4x4 Pede is a great choice IMO.
    Nobody is born with experience

The pede 4x4 is a good tough truck with lots of parts that are cheap and easy to get.Look at the hobbywing sc8 as peter said and tenshock 4 pole 550 motors and if you stick with 2s the 3800kv will fit the bill.And welcome to forum if you need help or advice this is the place.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Well I am going to get some lipos but after spending the 400 something for the truck and a lil bit on parts for my brothers truck lipos arnt in the budget right now lol ... I would really like to stay with castle as everyone seems to love their products and the one rc friend I have close by runs castle in his revos and slash and hes had great luck with them .. what do you mean by too light?...this is why I asled some people say 3800kv for 2s some say 2650kv .. im totally lost on this brushless thing lol .. I remeber when my rc10 had a novak super rooster runnin 7cells was the hotness now a 7cell nimh seems like disposable alkalines lol

The 3800 will still go forward pretty well on 2S. The 2650 needs more voltage to get awake. The last one is a risk for your stock driveline. If you don't want to upgrade to MIP or Tekno shafts, you better stick with the 3800. Not that upgrading the driveshafts is a bad thing, but is asks a larger budget.

RC poster
    About what kv would you recommend ? I will take a look at the hobby wing sc8 but I really like the castle escs and the side winder is only 80 bux .. but as of right now the only thing im pretty much dead set on is the 4x4 pede itself lol .. I do have a traxxas easy peak charger .. the one with the lcd screen setup for lipos and nimh due to my dynamite prophet 2 dying a week or so ago lol .. If I remember correctly its a 6 or 7 amp charger . Any recommendations on cheaper quality 2s lipos?

RC Competitor
    i have a pede 4x4 and i just put the tenshock 3400 motor and the hobbywind 120a ecs. and it is wicked wicked wicked. on 3s the thing will hold a wheelie through a football feild and than i can nail it and it will just do a backflip. you should get one great truck parts are cheaper.

RC Competitor
    check out the project stampede. thats with the hobbywing and the tenshock motor. than i just put in.

The WP SC8 can handle twice the power that a Sidewinder can handle.

RC poster
    Yea I actually jist got done checking it out .. it seems nice on paper but didnt have much luck finding anything in english on those tenshock motors lol gogle amd my galaxy note 2 dont get along most the time.as far as handling power ill probably never need more than a 2s can give me .. my main reason for wanting lipo to begin with is just longer run times .. im pretty content with the speed of my yellow esc xl5 on a 8.4v nimh I just want longer run times and reliability and to not worry about heat lol .. I have a supercharged nissan if I wanna go fast lol... so somewhere around a 3200 to 3500kv seem pretty acceptable for my desires?

They sell tenshock in a few usa sites and flea bay too dude....peace

RC Champion
    if you want castle, then the MMP/3800 combo is great for a stampede 4x4.

You can save a few bucks by getting the Losi-branded MMP (losb9504) and a used 3800 from eBay. Total would be around $140. You wouldn't have any warranty support though.

Don't discount the SC8 ESC. It's nice too. But if you want castle, then the above way may be the best to stay within budget and use 2S/3S lipo.

RC Qualifier
    The stock motor and esc work great on 2s, waterproof and reliable. Its when you go 3s you run into heat issues, and snapping driveshaft yokes. If you upgrade your motor, then you will snap driveshafts, and get metal ones, then strip wheels, then upgrade to 17mm hex drive wheels. If you really wanna have some fun with a big motor you will end up close to a grand in reciepts, I don't add mine up so I'm not lying to my wife If you only have 3 days a month to play I would stay 2s and have a blast. You mentioned your old one was fun enough anyway, 2s will kick its butt.

RC poster
    Braap thats kinda exactly what I wanted to hear lol ..but now I gotta find a cheap brushless setup for my brothers rustler instead lol .. budget is a relative term as I really dont have one ... I spend alot of money on my hobbies (currently have about 5 grand in stereo system and still not even close to done lol ) ...any recommendations on kv for a rustler? Again nimh and 2s will be all thats used so nothing crazy is needed .. while poking around fleabay I seen leopard esc ammd motor combos for like 70 to 80 bux are those any good?....thanks again you guys

Those combo will be sweet for what you need and kv wise i would say 4000kv-4400kv for a rustler if you are sticking 2s in it.....peace

RC poster
    Thank you again buddy ... now just to find some decently priced lipos

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman489 View Post
    Braap thats kinda exactly what I wanted to hear lol ..but now I gotta find a cheap brushless setup for my brothers rustler instead lol .. budget is a relative term as I really dont have one ... I spend alot of money on my hobbies (currently have about 5 grand in stereo system and still not even close to done lol ) ...any recommendations on kv for a rustler? Again nimh and 2s will be all thats used so nothing crazy is needed .. while poking around fleabay I seen leopard esc ammd motor combos for like 70 to 80 bux are those any good?....thanks again you guys
    No problem, wish I knew that going into this hobby. Would have saved allot of headaches to do all the upgrades when it was new. Hobby shop guy wasn't honest about this I think to not scare me away from getting my pede.

RC poster
    Yea never trust salesmen lol .. they fib to push product ...think ima do the sc8 and a tenshock 4600ish kv ror my brothers rustler ... should be plenty and better than his titan lol

Yea never trust salesmen lol .. they fib to push product ...think ima do the sc8 and a tenshock 4600ish kv ror my brothers rustler ... should be plenty and better than his titan lol
    If you put that in a rustler you will need to put wings on it because it will be a rocket dude and yes sales people are slimy.....peace

RC Qualifier
    To be fair to traxxas a 3s lipo in the 4pede is suggested for speed runs only. Where you roll into the throttle with a tall gear to go 55+. Then you have to try it out in the dirt, and it gets hot quick so you gear down to keep it cool. Well that also gives you crazy torque which breaks stuff. So getting a 3s lipo is the gateway of the waaay over powered addiction.
    Last edited by braaap58; 03-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.

RC poster
    Well guys I bought one .. been running it on my nickel packs and love it .. its a bit faster than my xl5 pede and twice as fun .. so far broke the wheelie bar and a rear hub carrier lol .. my brother in the last 2 or 3 days has snapped a front a arm ..camber link.. caster block.. and bell crank peice on his rustler lol ... o well weve had a blast playing with em .. thanks for all the input and ultimately helping me decide to get it

RC Racer
    Well guys I bought one .. been running it on my nickel packs and love it .. its a bit faster than my xl5 pede and twice as fun .. so far broke the wheelie bar and a rear hub carrier lol .. my brother in the last 2 or 3 days has snapped a front a arm ..camber link.. caster block.. and bell crank peice on his rustler lol ... o well weve had a blast playing with em .. thanks for all the input and ultimately helping me decide to get it
    That's awesome glad you're enjoying the pede like many others here. I've had mine for about 4 months and still love it to this day.

+1 I love mine and have bashed it hard for over 2 years and it still makes smile tons......peace

RC Racer
    everyday before work i squeeze the tires to hear the air come out and then compress the shocks before I leave. and then I say "yeah, that's my pede!"

I like to pick mine up and spin the wheels and give it a check over even if i am not going to use it.I think i am so proud of what i have done to it and the way it pays me back with me smiling after every bash......peace