Thread: 60% Fuel

RC Competitor

60% Fuel

How much gain you receive from 20% to 60%

havent heard of 60% before what brand is it? i know there is 33% and 40% but havent heard of that before or more less seen it.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Iíve never ran 60% but 50% gives you a substantial increase. Hopefully you have a good handle on tuning or your engine will not like you very long.
    I also have never run 50% in a 3.3 and would not recommend it unless you are aware it may be fatal to the longevity of the engine and willing to take the chance.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    I’ve never ran 60% but 50% gives you a substantial increase. Hopefully you have a good handle on tuning or your engine will not like you very long.
    I also have never run 50% in a 3.3 and would not recommend it unless you are aware it may be fatal to the longevity of the engine and willing to take the chance.
    Tuning, Glow plug Matching and head shimming, some of this will be needing attention.

Since you are increasing Nitro you may have to change the combustion timing, not needed with 30% in most cases, but higher contents of Nitro may need to retard the combustion timing due to the lower flash point of the fuel (running cooler).. I'm sure since you've dealt with 1:1's there is the same thing especially with Alcohol burners, your'e not going to use as high a compression or have the timing as advanced in compared to running straight 110 octane and high compression engines. Same principle.

This is easy to tell when tuning on the shimming,,, if you can't get a tune and when you do it runs way too hot or you hear detonation,,, you need to add a shim, thickness of the head shim or shims (you can use more than 1 at a time if need be).

Also with a Glowplug motor going to higher % of Nitro you often need to go to a cooler running plug, at 60% I would defintely go from a hot plug to a medium plug.

I've ran 50% and the tuning window is a lot less forgiving with changes in temps, but yeah you get a bigger bang (power increase) that's for certain. Also with it burning cooler, watch the temps,,, these engines are designed with 20%-33% nitro in mind)... So don't run it as hot as you would if you are using 33% or less or you may be too lean.... You will be running at lower than previous operating temps on that motor than you would with 33%,, not a lot lower but lower.

60%???? Is that some home brew? I know guys who make their own Nitro fuel and sell it at the track I race at,,, Either that or is it heli fuel? Be careful of oil content levels if it is for a heli, plane or boat....

Enjoy!
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Wouldn't you want to raise say the exhaust port to advance it instead of retard it? If going for less compression or am I way off? Also would it be more wise to rechamber your head for less compression so that you don't have to increase the squish to where the engine runs hotter? I may be completely wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kshoulde35 View Post
    Wouldn't you want to raise say the exhaust port to advance it instead of retard it? If going for less compression or am I way off? Also would it be more wise to rechamber your head for less compression so that you don't have to increase the squish to where the engine runs hotter? I may be completely wrong
    There's combustion timing and then there's port timing... I'm discussing combustion timing... Combustion timing is set by the head shims, and that's what they are for.... Port timing is a totally different animal... One I have not attempted to tame yet... Hence why you deal with professional modders with the equipment to do such...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Adding head shims also increases squish clearance therefore disabling the ability to adequately cool was my thinking... also it raises the glow plug that much farther... couln't all this be offset by a lower compression head and running the coldest plugs you can find?

RC Qualifier
    Check your IM box
    Adding head shims also increases squish clearance therefore disabling the ability to adequately cool was my thinking... also it raises the glow plug that much farther... couln't all this be offset by a lower compression head and running the coldest plugs you can find?

There's a reason why when you by head shims they come in different thicknesses... This is why. IT does not affect the cooling so much since you ARE increasing the Nitro % a good bit... That amount of nitro will bring down the burning temps of the fuel anways... Running a colder plug only means the element is deisgned to glow at cooler temps,it has nothing to do directly with cooler running temps itself, but you want the cooler plug running at cooler temps because the hgih nitro fuel runs cooler temps....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous